Price per metre depending on thickness?

rt88

Been doing thin coat systems predominantly for the better part of 2 years now and when on pricework we have always been happy and earned well. Especially being books in and have a van fuel card holidays etc. Normally when we go onto block work it’s 10mm of basecoat in 2 passes is the spec. We get 6 quid a metre per pass and £1m2 for primer, also get a linear rate for beads. So depending on the amount of beading we are around the £20m2 mark for the whole system. This weeks job is 15mm of basecoat and when we mentioned maybe paying more without hesitation they are giving us £10m2 for the first pass as it’s to be 10mm. It got us thinking how much they are actually making from us if the can nearly double the rate without thinking. This isn’t a moan as we are happy and earn really well when we have the metres to go at. Just wondering if we are near what everyone else gets for site prices

You have been getting paid rates from the get go that you seem to have been happy with,now even better your getting alittle brucie bonus it’s nice that they have acknowledged your request and are paying you more for a change in the spec,don’t try to work out how much there making off you you will never know you seem to be on a good little number don’t ruin it as the bible states gluttony is a sin

You have been getting paid rates from the get go that you seem to have been happy with,now even better your getting alittle brucie bonus it’s nice that they have acknowledged your request and are paying you more for a change in the spec,don’t try to work out how much there making off you you will never know you seem to be on a good little number don’t ruin it as the bible states gluttony is a sin
Definitely I’m not moaning in the slightest, I was just more curious to know what the projects we where on are worth etc, didn’t realise there was as much money involved if they could nearly double a rate instantly over a phone call. At only 28 you never know what the future holds and knowing what big scale jobs are worth etc would be good knowledge if I ever decided to go out on my own or down the self employed subby route. (Which I have no intention of doing anytime soon) just curious to know

Been doing thin coat systems predominantly for the better part of 2 years now and when on pricework we have always been happy and earned well. Especially being books in and have a van fuel card holidays etc. Normally when we go onto block work it’s 10mm of basecoat in 2 passes is the spec. We get 6 quid a metre per pass and £1m2 for primer, also get a linear rate for beads. So depending on the amount of beading we are around the £20m2 mark for the whole system. This weeks job is 15mm of basecoat and when we mentioned maybe paying more without hesitation they are giving us £10m2 for the first pass as it’s to be 10mm. It got us thinking how much they are actually making from us if the can nearly double the rate without thinking. This isn’t a moan as we are happy and earn really well when we have the metres to go at. Just wondering if we are near what everyone else gets for site prices

Yes

rates are based on the house builders mate

London and Newcastle are 2 different worlds

what you can buy up north compared to down that rat infested shiit hole is unreal

I've 2 brothers 1 in Canada 1 is London

I'm up north

Canada brother says plastering is shite
London brother is paying £1600 a month to rent a 3 bed house

I've a 4 bed mortgage £600 a month
4 kids eat £1000 a week

Preach Neil Degrasse Tyson GIF

got some clowns last year -@ / £55 a metre fit only

If rates were really based on thickness then renderers and plasterers would be by far the best paid. Definitely the thickest I’ve ever met in my life.

Last edited:
If rates were really based on thickness then renderers and plasterers would be by far the best paid. Definitely the thickest I’ve ever met in my life.

The way that I was taught in London was keep the base coat as tight as possible. We would scrape off to the scrim. Pin the mesh then an other tight coat ,finish to receive the thin coat.
In the Netherlands they wanted a ticker top coat . They would fit widgets to the walls after 1 st coat which would give the thickness required.

Do you not quote that extras are applied if material goes over a certain thickness?
Doesn't matter whether it's render, Hardwall or board adhesive, extra thickness required equals extra cost.

I always thought thin coat was over cement board but you say it’s 10mm over block can you not get 15mm in tow passes by hand or ?

Weird they pay you per pass do you try doing the 10mm in one pass ?
With some systems we do like krend and weatherby etc where the basecoat gets floated. This one is a sto system which just gets finished with a spat. We’ve found the thinner the last pass is the easier it is to achieve this. To be honest being up in Scotland sto suits us better as you can be waiting a while to get a float on the wall the majority of the year.

The way that I was taught in London was keep the base coat as tight as possible. We would scrape off to the scrim. Pin the mesh then an other tight coat ,finish to receive the thin coat.
In the Netherlands they wanted a ticker top coat . They would fit widgets to the walls after 1 st coat which would give the thickness required.
That’s the way we normally do over insulation. Although over mineral wool we find leaving the first coat overnight is better