reskim

Status
Not open for further replies.
skimmin2day said:
You cant charge a lot becuse of your speed,you aint gonna get a massive day rate knocking out 3 walls or so a day.
The job i been on today me and my mate put 11 bags of finnish on and boarded a ceiling between us but that is why we command £200 a day which is a fair wage.
i think £100 is a fair wage for you if you can leave a decent finnish.

fair enough but i earnt £160 today and did 8m2!
first job, skim over artex ceiling in a shower room. £80. morrisons for a fry up. on to next job, reskim a chimney breast, £80.

you ain't gotta bust your balls to make a living.

i wouldnt want to over skim a double bedroom on my own in a day .... f.uck that.

why the fu.ck would anybody want to abuse their body that much I dont know. oh and dont give it all "it's a piece of p.iss bo.llocks" cause it isnt.

fetching water, covering carpets, cleaning up, pva.

I think half of you talk sh.it

try and get all the ceilings out the way so you can lash on as many walls in as many different rooms as you can.

i mean just the plastering on your own, not doing the lot. i've done it a couple of times on my own and it is hard work. ceiling and 1 wall in first mix and 3 walls on the other mix. PVA while the labourer mixes. without a labourer its alot of work.

richardbrown said:
i wouldnt want to over skim a double bedroom on my own in a day .... f.uck that.

why the fu.ck would anybody want to abuse their body that much I dont know. oh and dont give it all "it's a piece of p.iss bo.llocks" cause it isnt.

agreed, reskims are different ballgame completely to skimming on board on site. i reckon to be able to cover nearly twice as many meters per day on new work than on a reskim

i do it all the time.Its hard work,but its got to be done.Ceiling and a wall then 3 walls like steve said,or ceiling and bead up 2 walls then 2more walls,clearing as ur going. 3 sets 8 hrs this time of year.Dont do it every day but when i need to i do ,do.Absolutely no bull s h i t.
1 room a day with lid most spreads do.
I been doing this for 22 years not 22 weeks.

skimmin2day said:
i do it all the time.Its hard work,but its got to be done.Ceiling and a wall then 3 walls like steve said,or ceiling and bead up 2 walls then 2more walls,clearing as ur going. 3 sets 8 hrs this time of year.Dont do it every day but when i need to i do ,do.Absolutely no bull (german word).
1 room a day with lid most spreads do.
I been doing this for 22 years not 22 weeks.

thank you! and if i'm feeling adventurous ill do the ceiling, 1 wall and the head of the window!

on board its not a problem, on a reskim its f**k**g hard work. i'm crackin on a bit though and need a easy life!

99% of the reskims down here are old victorian houses with high ceilings old wooden beading etc. If you overskimming a fairly modern house with a poxy double maybe.

Gone are the days when Ill skim anything on my own, I dont wanna be f.ucked when I am 50. I price the job for me and a lab and if i dont get it i dont get it

i cant blame you rich but at the time i was learning and wanted to get my speed up. it certainly worked. i sweat my fuc.king nuts off! i'd price for a labourer but if i needed to i'd do it again no problems. wouldnt do it day in day out though. i'm with you on that one

iv got boarding and paching to doo and d&ding not trying too fcuk my self just get a crust man now my grinder is wa|Nked out bit on one on ebay im :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

richardbrown said:

I was just going to say the same thing, theres no way Id ever skim a double bedroom on me own in a day, 2 days generally, even more depending if they are full of skilings and all sorts of funny angles.

Board work is one thing, but over skims are entirely different, I quite often only lay one or 1 and 1 small wall on at once when over skimming, gear goes on much thicker, you can often get caught out (even when given 3 coats of pva)

but if people are happy to sweat their balls of for a living and earn the same as I do but taking it easy, then thats their choice (a stupid one at that), all the other trades take it easy and do f**k all and charge a fortune, so why the f**k do plasterers keep this match bullshit attitude that its all about who can lay the most on in a day?!

double bedroom 500quid to skim, two days at 200 a day, easy peasy! Ive just done an insurance job with a mate, £2800 to pull down a ceiling, reboard it, patch a few holes, skim and decorate the lot, 3.5m x 3.5m. Lovely juvvly! :D

P.s. back on subject, fair dos if you got a nipper to pay for mate, better than earning nought, however I personally would rather earn nought as the principle behind it says b*ll***s to that, and thats exactly why plasterers rates have gone down hill, we gotta stick to our guns. May as well go on benefits for those prices!

free rider i'm not boasting about how much i can do in a day. all im saying is that i've done it in the past because ive had to. with a labourer its not as hard as you'd think. maybe if you add carpets to cover up, furniture to move then yeah its not possible but with an empty room, no carpets and a labourer its possible. carpings got a full house to do which means that its more than likely empty. meaning nothing getting in the way. if he employed a labourer instead of a moody work shy plasterer he'd not be far off 10 days to do the lot.

ok sorry, just hear that sort of argument all the time!

I agree its doable, esspecially with a labourer, and I didnt realise you were talking 3 sets a day.. I class a day as 2 sets..

If he does 3 sets a day and has alabourer then theres no reason why he should knock it out in 10 days!

no worries mate, when im on a price ill push for 3 sets a day where possible. day rate 2 sets a day.

i can do 30m2 a day my m8te can do 20m2 per day tops no lab gess ill be on the sh*ting mixer laying on troweling off polising up ps the last job i was on with him let him use me stilits :eek: :D :D :D flat on his arse

your the one who can do more, yet your gonna mix for him? f**k that. get yourself a labourer and save some money mate

either get him to mix as your faster or get a labourer. Whats the house like though? Is there furniture and carpets in it?

Its easy doable with emty house,i dont do site work.
Today between 2 of us we did a bedroom lid and 4 walls 1 set,ceiling on board walls over skim.(3 bags)
large stariwell wall and landing over skim (5 bags) 2nd set.
Bathroom (ceiling textured finnish with plaster) and walls all one coat on boards as tiling over 2.5 bags.
Then we put up boards on small ceiling and beads on a chimney for tommorow.
Only broke a sweat becuse it was 26 degrees didnt really work our selves to death.

richardbrown said:

I'll second that.... Well said.

lol that was what i was faced with at 8am
lol he droped the rad and the screws wer fcuked. Soo the crowbar wil doo too get the brackets off he knocked up half a bag of muilti up. Palled all the plaster off that was naff then went and done that top help me out lol he thort it will slow me down used neet PVA tell you what ill do the plastering you make the tea

IF THERES no furniture or carpets then thats a different ball game again. Much quicker, just get it on and get a floor scraper. ;)

Also when 2 plasterers working together once the walls are flat and under control in stead of sitting around waiting for it to go off well get another mix on and one of us start laying on fresh walls whilst other trowels up,then another mix on for one to top off whilst other lays more walls on,were always rolling the guages.get much more done this way,we rarely sit around doing nothing apart from lunch time.
I can under stand why some may think its not possible or hard graft,but personally i disagree.
If ur organised and willing to work hard in small blasts of effort its not that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.