PLASTIC.V.STEEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

spreadswells

ON THE SITE WORK IM SEEING MORE AND MORE PPL POLISHING THEIR WALLS WITH A PLASTIC TROWEL.THY SAY IT BETER SHINE .IV HAD AGO WITH 1 IT SEEMS TO BE TRUE BUT I FEEL LIKE ITS CHEATING A BIT LESS TOWELING WHY? HOW SHINNY DO PPL WANT THEIR WALLS?

i fancy havin a go with a plastic trowel, are they for board only or can i use it for reskim. cheers

also which one do u recomend

WELL THE 1 IM TRYING AT THE MOMENT IS HOME MADE .OLD TROWEL FROM GARAGE PLASTIC EXIT SIGN GRIP FILL IT ON LEAVING ABOUT 2 INCHES ETHEIR SIDE BRAKE IT IN ON SET WALLS PLASTIC GETS HOTER FASTER SO BREAKS IN FAST.AND KEYLINE SELLS SMALL SIMELER THINGS MAN MADE BETER OW THE PLASTIC IM ONABOUT IS THE REAL FLEXABLE EXIT SINGS THE 1NS THY STPLE OR SCREW TO WALLS/TRY IT OUT NOT GONA COST YA.

do marshalltown sell plastic trowels ;D

i bet the forman's like what happend to all the fire exit signs ::)

NA THEIR NORMALY TO BUZZY TRYING TO GET ME OFF MA STILTS UNLESS IT SUITS THEM FOR ME TO BE ON THEM.JOBS WORTH THE LOTA THUM LOL.

ive seen a lad using a rectangle cut out of a round black bin. Filed the edges down, give it gud rub with wire wool, bobs ur uncle.

I Have been using one for over 10 years and wouldnt be without it. I make my own in a T shape with a strip of 1/4" ply, 2ft of roof batten or 2x1 and plastic fascia connecting strip(H Trim). Rub it with some wire wool to break it in and use it 10 Mins after final trowel BELTIN

im still not gettin the point of this... 10 minutes after final trowel? why do they call it final trowel then?
why would you want to polish a wall anyway?
does a wall ever have a polished finish once its been painted??

there were 4 of us on a job for 5 weeks and every time we walked past this wall you had to polish it ........same line right in the middle ;D

Final trowel is the one before the dry trowel, been plastering for 15 years and always polish my walls up its a better job and who cares about painters?????

i give mine one trowel and brush the angles in if they really need it ;)

Final trowel is the one before the dry trowel, been plastering for 15 years and always polish my walls up its a better job and who cares about painters?????
wot? dont you mean the 'penultimate trowel' then?
i usually get mine plenty smooth, perfect to paint, flatten 2nd coat, then 2 more tops. no slacks, stripes, just walk away, done..
in fact i dont use water unless its gone a bit quick... maybe lick the edges with the brush... so i suppose all i do is 'dry trowel'..

i usually get mine plenty smooth, perfect to paint, flatten 2nd coat, then 2 more tops. no slacks, stripes, just walk away, done..
in fact i dont use water unless its gone a bit quick... maybe lick the edges with the brush... so i suppose all i do is 'dry trowel'..

R O U G H

I agre with the ppl who say dont make to shiny . the plastic is same as final trowel just bring shine up more than the metal .depends on who ur working for some prats that are called formen shiny walls is how thy judge u. same when i do privat work thy come sneek a look along wall see how shiny it is ..shourly its beter for the paint in the long run if it go sumit to stick to sumit like keying ur first coat renders .

;D ;D ;D being a decorator.... i also think a polished surface is the worst possible finish. each to there own

exactly ;) thats why i just one coat mine and give it a light sand in the morning :)

i often decorate the jobs i've plastered and i'll give the wall a dry trowel to put a slight shine on, no need to water down the mist coat, just use contractors emulsion no probs.

whys segs method "rough" bestest, i do much the same, never had a complaint from domestic or agent...

good tip....... fresh plaster should never be sanded, it will effect the strengh of the plaster. it should have a miss coat first

you know what that is honestly the first time ive been called rough... messy, yes, but never rough...
some quotes ive had...
'youve turned out some of the best work weve produced as a company'
'wish i had 10 blokes like you'
'im well impressed with that finish, specially over artex'
or my personal favourite...
'you can put that straight edge away mate... you'll make us all look like c'nts' ;D

i dont mean disrespect anyone..... but what ive learnt since being in the construction trade is that we all reckon everybody else is rough, it cracks me...... up even i do it ;D

sorry boys right on it 2 nite ;D

ahhhh!!!..
just remembered something...
i'm tellin lies...
ex girlfreind of mine use to call me her bit of rough...
your not my ex bird come back to haunt me are you bestest??

also just wanted to say that i couldnt care less what sort of job everybody else dose, i just like to have a laugh ;D

this is a plasterers forum full of plasterers how many times do you go over a wall? a perfect job can easily be done by a tradesman with min of water and min of trowel ups

the first thing you are learned as a plasterer is never polish your walls its not needed (it only feels good and sometimes looks good) but painters dont like polished walls or they never used to years ago
its just time wasting, the time it takes to polish a 30m room you could have had an extra 8m wall on, if you are skimming 3x 30m rooms 90m per day thats an extra 24m complete you could have if your not polishing for the same amount of energy used, and at £2.50/£3.00 per m thats £60/£70 extra a day between you and your labourer

new work --1 coat knauf no lay in --- 2 trowels finished perfect job, very rarely 3 if you catch it wrong/' 30m/35m batch
new work -- 1 coat multi BG finish --1 lay in --1 sponge --1 trowel , sometimes 2 if you catch it wrong, 25m/30m batch perfect job
old work-- 1coat and 1 layin or, 2 coats if bad walls useing multi-BG- 1 sponge, 1 or 2 trowels, perfect job 15/20m batch

to dry trowel a room to put a slight sheen on takes 2mins before going home, thats what i was taught by a time served plasterer. this site has shown me we all have different ways of going about the same job, even the apprenticed blokes.

tommy, when you did your 5yr c & g were you taught to 1coat multi finish????

You dont need to polish walls up if your doing domestics/private work the public have not got a clue about plastering. When your working on site doin house after house and the person (foreman) in charge knows what hes on about you have to leave a perfect job that mean polish your walls or you dont get paid. Never heard any plasterer say dont polish till i found this site.
And whats this one coat shite now thats rough

(deleted due to authors lack of brain!!!) dp

british gypsum state a matt, blemish free finish .............argue the toss with them ;D

Why would u ever want to go back to a job to sand it the next day thats embarrasing imo. Time is money.

neither does the site manager, everyone goes over the top these days just give it one nice thick coat a quick spat and sponge and a quick cross trowel oooooh perfect ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.