sbr for reskim

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes mate ,it kills the suction so you can get the skimm on if it a hight suction backing ,but i always painted a fresh coat on just before i skimmed so it was stuck on as well or els it will fail ......

I did it on top of 2 coats. One put on on monday night , second on tuesday night and skimmed on wednesday afternoon? So it will fail? I know it kills the suction but how does it bond to the substrate if the sbr is dry?

I did it on top of 2 coats. One put on on monday night , second on tuesday night and skimmed on wednesday afternoon? So it will fail? I know it kills the suction but how does it bond to the substrate if the sbr is dry?
you might be lucky mate !! but when it dry s it forms a very effective barrier ,its a plastic really ,so you need to lay into it while it is tacky for best results, fingers crossed mate !!.....

Thats what I thought because sbr doesnt re emulsify as pva does wen in contact with moisture right? So it should fail but it hasnt. I dont get it at all

yea , u have to get the timing right tho cos of no suction from the sbr ,ie pva could take 10 mins to turn tacky or half hour depending on conditions

Its already been done , about 2 weeks ago, but the sbr was applied the night before and was dry when skimmed, will it fail or wil it stay on? I dont see how it does though as the sbr is dried.

No one can say for sure mate. Technically it should fail as there is no key or suction. However lots of things that are not done to perfect spec work with no ill effects. i.e. dirty water to speed up a set.

Could you give it a tap to see if it sounds loose???

Its like a job I did with the boss and was prepped byanother plasterer and we skimmed just straight onto walls as we werr told its all good. Its dried out fine and been painted and no complaint. It was old plaster mostly, some bonding on walls amd plasterboard that wasnt sbr'd and thet was about 7 walls , your right it should technically fail as sbr doesnt re emulsify wen moistened.

I spoke to a builder last month who was watching us render and he said ' get the pva lashed on to the blocks and shel be grand' we them said pva is no good for exterior but the builder reckons he pva'd a wall 10 or so yeats ago and rendered it and its still there to this day and even a bolster wouldnt take it off. Its complete bullshit like.

i rendered and tiled a swimming pool last summer that was an outdoor pool, when i got there the guys had just finished the coping stones around the top of the pool i said it looks a great job mate ,thanks he say we pva the top of the pool shell then the underside of the of every coping stones,as soon as he said that we had to have everything taken off again and cleaned off and re-done with SBR ,as we could not take a chance on his work failing and bringing our work off,a nightmare for them .......so it show's that PVA is just not worth the problems......SAY NO TO PVA Boys lol

Mix 1 part pva, 1 part sbr, 5 parts water and 1 part sharp sand, apply 1 good coat with a roller, leave for 8-12 hours then skim its great stuff.

It will be ok, as the plaster dries onto it, as said if you add a bit of sand you will have a simmilar thing to WBA. Butt you already know that, but your a complete knobjocky.

Duff, you ought to learn respect for Mr Kebab, he is a well respected forum member.

Anyway, here in Glesga we wouldnt entertane SBR purely because of the price of it.Suppose its simmilar to these people who use Artex sealer, thats dry when you skim on it, but that still works.Why is that.

Internal work should be thistle bond it for reskims everytime, if it fails which it won't, at least its been done by the book and you have an argument.

Did my neighbours house top to bottom. reskim over lime plaster sealed with sbr 5 years ago no problem.but it aint very good over artex. sealed 2 ceilings with sbr tight coat bonding,skimmed lot dropped off within 2 days.done the same many times before with pva never had a failure.

Duff, you ought to learn respect for Mr Kebab, he is a well respected forum member.

Anyway, here in Glesga we wouldnt entertane SBR purely because of the price of it.Suppose its simmilar to these people who use Artex sealer, thats dry when you skim on it, but that still works.Why is that.

I see, cos it maybe re emulsifies but sbr doesnt and that means that the skim wont suck into it but it seems to. Strange

I see, cos it maybe re emulsifies but sbr doesnt and that means that the skim wont suck into it but it seems to. Strange
Are you sure it re emulsifies,and as long as the plaster sticks to the SBR why worry, and 1 day when your old i will tell you why it sticks :flapper:

Danny its already been done if you could read jackass, it ws a hypothetical question , its no skin off my nose if it fails not my job . I see spunku, il have to make a start tomorrow

It won't fall off immediately probably a week after when it's cured and hasn't bonded to the wall

Well let me look into my crystal ball then......hmmmmmm.....I see it all now.....no it wont fail but i wish it would.

Status
Not open for further replies.