Pricing

This is the part a lot of lads forget. Your not only working for your wage your business needs to be making money too, if your just making a wage it’s not a successful business
It's just a different way of looking at it. For a self employed 1 man band with no business overheads making a wage is all you need. Whatever money my business makes ends up in my bank

I hate this when people say your prices are to low, if he can do that in a day work it out 300 minus material 270 if you can do that in a day it good money. If he takes a day half still good money. Depends what you whant from it how much do you average a day then 600 pounds a day? you mite get it if you work for a millionaire ffotballers ect. At the end of day you got to be sensebile about pricing find the middle not to cheap not to expensive. I've seen lads that are very expensive don't last long. I haven't done a fortune in plastering over 25 years paid my way. Not wishing my life il be retired 52 another 7 years to go not many can say that as self employed plastrer

Whether you do it in a day or not, the price for a room like that is 2 days for 1 man regardless

Talking of pricing though I've just had 3 quotes to replace fascias, soffits and gutters at my house. £1200, £1750 and £2980... And I'm going to go with the £1200, because it's the only fair price out the lot, plus company actually has the best reviews of the lot. I worked out materials myself as I was half tempted to do it and it was £400. Which leaves 2 blokes £200 a day each to fit it.
So 2 blokes nailing and screwing a few lengths of guttering are getting the same wage as alot of us per day. Whenever I say £450 for a double bedroom again I think it'll be more than fair in the scheme of things.

I almost phoned the £2980 to tell him he was a robbing c**t and should be embarrassed but thought better of it

we plastered a house for a local builder. when we finished he hand me his cheque book and said 'write you own cheque'. he was watching as i filled the cheque in. 'that was not the price you told me' he said. he then went off to look in his book, he came back moaning, that he had phoned the wrong one.' look 'he said i should have phoned this pratt.

Talking of pricing though I've just had 3 quotes to replace fascias, soffits and gutters at my house. £1200, £1750 and £2980... And I'm going to go with the £1200, because it's the only fair price out the lot, plus company actually has the best reviews of the lot. I worked out materials myself as I was half tempted to do it and it was £400. Which leaves 2 blokes £200 a day each to fit it.
So 2 blokes nailing and screwing a few lengths of guttering are getting the same wage as alot of us per day. Whenever I say £450 for a double bedroom again I think it'll be more than fair in the scheme of things.

I almost phoned the £2980 to tell him he was a robbing c**t and should be embarrassed but thought better of it
How big is the house? I did a 3 bed semi last year (gutter round 3 sides no gable) in the day with a labourer

Whether you do it in a day or not, the price for a room like that is 2 days for 1 man regardless
Yes your rhight m8. It so hard to price some times you loose on some you win on other. But what I dont like is when lads down south compare ther rate. I don't think they release the difrent cost of living in some part of the UK

How big is the house? I did a 3 bed semi last year (gutter round 3 sides no gable) in the day with a labourer
3 bed detached. They need to remove all the old stuff aswell. If 2 blokes really knew what they were doing and worked straight through they could probably do it in a day. Do feel like I should hire a small scaffold and do it myself but I just can't be arsed

Day rates don't exist in my opinion..

It'd take best part of a day to re skim a small toilet, let's say £200+ materials..

Now if you can skim a 3m x 4m bedroom in a day, that is about 10x the size, why the f**k would you charge the same money? You charge what a job is worth, not how long it takes.

If I boarded and skimmed a 30m2 ceiling in a day a I'd want a hell of a lot more than £200 for doing so.. I think a lot of people get all hung up on this day rate business, as soon as you start charging what a job is worth you realise just how much you can often 'get away' with.. you also work harder and smarter if you there isn't a set ceiling of what you are allowed to earn.

If your not clearing a couple of hundred quid a day self employed what's the point,
To cover a wage,your tax liabity,van costs, liability insurance, any holiday pay plus any other expenses. Plus all that and it's a hard trade and your done at 60.

Your right anything near £200 and you have no chance .....I wish I could get £200 it would make life a whole lot easier (y)
Depends on where you are in length of time doing domestics. After 20 years most estimates are more often than not through recommendations. A decent sized living room skim will be £460 two easy days.

If your not clearing a couple of hundred quid a day self employed what's the point,
To cover a wage,your tax liabity,van costs, liability insurance, any holiday pay plus any other expenses. Plus all that and it's a hard trade and your done at 60.
I get what you're saying but I don't knock anyone who's on even £100 a day. Working 45 weeks of the year would give you a £22500 wage which is still decent money compared to alot of people. My Mrs for example is on not much over 16k a year, and she's still got to run a car just as much as a tradesman needs to run a van. My brother works 5 days a week at Boots and earns even less than my Mrs

I get what you're saying but I don't knock anyone who's on even £100 a day. Working 45 weeks of the year would give you a £22500 wage which is still decent money compared to alot of people. My Mrs for example is on not much over 16k a year, and she's still got to run a car just as much as a tradesman needs to run a van. My brother works 5 days a week at Boots and earns even less than my Mrs
Well said

I do it's rubbish,your self employed. I pay lads on my books 20k a year and they just turn up with secured work plus holiday pay, plus a van, plus pension contributions.

