U got lab

Members online

I would have worked for nothing as well when I first started I was really wanting do this as career....if you get someone like that your on a win win ....if there not daft lol

I wouldnt work for anybody for nothing in this way. Even more so I wouldnt have anybody work for me for nothing.

I think that is so odd I would be very suspicious of anybody wanting to work for me like that. It doesnt seem normal.

I wouldnt work for anybody for nothing in this way. Even more so I wouldnt have anybody work for me for nothing.

I think that is so odd I would be very suspicious of anybody like that. It doesnt seem normal.

Funny you say that as I spoke to @B*****y on video call the other day. He’s willing to work for free to show what he can do and he can actually plaster. And for anyone watching
His plastering looks bang on.

Really nice bloke and I told him id be uncomfortable letting him work for free. But also can’t afford to pay a plasterer full time. So it’s difficult.

So it’s not about taking advantage of anybody which is what you’re insinuating. I’m very honest and straight talking.

I think the blokes a wally really John, but you know what I thought there was a lot of sense spoken in that vid for a change.

He’s definitely an interesting chap. I think he’s better at talking tho as he blows out his arse plastering lol

He’s definitely an interesting chap. I think he’s better at talking tho as he blows out his arse plastering lol
He’s gone up slightly in my estimations with that last vid, although he still sounded like he was gonna have a heart attack saying all that. Lol

So it’s not about taking advantage of anybody which is what you’re insinuating. I’m very honest and straight talking.

I never insinuated that at all. You asked about bringing a good man on. I said give him an incentive but if you treat him like shite he will have a very poor view of you, his job and no incentive to do anything.

I never insinuated that at all. You asked about bringing a good man on. I said give him an incentive but if you treat him like shite he will have a very poor view of you, his job and no incentive to do anything.

Read the thread again but breathe this time, your lips gone blue.

I’m not asking about the politics of it, I’m asking about actually showing him bits of plastering etc. @paulf has give some good advice.

Way I see it you can become money motivated once you can produce work people will pay for. If you're money motivated right from the start chances are you'll probably have less insight into how much skill you really have and over value yourself.

Funny you say that as I spoke to @B*****y on video call the other day. He’s willing to work for free to show what he can do and he can actually plaster. And for anyone watching
His plastering looks bang on.

Really nice bloke and I told him id be uncomfortable letting him work for free. But also can’t afford to pay a plasterer full time. So it’s difficult.

f**k off I talk to myself everyday and tell myself how Shiite life is lol
Then he argues back and I get confused.
Then agree with him then it's sound . Go for a pint and shiit :reloco:

I disagree in that if you go in blind and pay a 0 experience kid decent money, you’ll never get anything out of him.

If they start on low money it shows willingness.

I’ve had unemployed lads tell me they wont work for x amount a day as not enough.

I can’t be arsed to debate with you every time i post mate it’s exhausting.

I want to know how to bring someone on as in just give em a trowel and throw in em deep end? Spend time explaining stuff? Etc etc.

So far I’ve explained everything I’m doing. Why i pva walls. Why i bond artex etc. Not sure he’s taking it in but im commentating anyway.
We had couple of labourers out with us, basically starting on more or less as good as a lab gona get in most squads and them hopeless. Meant when. They actually started to get good at their job they thought they should be gettin more dough lol asked for rises after doing a single decent day's work lol

I totally agree. But put it this way.

Job advert.

Plasterers labourer wanted £30 per day.

Nobody decent even if desperate is going to apply for that.

....................................................................................................

Plasterers labourer/improver wanted £80.00 per day upwards. Good wage to right lad.

Then you may get someone half decent and you will find out the re***ds straight away.
80 a day labouring f**k me it's what most plasterers get here lol

I said to lad once . Let's have a conversation bout what you think you should be earning. .He said I think I should get x if I.m boarding x if I.m skimming. I said well thats end of that f**k**g conversation

I totally agree. But put it this way.

Job advert.

Plasterers labourer wanted £30 per day.

Nobody decent even if desperate is going to apply for that.

....................................................................................................

Plasterers labourer/improver wanted £80.00 per day upwards. Good wage to right lad.

