Stopping old cracks coming through scrimmed and skimmed ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoebe

Artex exiling with cracks in, I scrimmed them and then skimmed over but a month down the line those hairline cracks start to re-appear. Other than the obvious overboard/ reboard. Is there anything I can do to stop this happening like a more rugged mesh over the cracks perhaps. Thanks any help appreciated

Artex exiling with cracks in, I scrimmed them and then skimmed over but a month down the line those hairline cracks start to re-appear. Other than the obvious overboard/ reboard. Is there anything I can do to stop this happening like a more rugged mesh over the cracks perhaps. Thanks any help appreciated

Have you checked for any movement in the ceiling joists or boards not screwed up properly??

If there bad cracks we screw the board up then scrim and use render mesh over top that stops them coming back

fill the cracks with frame sealant dont bother to scrim as cracks will not reappear once plastered over aslong frame sealant has set b&m 99p frame sealant.

find joists and re fix screws are far better than nails. sbr is better than pva allow to dry then skrim cracks another coat of sbr or pva when tacty then bonding coat when bonding starts 2 harden 2 coat multi then cross fingers as nothing works better than overboarding. following above processs i would suggest that about 30m2 be the largest area to do in one day as drying times will cause probs this is if working alone.

Stronger joint than scrim. Apparently if you have an issue with BG about cracks in finishing plaster they won't even entertain it unless they know its been paper taped.

You can scrim then easyfill the cracks. Shouldn't have cut corners in the first place. Overboard everytime.

Yeah, probably just coverin their arses so they don't have to stand to anything if owt fcuks up...
That is the bg all over tho?don't endorse pva?? Only use bond it,£45 and upwards!.... Then hey here's unifinish no need for pva, breakfree from pva! Pmsl, lmfao, here buy this pro tape but if it cracks mmmm you should have used paper tape haha...:RpS_laugh: the real hustle don't have a look in:RpS_biggrin: feckin cheek

when we correct cracked ceilings for our local structual engineer we board the ceilng first with plyboard, then plasterboard then skim.

Stronger joint than scrim. Apparently if you have an issue with BG about cracks in finishing plaster they won't even entertain it unless they know its been paper taped.

we went to skim some plasterboard at cambridge uni. the uni had phoned british gypsum as to which tape to use and bg told them paper tape. what a pain that turned out to be.

Nice one..........I'm amused at the thought of a spark trying to bang a few holes in it in the future - you know when they can't be ar$ed to lift floorboards :RpS_biggrin:

what thickness ply then ? just -out of interest !!

about 12mm ply fixed every 100mm or 4 inches. i usually purchase shuttering or cheap ply as we are not worried about the finish only the strength. we do this quite often on properties with structual problems

Status
Not open for further replies.