The Great British Gypsum Conspiracy

Members online

I won't be expecting any free bags of Pure Finish after this thread but here goes.

View attachment 28100

The question on lots of plasterers mind right now is, are @BritishGypsum f**k**g about with the products?

Time and time again we are seeing and hearing people complaining of issues with finishing plasters. Tearing, flash setting, acting like bubble gum etc etc etc.. we also hear about the plasterboard being inferior too.

Here's a few of my observations in the past few months.

Plasterboard feels more bendy, noticeable on 8x4x12.5 sheets. It's as if it's weaker. Also score and snap often results in terrible breaks. Paper coming away very easy as if it's not bonded properly to the board.

Finishing plaster, board & multi. Completely random in terms of consistency. Some bags perfect, other bags a nightmare with the issues mentioned above.

Another thing I've noticed recently since the new bag design is both board and multi feels different when mixed, almost a slight feel of plasterboard adhesive to it. I've also noticed my bucket seems to be self-cleaning. It's the cleanest it's been in years.

It's possible they've been experimenting or recycling old stuff with other products such as board adhesive and bonding, but we wouldn't notice this as it does't get the attention to detail that skim does.

It's almost genius on @BritishGypsum 's part because if they mix in 10,000 s**t bags into various pallets, and note the batch number.. they just wait and see if people complain or not.. perhaps that's why they are so intent on getting ahold of the "bad bags" batch numbers when we contact them?

Also it makes us look like were going mad because one spread having no problems while another is, and in this game that only leads to one thing, the one having issues being told he's s**t.

We know they love to experiment with stuff which is fine, UniFinish, Bonding 60 etc.. I actually really rate the bonding60 and use it all the time. So I can't knock them for playing with their chemicals.

The real worry is that they are recycling s**t gear into finish.

Thoughts?
Not changed it one bit all a fantasy

I did an A-level in economics back at college. Wish I could go back now and use this as a textbook example of why a monopoly is a bad thing and why we need competiton.

There is no real competition to BG in UK. They could do whatever they like and know that we have no choice but to keep coming back. Competition forces companies to strive to be better than each other in terms of price, quality, etc. Competition is a good thing for the consumer.

This is exactly what the competition and markets authority was made for and is designed to prevent. Sadly there is no competition so probably not a lot they can do unless enough of us complain then they are meant to step in and at least ensure quality control, etc. if no proper competition. Wonder if that would actually happen or not though. Public organisations like that always struggling for resources.

Ironically they have no competition either to encourage them to do a better job!
The Monopolies Commission does have the power to force British Gypsum to be split up. BG was formed from a group of independent companies.

I won't be expecting any free bags of Pure Finish after this thread but here goes.

View attachment 28100

The question on lots of plasterers mind right now is, are @BritishGypsum f**k**g about with the products?

Time and time again we are seeing and hearing people complaining of issues with finishing plasters. Tearing, flash setting, acting like bubble gum etc etc etc.. we also hear about the plasterboard being inferior too.

Here's a few of my observations in the past few months.

Plasterboard feels more bendy, noticeable on 8x4x12.5 sheets. It's as if it's weaker. Also score and snap often results in terrible breaks. Paper coming away very easy as if it's not bonded properly to the board.

Finishing plaster, board & multi. Completely random in terms of consistency. Some bags perfect, other bags a nightmare with the issues mentioned above.

Another thing I've noticed recently since the new bag design is both board and multi feels different when mixed, almost a slight feel of plasterboard adhesive to it. I've also noticed my bucket seems to be self-cleaning. It's the cleanest it's been in years.

It's possible they've been experimenting or recycling old stuff with other products such as board adhesive and bonding, but we wouldn't notice this as it does't get the attention to detail that skim does.

It's almost genius on @BritishGypsum 's part because if they mix in 10,000 s**t bags into various pallets, and note the batch number.. they just wait and see if people complain or not.. perhaps that's why they are so intent on getting ahold of the "bad bags" batch numbers when we contact them?

Also it makes us look like were going mad because one spread having no problems while another is, and in this game that only leads to one thing, the one having issues being told he's s**t.

We know they love to experiment with stuff which is fine, UniFinish, Bonding 60 etc.. I actually really rate the bonding60 and use it all the time. So I can't knock them for playing with their chemicals.

The real worry is that they are recycling s**t gear into finish.

Thoughts?

We would like to respond to this and some of the other recent discussions about the quality of our plasterboards and plasters.

Our new plaster bags, are simply a change to the design of the bag itself to make identification easier for the different ranges we offer. Just to reiterate, no changes have been made to the formulation of our plaster products. It is still the same product, it is just the bag that has changed.