Then you may get someone half decent and you will find out the re***ds straight away.
Completely get your point but I also agree if someone wants to learn then they will take 30 and push to be better

This jobs too labour intensive for kids to do It for that anymore. c**ts don't wana do it. One labs I mentioned earlier left for min wage bar work. He's 20 so it's like 5.40 an hour he gettin, stead of bout 8 something before tax with us

If he is a grafter then you have found a rare thing. Hopefully he has the stamina for the long haul and not untill the novelty wears off.

Be straight with him and tell him he is a good worker and you'd like him to progress.

I had to train someone up about a year ago, I didn't realise it's actually hard work, gets you thinking about things again, while doing your job and carrying them too. Have a laugh otherwise it can become a drain on both of you.

Obviously your paying him a labs wage and you know if it's fair, just keep it fair as he becomes worth more to you. But appreciation shown is worth it's weight in gold too, and keeps the willingness to please there.

It's nice to see a young lad that's keen and knows how to graft.

For half the dough? And its the airport bar that would depress you watchin ev c**t goin on holidays fs lol
Its not half the dough as he wont pay any tax. £10 - £15 stoppages so about £80 worse off.

When I did it in a works club weddings and disco and a busy pub...............Fun........beer and more importantly for me at time as I had a permanent hard on..............lots of girls chatting me up and making themselves available.

At that age me 18 - 19. It was sheer bliss even though the money was shite. :D

Today possibly not so good as you never know whats chatting you up and you may not have a legal statement with 3 witnesses to hand regards consent. ;):D

Last edited:
Feck the labs Andy G spray coat artex now no need for lab.

Last edited:
A good labourer is worth his weight in gold makes the job a lot easier if he stays one step ahead, have a lad two years now in a four man team, mixed gear , preps rooms ahead of us, can trowel up as well and leaves the job spotless , we all have or roles to keep the job running smoothly and he's part of the team, hes paid above the rate because he earns it, in my time I've seen so many tradesmen treat labourers like s**t then wonder why nobody will work for them.

A good labourer is worth his weight in gold makes the job a lot easier if he stays one step ahead, have a lad two years now in a four man team, mixed gear , preps rooms ahead of us, can trowel up as well and leaves the job spotless , we all have or roles to keep the job running smoothly and he's part of the team, hes paid above the rate because he earns it, in my time I've seen so many tradesmen treat labourers like s**t then wonder why nobody will work for them.
I agree with you 100%. So why do you disagree with my post?

Who the f**k gonna pay some duesch £80 to pva a wall and move some boards while you spend all day telling him why you doing it ffs , got to be honest when people say oh yeah a good labour helps move job on etc I think it’s a load of bullshit , if any thing it slows you down and cost you money taking the c**t everyday

Who the f**k gonna pay some duesch £80 to pva a wall and move some boards while you spend all day telling him why you doing it ffs
Twas an example. I have no idea how much a labs wages should be whether he is good or bad.

Who the fk gonna pay some duesch £80 to pva a wall and move some boards while you spend all day telling him why you doing it ffs , got to be honest when people say oh yeah a good labour helps move job on etc I think it’s a load of bullshit , if any thing it slows you down and cost you money taking the ct everyday
Well if you have a decent labourer you shouldn't have to spend all day telling him anything he should be ahead of the game .

There’s no point in spending time and money training anyone up unless it’s your own son or nephew.Never mind wages or how much the useless c**ts want it should be how much they should pay you to teach them.

There’s no point in spending time and money training anyone up unless it’s your own son or nephew.Never mind wages or how much the useless c**ts want it should be how much they should pay you to teach them.
I sorry but got to disagree there, the guy I worked for had me as a labourer and another guy as his apprentice, in truth he treated us like s**t......I knew it would be hard to get a job with someone else so just stayed there, one night sitting at a table with his pals who were all plasterers and all of there apprentices and all they could talk about is how F*****g great they were and how shite we were, I was never once late although I had to travel 25 miles to get to him I was never off once sick and I did work late most nights till 7.30 and would help him if he had to work on Saturday or Sunday and yes I did make mistakes but I would own up too them when pointed so it is a learning curve for everyone. ...the trade needs to think it's not always because people don't want to work

Last edited: