Tile to Wall transtion

Members online

No members online now.

curiousgeorge

I am not sure if this is one for a tillers forum or a plasterers so i'll try both

I am trying to achieve a flush tile to wall transition
The plasterers want me to place piece of MDF on top of the tiles and paint it. I think they're just trying to get the job done quick.

I think it needs some thing like this http://www.british-gypsum.com/products/glasroc-h-tilebacker?tab0=3 which is 9mm and the tile thickness is 10mm which would allow them to plaster over it. It could be glued 10mm above the tile in order for that gap to be filled with the bonding

It's a small en suite and they don't seem to want to get messy with the bonding in there but the MDF route isn't really an option

Can anyone whose ever done this please help me understand how it should work in the best possible way??

I've attached an image it done properly (where i originally saw it) and where we are so far with our project

IMG_5154.JPG

tile-drywall.jpeg

So no boards on top of the existing boards then making up the difference (1/2mm) with a skim? These plasterers are really not keen to use bonding in the bathroom (all the tiles and fittings have been installed)

Use 9.5mm plaster board with something like this on the bottom...

http://m.builderdepot.co.uk/speed-p...nYdjDXmlW73D9GE4OkRZq2mk9FpBw9yCicaAm9Z8P8HAQ

Space it 2/3mm (whatever grout joint is then grout it in, mask up and either tightly skim it or just fill out the bead/tape and join corners.

Just an idea :)

For some reason the plasterers are so reluctant to bond the walls in the en-suite. That is why they suggested the MDF and then just painting it but it doesn't feel like the best solution, that in my eyes is fudging it. The 9.5mm board with the bead at the bottom is much better but the other challenge is that i'd prefer a moisture resistant board which doesn't seem to come in 9mm and the tile is 10mm. Thoughts?

For some reason the plasterers are so reluctant to bond the walls in the en-suite. That is why they suggested the MDF and then just painting it but it doesn't feel like the best solution, that in my eyes is fudging it. The 9.5mm board with the bead at the bottom is much better but the other challenge is that i'd prefer a moisture resistant board which doesn't seem to come in 9mm and the tile is 10mm. Thoughts?
A skimmed wall is better than the moisture boards.

for my own benefit are skimming and bonding 2 completely different things?

Meeting them half way (which i really don't feel like i have to do) would be the 9.5mm plasterboard and then skimmer over with maybe the 10mm stop bead at the bottom. Although in the picture i posted of the finished version, their contractor told me that he glued a board (i assume a 9.5mm board as they have the same tiles as us) 10-15mm above the tile and he filled in the rest (i assume when he skimmed it?) Why would he have done that??

for my own benefit are skimming and bonding 2 completely different things?

Meeting them half way (which i really don't feel like i have to do) would be the 9.5mm plasterboard and then skimmer over with maybe the 10mm stop bead at the bottom. Although in the picture i posted of the finished version, their contractor told me that he glued a board (i assume a 9.5mm board as they have the same tiles as us) 10-15mm above the tile and he filled in the rest (i assume when he skimmed it?) Why would he have done that??
Bonding is a backing coat you would apply to the wall at your own thickness then skim, he probably stopped short to blend it into the tiles coz it was tight

so theoretically the best practice options could be

- bond 9mm, skim 1mm right up to be flush with the tile
- stick a 9.5mm board above the tiles and skim that (including the gap between the top of the tile and where the plasterboard starts)

Clarifying, 10mm render type bead, bond out and skim is option 1.

Option 2 use them bead on bottom of 9.5mm plasterboard and then ski the plaster board.

I would personally space it at same grout joint as tiles and grout that bit in.

so theoretically the best practice options could be

- bond 9mm, skim 1mm right up to be flush with the tile
- stick a 9.5mm board above the tiles and skim that (including the gap between the top of the tile and where the plasterboard starts)
If you go with the board method there is more chance of getting a crack along the joint where it meets the tile so best cut short like your mate did and tape the joint higher up.

Out of curiosity, why is it more likely to crack if it's close to the top of the tile. I actually saw another post on another forum with a guy having this exact issue!

Out of curiosity, why is it more likely to crack if it's close to the top of the tile. I actually saw another post on another forum with a guy having this exact issue!
Two different materials that won't move together so will crack if you go with the bead you create the crack and silicone along the joint.

i reckon the best option is putting the plaster board 10mm higher than the top of the tile and doing it that way. So that means the plasterboard would be skimmer over but that 10-15mm gap above the tile would need to be bonded and skimmed? or just skimmed or bonded? Either way, a less messier job for the plasterers

The pic you have up off finished tiled and painted wall looks like their is no joint between tiles and plaster you want it flush so either do what the boys have said bond it out or use 9mm plus finish or use this board 6mm then 3mm multi finish makes it flush with your 9 mm tile and plaster tight to tiles no joint

If you do the 6mm + skim then just scrim right up to the tiles.

Word of warning though the plaster will stain nice white grout so might be best to grout it after

If you do the 6mm + skim then just scrim right up to the tiles.

Word of warning though the plaster will stain nice white grout so might be best to grout it after

So some of the tiles have already been grouted! So this could be an issue and is another hurdle to achieving this look. Any suggestions?

The pic you have up off finished tiled and painted wall looks like their is no joint between tiles and plaster you want it flush so either do what the boys have said bond it out or use 9mm plus finish or use this board 6mm then 3mm multi finish makes it flush with your 9 mm tile and plaster tight to tiles no joint

I think using the board you suggested (6mm) with the plaster making up the 3-4mm to be flush with the tile. And if i pretty much sit this 6mm board on top of the tile it won't crack after a few months??

thats the thinnest board you'll get it's quite expensive but if it's the depth you need and gives you a satisfactory job money doesn't come into it hope you get it sorted anyways good luck

thats the thinnest board you'll get it's quite expensive but if it's the depth you need and gives you a satisfactory job money doesn't come into it hope you get it sorted anyways good luck

The area isn't that big so a few boards won't break the bank. No point in penny pinching with the final look.

How deep is skimming? 3mm should be fine?