We would also like to confirm that we do not put any recycled plaster or board products into plaster when we make it. Watch our video, from Rock to Room, which details our production process, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN59LUBO51s

Again, if you are experiencing a problem with the product, we want to hear about it. If the product is not performing as it should – we genuinely want to find out why, and resolve it. Please either DM us a number or email us on thistleplaster@saint-gobain.com with the details.

As suggested in another post, we will liaise with Danny to arrange a suitable day/time to have a discussion about any issues you are experiencing.

popcorn.gif

We would like to respond to this and some of the other recent discussions about the quality of our plasterboards and plasters.

Our new plaster bags, are simply a change to the design of the bag itself to make identification easier for the different ranges we offer. Just to reiterate, no changes have been made to the formulation of our plaster products. It is still the same product, it is just the bag that has changed.

We would also like to confirm that we do not put any recycled plaster or board products into plaster when we make it. Watch our video, from Rock to Room, which details our production process, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN59LUBO51s

Again, if you are experiencing a problem with the product, we want to hear about it. If the product is not performing as it should – we genuinely want to find out why, and resolve it. Please either DM us a number or email us on thistleplaster@saint-gobain.com with the details.

As suggested in another post, we will liaise with Danny to arrange a suitable day/time to have a discussion about any issues you are experiencing.
Can't get fairer then that .......should i pm you my address for me wooley hat

Ive noticedthe boards almost giving the impession of being damp.
I've been reliably told that the gypsum that's no ground small enough for finish is being used and recycled intoo the boards and I've seen a lot of pink boards. Suggesting this is true.

Also been Told that they now have a recycling duty due to eu law which the stuff is getting recycled back into multi
Hi, We'd really like to understand the problems you are experiencing. If you can send your email address, number and location to thistleplaster@saint-gobain.com someone will be in touch next week to discuss. We also plan to arrange an open discussion to address your concerns on this forum.

Hi. I'm new on here but found my way here by googling board finish problems etc. I've been in the game since 1984 and would argue that lately something has changed with your product. What about your own video? 3:30 onward?

Hi. I'm new on here but found my way here by googling board finish problems etc. I've been in the game since 1984 and would argue that lately something has changed with your product. What about your own video? 3:30 onward?

Well there ya go. It’ll never be consistent again with putting shite back in.

That is plaster board not finish though

In the end it is what it is. I'll just have to use whatever shite you put on the shelves and get used to it. But when you lie or mislead it tends to leave a sour taste in the mouth. This is your own website:

https://www.british-gypsum.com/about-us/sectors/offsite/prs

But your telling me you don't actually do that ? And that is why I don't believe you are not adulterating your products with recycled gypsum or out of date products or adding a little too much accelerant or retarder depending on the time of year. Why not just be open about it?

Fair enough but if hes misleading about that when it states differently on their own website why would anyone believe they're not doing the same with finish?
How has he been misleading about it everyone knows they recycle board off cuts

I think that the people we're trying to liaise with probably haven't been working for BG long enough to have witnessed the days when normal plaster was nice and easy to finish to a high standard.

But I still don't believe him. But then it makes no difference as I'll have to use whatever they put on the shelves.

I think that the people we're trying to liaise with probably haven't been working for BG long enough to have witnessed the days when normal plaster was nice and easy to finish to a high standard.
It still is I dont get any problems with it unless there is a bit of humidity in rooms then just open a window

It still is I dont get any problems with it unless there is a bit of humidity in rooms then just open a window

Yeah but you also said you never walk back in a room you’ve skimmed so how would you now anyway.

I've never had problems with the finish.
Skimming onto fuucked boards yes.
But never the finish.
I've skimmed all over the UK.

Boards that have been left out in the pissing rain for weeks.
Been moved to other sites to be used ....I knew on my first 3 hawk fulls it was the boards that were fuucked.
The gear was piss wet in the bin while the gear was tearing back off the boards.

Block of apartments twice ...once in Hinckley and once in Liverpool rushed the jobs ....no roof on carried on board/dabbing flats.
Lads came in to skim them after a few weeks tearing chewy and all the other probs mentioned on here.

The Monopolies Commission does have the power to force British Gypsum to be split up. BG was formed from a group of independent companies.
the problems started after BG where taken over byST GABAIN same firm own Jewson pilkintons glass and many more big names now jewson wont supply me casting plaster unless I take 80 bags

I can say I ain't have any flash sets with any gear within use by date. Straight up. As far as I can remember.

Are there plans to make pure finish widely available in in multiples less than a pallet?

They mine gypsum, then refine it to the best of their extensive ability, I have been to the plant somewhere near where they make pork pies up north, they have different seams and all the other variables to deal with, in their defence I think it's cheap for what they have to do to get a useable finish gypsum product all over the UK. If you find it too difficult to use then get a factory job or try something new. British Gypsum plasterboards are rubbish though I agree.