Retirement

A couple of years ago we boarded and plastered the house of the head of physiotherapy at the local hospital. His old man was a builder and he said that he'd grown up watching and working with all the different trades. He said that our trade was by far the hardest on the body, he said "the only way I can describe your trade is brutal".
He reckoned that being able to do our trade long-term was "a matter of winning the genetic lottery". How lucky am I?

A couple of years ago we boarded and plastered the house of the head of physiotherapy at the local hospital. His old man was a builder and he said that he'd grown up watching and working with all the different trades. He said that our trade was by far the hardest on the body, he said "the only way I can describe your trade is brutal".
He reckoned that being able to do our trade long-term was "a matter of winning the genetic lottery". How lucky am I?
How f**k**g depressing is that, knowing that the only way out is by winning the actual lottery or the genetic lottery it's totally fucket

I think weight plays a large part in it though, if you carry even two stone more than, for your frame, it will wear away your joints .

It's something that takes a lot of effort and hard work , why do you think I spend so much time on here , you can't just wake up and change career , I'm in training mate
"Its aw pert o yer time !" F*****g haunts me, that does ! Four year of hell ! Did me good though, in the end ! Hope you get there soon mate ! :D

"Its aw pert o yer time !" F*****g haunts me, that does ! Four year of hell ! Did me good though, in the end ! Hope you get there soon mate ! :D
We both had an unfair advantage apart from genetics ,,, its called humour

Most plasters will have fook all in bank no investments by 40 so your fooked
So all is left to do is to pay your mortgage off by 50 to 60 yrs old that will be your only asset
& you Wil feel like you can retire as you do not have a mortgage
Basically been a slave to the system all your working life !

Your welcome

That is very true.... unfortunately

As the long standing members will know I'm coming up to 38...2 years off retirement age. Just wondering if anyone is still plastering over 40 and how it feels...because ever since 36 I get funny aches and pains everyday, some the same some new...and I think I'm getting slower and more expensive.

Has anyone managed to (or plan to) do anything else when they hit 40?
Started working my ticket out when I turned 40, realised that I didn’t really want to be knocking my c**t in at 50/60 just to pay the bills. If I stayed plastering I’d be as bitter as @zombie

I'm 49 and still working fine but do find in evenings after sitting down on sofa my joints seize up a bit ...
Have a Mixture of work and don't really do large areas of skim now.....domestic only so can pick and choose.
Can't see me getting to 65 at current work rate though so think about another 10 years and I'll do 2 or 3 days max....

I was f**k*d yesterday . I.m sure I just seize up when I stop. Neck ached like f**k on hol
[/QUOTE]
I read loads of stuff mate was reading about Ryan giggs he’s about our age apparently he still to this day does Yoga he said yoga was part and parcel of there training routines back in the day at his peak and besides stopping all the other training he did it’s the one thing that he recommended everyone do to stay ok

53 years old,been self employed in trade since 1986
working max 3 days only a week for the last 5 years on a slow wind down get aches and pains as much as the next bloke but still pretty much physically intact and forearms @lurpak can only dream off
planning to retire in 2 years at 55 can't f**k**g wait.... the trade has turned into a limp wristed fannies hobby now so should be easier for next generation of spreads

Well I f**k**g lost. :muyenojado:

44 and getting some right grief with neck and back . Going for physio next week . Trying to slow down but charge more . Would love to do summet else but couldn't make as much and work hours I want

The pay cut is a tough one also even with a degree some of the money the corporates pay is poor...I think it's highly likely I'll be supplementing my income with weekend spreading.

working max 3 days only a week for the last 5 years on a slow wind down get aches and pains as much as the next bloke but still pretty much physically intact and forearms @lurpak can only dream off
planning to retire in 2 years at 55 can't f**k**g wait.... the trade has turned into a limp wristed fannies hobby now so should be easier for next generation of spreads

I could have retired at 30 lol

I had to pack up Plastering at 34 because of rsi in both wrists. But after a few years rest I came back Rendering and at 62 still quite fit but took temporary retirement to be a full time carer. I will be back but part time.

My wrists are still too weak to do skimming. Never took it back up and I don’t miss it.
Its not a bad thing Rigs, as skimming is very complicated these days..........well for some it is . Just saying .

I always thought you was younger than me , fair play to that 3 days a week , I like it

A lot of truth in that also that builder probably hasn’t a clue how much other time goes into cleaning van out and wash ironing work clothes and s**t too mate

im sat here watching the rain ,meant to be rendering a clap to for someone/cant be fck with it but he has more cornice work for me/hows that for luck lol

im sat here watching the rain ,meant to be rendering a clap to for someone/cant be fck with it but he has more cornice work for me/hows that for luck lol
Proof theirs no God , shining on the righteous

Im 38, 22 years in now.
I run a decent size outfit now so not physically on the tools grafting everyday, I’ll work unti I drop I think.
I had the chance to retire a few years ago,at 36 and maybe do something different, I had an offer off a huge render outfit to buy me out, I could have cleared my mortgage with a few quid left over but I refused, I like the cut and thrust of it all truth be told.
It’s diet aswell, I packed in drinking a few years ago,i was quite a heavy drinker, I feel 21 everyday now, it’s honestly the best thing I ever did,

As the long standing members will know I'm coming up to 38...2 years off retirement age. Just wondering if anyone is still plastering over 40 and how it feels...because ever since 36 I get funny aches and pains everyday, some the same some new...and I think I'm getting slower and more expensive.

Has anyone managed to (or plan to) do anything else when they hit 40?
Im 44 haven't killed my self in the last 5 years work 6 days a week work 30 hours in that 6 days. People think I get life of Riley. I tell them have you tried skiming and rendering. It all common sense in this game do your money in your twenties early 3o s and then slow down. I should be sorted my self 7years income from a holiday home. So my advice work hard but be senseble about it before you f**k your self up..

Im 38, 22 years in now.
I run a decent size outfit now so not physically on the tools grafting everyday, I’ll work unti I drop I think.
I had the chance to retire a few years ago,at 36 and maybe do something different, I had an offer off a huge render outfit to buy me out, I could have cleared my mortgage with a few quid left over but I refused, I like the cut and thrust of it all truth be told.
It’s diet aswell, I packed in drinking a few years ago,i was quite a heavy drinker, I feel 21 everyday now, it’s honestly the best thing I ever did,

I stopped smoking 7 years ago and only drink weekends...not heavily. Feel alot better.