Rendering advice please guys

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone - not posted in a while!

I've not done much external stuff but I'm keen to pick it up - only done the odd repair, anyway I've got some jobs I'll be doing on my own house I'd like some advice on.

firstly the pebble dashing on the bay between my front and bottom bay windows has shot it, so I'm gonna hack it off. I presume it's timber underneath - am I best using marine ply, mesh/eml on top of that then render. Also what's the best mix ratio to use? Idiots guide please - ie. sand/cement/waterproofer for coat 1 & 2 prior to pebble dashing?

Secondly I have a brick wall in the garden that would look loads better rendered, same advice again on the mix ratios - it has previously been painted so is there any extra prep required?

also metal or plastic beads?

thanks in advance guys!!
dan

Presuming its timber is odd to me, first coat would be mix of ( for brickwork) five to one sand cement with water proofer, second coat after five days 6/1/1 or 6/1/2 sand cement lime,
for timber scratch 6/1 sand cement with waterproofer, second after a week 6/1/1 or 6/1/2 sand cement lime.
for rendering on ply use good quality wbp ,breathing paper and eml. Fibres in all the scratch coats for all above at two handfuls a mix one for second.
i would hack off garden wall too and start as above dependant on what you find, you may need an sbr scud coat on all masonry backgrounds, mix ratio ,sbr to,water 3/1 sand to cement 2/1 or 3/1

if it is timber studs, marine ply will be expensive. i would use building paper or felt and cover in rib lath. stone dashing is not the easiest external finish to the inexperienced.

Hi Dan

when you clear the old stuff off the bay window, you will see what is behind..... low level is usually block work, beyween levels will be timber....

If it is timber, replace the breather membrane directly to the studs, then apply Knauf Aquapanel Exterior (you can even get 1200x900mm smaller boards) and a thin coat basecoat..... ask your merchants who's renders they stock or can get, K Rend, Weber and Parex do basecoats and mesh to merchants.. (as do some others)... apply 5 mm and embed mesh and smooth out, let the dry and then apply a S&C finish (if that is what you want...)

Once the Aquapanel Exterior is up, you have a weathertight finish for a few weeks, tape and joint it with the Aquapanel Exterior Joint Filler and tape and you can leave it for up to 6 months without render, so the pressure is then off while you sort the render..... you could always buy a few more sheets to practice onto!

Let me know if you need any more help - my details are on my profile

Good luck mate!

Richard

Last edited:
@Runwithscissors how much does a sheet of this external Aquapanel cost as a one off no discount price from a merchant such as Travis/Jewsons? Just so that people can see whether it's cost effective compared with EML once they've paid more for the base coat compared with normal S&C.

one of my sons has just done a block of flats in clacton useing aquapanel and he thinks that method is a lot more labour intensive then the riblath method

Last edited:
I honestly don't know...... It varies ........... List is nearly £18 / m2..... but somewhere around £12 - £12.50 /m2 is normal...

There are a fair few spreads who use Aqu Ext on here... someone will help out!

You might even get lucky and the merchant makes a mistake.... seen a very big job priced wrongy and the merchant too a HUGE hit on it! Fair play to them for honoring the quote... they got loads of other materials on the job though...

Thanks very much for the reply Richard!

Let me get this right - if its timber battens, fix the exterior aqua panels, breather membrane underneath this? Mesh on top - bead up, scratch coat with either krend/similar or S & C, then a top coat with the dash on top?
cheers

@Runwithscissors that's not to sad. I've actually set things out on my own place, that I'm extending/renovating to use your gear. Only small areas but I thought I'd like to give it a go and where better to experiment than on my own place.

Dan - give me a call monday when you know what you have behind the existing - well, if its timber

Andy - let me know when you get to it and I'll help you out!

Good Luck guys

Status
Not open for further replies.