Most of my customers are about my age late 40s early 50s younger ones usually have decent jobs.

Day rates don't exist in my opinion..

It'd take best part of a day to re skim a small toilet, let's say £200+ materials..

Now if you can skim a 3m x 4m bedroom in a day, that is about 10x the size, why the f**k would you charge the same money? You charge what a job is worth, not how long it takes.

If I boarded and skimmed a 30m2 ceiling in a day a I'd want a hell of a lot more than £200 for doing so.. I think a lot of people get all hung up on this day rate business, as soon as you start charging what a job is worth you realise just how much you can often 'get away' with.. you also work harder and smarter if you there isn't a set ceiling of what you are allowed to earn.
Well said that man. That’s exactly my philosophy

3 bed detached. They need to remove all the old stuff aswell. If 2 blokes really knew what they were doing and worked straight through they could probably do it in a day. Do feel like I should hire a small scaffold and do it myself but I just can't be arsed
My house needs doing and I can’t be arsed, you really need a hand with it too mate it’s not hard work but try holding a 5m length of fascia in place and nailing it on your tod

I do it's rubbish,your self employed. I pay lads on my books 20k a year and they just turn up with secured work plus holiday pay, plus a van, plus pension contributions.
All very well and good but one man's s**t pay is another man's means of feeding and keeping a roof over his families head. You probably think my Mrs is a mug for going to work for £9 an hour, but that's life. I don't look down my nose at anybody who's working to pay their way.
I used to work in a factory doing 12 hour shifts and I think from memory I got around £75 a shift. I'd take £100 a day for skimming a few walls and home mid afternoon any day over that. Holiday pay or not

Maybe there's a reason money isn't discussed on here lol

If a company goes to a domestic job and prices ajob one of their men two days 700 hundred. That's fine. If a one man band prices 650 hundred. You'd be a robbing b*****d. You can't win . Customers allways divide the whole price into how many days your their.

I've said this before but decent people don't think £200/300/400 a day is a lot of money.. providing they think their jobs worth it.

If a plumber came and fitted a boiler for me, got it done in a day, would I care if he made decent wedge doing so? Nope.

If my van broke down and a decent mechanic spent a while day fitting new turbo, clutch, oil pump, couple of tyres, whatever.. and it got it back up and running for another few years, would I care if he made £400/500 labour? Nope.

My accountant charges me £540 a year.. takes him a few hours to do my books, good on him! Why shouldn't he earn well.

My window cleaner makes somewhere in the region of £1000 a week.. good on him I say, why shouldn't he make a decent living.

If you do a cheap job for some tight c**t, then a few months later you are struggling to pay your bills, do you think you'd be able to go back to that person and ask them to help you out like you did them by doing a cheap job? Nope, they only care about themselves, we should all do the same!

Got new kitchen fitted ....got an electrician in 3 new sockets supplied and fitted £360 took him about 3 hours ...plumber/gas engineer fitted pipes for sink and washing machine and gas hob £270....45 minutes if your lucky ....people in general don’t appear to put plastering in the same mould as electrician and plumber so don’t want to pay the same rates....and our trade is the hardest out of them

I've said this before but decent people don't think £200/300/400 a day is a lot of money.. providing they think their jobs worth it.

If a plumber came and fitted a boiler for me, got it done in a day, would I care if he made decent wedge doing so? Nope.

If my van broke down and a decent mechanic spent a while day fitting new turbo, clutch, oil pump, couple of tyres, whatever.. and it got it back up and running for another few years, would I care if he made £400/500 labour? Nope.

My accountant charges me £540 a year.. takes him a few hours to do my books, good on him! Why shouldn't he earn well.

My window cleaner makes somewhere in the region of £1000 a week.. good on him I say, why shouldn't he make a decent living.

If you do a cheap job for some tight c**t, then a few months later you are struggling to pay your bills, do you think you'd be able to go back to that person and ask them to help you out like you did them by doing a cheap job? Nope, they only care about themselves, we should all do the same!
Spot on mate. Too true.

All very well and good but one man's s**t pay is another man's means of feeding and keeping a roof over his families head. You probably think my Mrs is a mug for going to work for £9 an hour, but that's life. I don't look down my nose at anybody who's working to pay their way.
I used to work in a factory doing 12 hour shifts and I think from memory I got around £75 a shift. I'd take £100 a day for skimming a few walls and home mid afternoon any day over that. Holiday pay or not
What’s your Mrs got to go with anything.. and I’m not looking down my nose at anyone. Your Mrs will get holiday pay she’ll get a pension etc these are all things to consider if your self employed is my point. It’s clowns like you working for chump change that drags the trade down.

f**k**g infuriates me when I hear about these bottom feeders charging peanuts and dragging the trade into the gutter!! Have some self worth and respect!! Drive the prices up FFS!! f**k**g lowlife rough badgers!!