premier cement

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruddez

I have had problems with premier cement in the past as I cant get blue circle but if anybody is using it are they having problems with a lot of suction when dashing over I am putting in waterproofer only 170 mls as not to overdose the mix I am hosing the wall down but within minutes the wall is dry I know its warm but this is happening in the shade as well

what waterproofer you using mate ? and what sand , and whats your scratch rate mixed at ?

theres so many things that can be going on with this one Ruddez, that my poor little one finger typing couldnt keep up with , but i can only give you a couple of heads up tips that i use , they have served me well up now , and i can list them' but sand is different for starters , up and down the U.K , what sand i use maybe different to what you can get hold of , but hey ho here goes , . I like to use sovereign waterproofer and mix it to the water ratio rather than cement ratio , sand can wet and sand can to dry so the amount of water you put into a gauge changes , but you add waterproofer to the water the amount will be the same throughout the gauges you use ,

Sand , i like to use a soft washed and a soft sharp and mix them as i think best , so again with in this case a dashing 1st coat i would mix soft and sharp to equal ammounts ,so the heavy stone content from the sharp would help in stopping water ingress .

Last edited:
when we hose a wall down we hold the hose at the top of the wall and leave it their untill the water reaches the base of the wall. not just a spay a good soaking. we now use soverign waterproofe additive as we find that this works. always put additive into the bucket of water and give it a good mix with an offcut of angle bead. some waterproofe additives are useless.

Now render mix strenghs , personally i think 4-1 is a basic strong mix, especially when mixed with sharp sand , great as a starting point on 3 coat work , but i like to use it in this dashing case, a 5-1 scratch coat . IM i getting boring yet ?

the question was do you have problems using premier cement because of the additives in the cement you have got to be careful with the waterproofer not to overdose the mix,the mix I use is a 4-1 with 3 in 1 everbuild waterproofer,plastering sand and the water put in the mixer with the waterproofer and let to mix before adding the sand/cement

Used to use sovereign a lot but the rep has not called us up in years!

Does the premier cement you are using have additives in it already?
I avoid using cements like mastercrete, rugby premium, and castle premium and stick to OPC if using waterproofer.

rugby premium is premier cement I know it has additives but the merchants we use eg selcos only stock rugby cement

The rugby OPC in paper bags is good cement I found. I mix my waterproofer 5ltr in a 40gal drum and use that fur the mix. A general mix would be 4:1 and I get a good mix.

External rendering always use normal Sika. Damp proofing always use sovereign rendermix, it's got a salt neutraliser built in. Excellent next dat delivery, not cheap but excellent tech support, unlike Sika
To the OP, what are u rendering over ?

the question was do you have problems using premier cement because of the additives in the cement you have got to be careful with the waterproofer not to overdose the mix,the mix I use is a 4-1 with 3 in 1 everbuild waterproofer,plastering sand and the water put in the mixer with the waterproofer and let to mix before adding the sand/cement
@ruddez I've used the Everbuild 3:1 waterproofer for years and find it excellent. I also avoid these fancy cements like the plague and I am sure this is the root of your problems.

Never seen sovereign for sale down this way either..
@johniosaif you can buy it direct mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
andy and deris comments are right about these new cements with added additves you get a lovely mix but the problems they cause as I have experienced the render blowing and cracking when overdosed with waterproofer and now the suction it creates is making it difficult to lay the dash coat over without drying so quick I will probably have to unibond the render coat to control the suction and from now on I will have to go out of my way to other merchants to pick up some blue circle

Status
Not open for further replies.