Retirement

Members online

Hard to believe a 53 year old bloke would use a picture of his forearm as a profile pic enit?

53 n comes across as 15 lol should of tried harder in school @carl-the-plasterer

I seem to remember you did it for a short while as well yer daft brummie chancer.

And who the f**k would say I could've retired at 30 but still continues to work?

If I had the opportunity to retire at 30 you can bet your life I would've done.

Or at the very least chosen a much easier job to do to pass the time.

You're full of s**t sunshine.

Never suffer with wrists . Get pins and needles in my hands when out on bike
Get some foam hand grips john , or lower your front tyre pressure . tyre choice as well , try these pumped hard . smoother in upright but grip for leaning

Last edited by a moderator:
Get some foam hand grips john , or lower your front tyre pressure . tyre choice as well , try these pumped hard . smoother in upright but grip for leaning
Got 27.5 x 2.35 on front magic Mary I think

Got 27.5 x 2.35 on front magic Mary I think
No good IMO cos of vibration on road and hard surface , you can even hear the whir , buzz of the pimples , you like that type then try decent foam grips

Try your tyre pumped hard on a smooth road , your fingers will be numb in a 100 yards

I seem to remember you did it for a short while as well yer daft brummie chancer.

And who the f**k would say I could've retired at 30 but still continues to work?

If I had the opportunity to retire at 30 you can bet your life I would've done.

Or at the very least chosen a much easier job to do to pass the time.

You're full of s**t sunshine.

Bad memory kid, that’ll be your age. I posted a pic of my forearm to show you what a real spreads looks like. You then promptly changed your pic lol.

House paid @ 30 n still had money coming in so no real need to work. I work more than ever since having my lad who’s now 3 , so he can get a better start. And I enjoy plastering or I wouldn’t be doing it. Own boss do what I want, choose the jobs I want. Real passion is properly tho

Bad memory kid, that’ll be your age. I posted a pic of my forearm to show you what a real spreads looks like. You then promptly changed your pic lol.

House paid @ 30 n still had money coming in so no real need to work. I work more than ever since having my lad who’s now 3 , so he can get a better start. And I enjoy plastering or I wouldn’t be doing it. Own boss do what I want, choose the jobs I want. Real passion is properly tho
Can't understand why you don't invest in land

We all moaning like f***but secretly we all must enjoy it otherwise we wouldn't be on a plasterers forum talking about plastering after work hours

The houses we've had have made good money , but its only relevant to the housing boom and that's slowing , the piece of land we got for £12k ( 20 y ago )is now valued at £250, but in the next few years its going to be £750k
Its been no hassle like property and been a real big bonus for our family and friend to use and enjoy

We all moaning like f***but secretly we all must enjoy it otherwise we wouldn't be on a plasterers forum talking about plastering after work hours
Some do it out of necessity or little choice , others love the constant challenges available and don't want to sit at a desk

Plastering is easy now compared to thirty,forty years ago and more.They were proper hard men.

Easier in a way but harder in another.

We no longer have labourers mixing for us and carrying the boards and bags in plus the cleaning up. So that is harder on the plasterer. The plasterer now has to mix but with the convenience of an electric whisk rather than a podger but then also panic in getting it on and cleaning the whisk and bucket out. So harder.

No more slapping browning or hardwall on and the ruling off fighting against the suction but now stick on plaster board sheets so easier and cleaner. But constant hours of skimming which is a lot of pressure and strain on the fingers, wrist and elbow, so harder imo. In my day it was morning hardwall (browning) and afternoon skimming. Different wrist action in the am to pm.

So today if I was ever to come back (unlikely) it would be with a labourer and only a half day skimming.

Rendering is easier with the modern gear. You can control the suction and adapt a easy way of slapping on use two handed tools to level/smooth off. Even easier by machine if the bleeding thing works.

Because they have stopped making it so as the need for it increases it can only increase in value.

I have a old mate in another town and he is buying redundant property in up and coming areas, demolishing the building and creating car parks. All private secure parking and money for nothing.

Your son would have somewhere to play , camp , bonfires , learn to drive etc , endless enjoyment

The pond is very much a lifestyle thing and although it will obviously go up in value it'll never make me, or my son, rich.
The three acres of 'worthless' land I bought next to it just might make my son a lot of money one day. I only bid 12k for that!
Long term I agree but little outlay and I bet your first fish was worth it

1B4806FC-528F-449E-8596-115C6EF3B38F.gif

The houses we've had have made good money , but its only relevant to the housing boom and that's slowing , the piece of land we got for £12k ( 20 y ago )is now valued at £250, but in the next few years its going to be £750k
Its been no hassle like property and been a real big bonus for our family and friend to use and enjoy
Try getting a piece of land now for 12k. Be lucky if you’d fit a wheelbarrow on it.

I am a little off 40 myself but all being well I should be done in the next 10 years.

Lots of plasterers think that they will go and be teachers and what not but reality is that would be a massive pay cut and there are not a great deal of colleges about

further education is not only about colleges, and yeah it might be a pay cut, but its also about passing on knowledge to the next generation, on the plus side its topping up the bank balance and think of the holidays and less damaging to the body (y)

Can't understand why you don't invest in land

we did invest in buying and selling building land at one time. we were doing quite nicely then there was a big problem.
because our land dealing profit was larger then our plastering profit. this meant as we were VAT registered, we had to pay VAT on our land sales. not only did this kill the land deals but gave us a large VAT bill as they back dated to all our previous land deals.
it is not wise to invest in anything that has a deed, log book or other form of legal identification. the owner ship of these can be found out very easy with modern computers.

No detached mate just fields
Nice , why the increase , housing round here has levelled ( £1M) detached 4 acre land settlements , many bought , kept most land and sold to people moving from London , area has been teetering on mass housing development so its been expected but houses have their limits, its the land that's making serious profit for no hassle , to developed the next big phase they're gonna want ours to put a road through , helps if you know the developers lol

Our house goes up around 30-40 grand a year, based on sales on other houses in the area. I don’t look at it like that mind as i look at as a place to live and bring up the family, it’s just paper money until I sell it.
I bought a buy to let about 10 years ago that’s gone up, but buy to let is tough now with the recent changes in tax rules etc particular the new section 24 which means you can’t claim mortgage finance as tax deductible.

Nice , why the increase , housing round here has levelled ( £1M) detached 4 acre land settlements , many bought , kept most land and sold to people moving from London , area has been teetering on mass housing development so its been expected but houses have their limits, its the land that's making serious profit for no hassle , to developed the next big phase they're gonna want ours to put a road through , helps if you know the developers lol
[/QUOT
I live on the edge of a sort after village that's being developed all the time lately, it takes under 10 minutes to get to town and I've got land