Sound proof

Thejester

I'm on a job at the moment which I am dry lining the walls but the customer wants me to use sound proof boards for the walks on to next doors so they can't hear anything.

Iv been told that I can double board with normal half inch boards and that will have the same effect than using sound proof boards.

What's everyone's thoughts on this

On their own will make next to no difference at all, recommend using sm20 panels first.

There's 3 different sounds vibrations etc so just because u put soundblock on a wall dsnt mean there wont hear anything me personally think there are a big con we use them all time and u can hear people talking wen we are in nxt house..

I've always known to have walls studded out and insulated well after but without walls being studded and a good distance from wall your see no change.I was on a job last year though and client lost a fair bit of room just because of little shits next door yet after we skimmed up could still hear them!builder did it and I don't know what he used but having right insulation will play a big part.Wasting your time just double boarding though mate.

They either want it sound proof of they don't mate!Pay for it to be done properly or leave it!

I gave them a price for the sound proof boards.
Let's just say they weren't impressed about the quote,but I showed them the price of the boards
It's just annoying that's some people think that we are ripping them off
I can see this job being a rite pain.

Yeah people want it doing for nothing.id just put it in all in writing and make it clear spec for soundproofing or don't do it as it will bite you on ass after when it fails.

i had one last year but not sound proofing.Went to do some patching for a landlord and told him he needs to pull a ruling down as its sagging loads and is needing to be done desperately.He said cant be that bad,tried getting him to do it and he said leave it for now.i got a phone call 2months later he shitting himself as ceiling fell down on tenants while they were in bed at the end of there bed!The prick had just sold his land to university campus for 2.5 million and risked a ceiling for £650 and he still tried haggling with me after when he wanted job doing lol!

I'd swerve the job mate, they sound an absolute nightmare and if you double sheet/soundbloc it and they can still hear stuff then guess who's the getting the blame?

Ye cock heads
But Iv done most of the bungalow ,just need to skim it.
They've been ok up to now and the neighbours arnt that noisy anyway.

noise can travel through ceilings and floors swell as walls , it is a problem to stop noise.