Prefer skimming artex than...

Members online

b*ll***s. By that logic why is the existing fine? How would a fex extra mm make any difference? Don’t say the extra weight as it’s distributed ovef the entire area.

Only overboard if ceiling is failing
Artex isn't solid thickness all over , so the thicker parts only cover a small area's so is less prone to cracking
Another point is your relying on someone else's work , it should be checked that its not
already a cover on old skim , more bonding issues , dirty boards , dry PVA etc

Artex isn't solid thickness all over , so the thicker parts only cover a small area's so is less prone to cracking
Another point is your relying on someone else's work , it should be checked that its not
already a cover on old skim , more bonding issues , dirty boards , dry PVA etc

17/18 years dread to think how much artex I’ve covered i do it week in week out in all different properties. Never had one fail. I know when to overboard and it’s rare.

People overboard artex just for the fun of it. It’s crazy.

I still wear these...
For PE.

17/18 years dread to think how much artex I’ve covered i do it week in week out in all different properties. Never had one fail. I know when to overboard and it’s rare.

People overboard artex just for the fun of it. It’s crazy.
Just making a point , you think its not valid but if you were asked to put 1/2" solid on a ceiling would you do it

Just making a point , you think its not valid but if you were asked to put 1/2" solid on a ceiling would you do it

It isn’t a point if it’s not true tho it’s an opinion. It’s all down to the plasterers knowledge and skills. @John j posted a picture of skim coming off a non artex ceiling then other day. Non artex and probably 2mm skim and came down in sheets.

Never needed to put half inch on a lid. What sort of artex you skimming lol.

Magic mix all day long! Bonding then skim is typical nonsense from a day rate worker hanging the job out! Hahahahaha! ;)

I do both tbf mate all depends but mostly bonding n skim to cover then 2 super tight coats of skim same mix. Perfect every time

It isn’t a point if it’s not true tho it’s an opinion. It’s all down to the plasterers knowledge and skills. @John j posted a picture of skim coming off a non artex ceiling then other day. Non artex and probably 2mm skim and came down in sheets.

Never needed to put half inch on a lid. What sort of artex you skimming lol.
My point is you wouldn't want to put thick plaster onto a ceiling which is flexible and rely on previous plastering , its not meant for you as you will carry on regardless lol , no offence , its for others to consider when deciding how to proceed , been flattening artex for 35y and I may be Ott but doubt even JJ would put solid 10mm on a ceiling , as I pointed out , depends on foot traffic above and span / flex of ceiling

My point is you wouldn't want to put thick plaster onto a ceiling which is flexible and rely on previous plastering , its not meant for you as you will carry on regardless lol , no offence , its for others to consider when deciding how to proceed , been flattening artex for 35y and I may be Ott but doubt even JJ would put solid 10mm on a ceiling , as I pointed out , depends on foot traffic above and span / flex of ceiling
Who.s putting ten mm . I.m only on about filling pattern

So your concern is the adhesion to the artex? Or the extra weight on joists?

Plaster doesn’t flex at any thickness
So that's the point I was making ,
Not necessarily to you but others who " do a bit of artex back to flat "
Consideration of a few things rather than capability

So that's the point I was making ,
Not necessarily to you but others who " do a bit of artex back to flat "
Consideration of a few things rather than capability

Sounded to me like you was insinuating that a thinner coat of plaster would flex and not crack, but a thicker coat wouldn’t.

Anywho who cares. You’re right in that skimming artex isn’t always straight forward and can end in failure if the spread isnt knowledgable on it/site monkey doing a Saturday job lol

Ironically I'm doing mine Saturday!

Sounded to me like you was insinuating that a thinner coat of plaster would flex and not crack, but a thicker coat wouldn’t.

Anywho who cares. You’re right in that skimming artex isn’t always straight forward and can end in failure if the spread isnt knowledgable on it/site monkey doing a Saturday job lol