V.a.t

Status
Not open for further replies.

rycarr

Just priced up a job rang the lady with quote she asked is that including V.A.T I said yes but not exactly sure about all this kind of thing doesn't the V.A.T only affect her...sorry if this a stupid question but I'm rubbish at all that stuff. I can't really add on another 17.5 % now I still have to pay the 20% so I've done myself over?

You only add vat if your vat registered.
if no its £xxx
if yes its £xxx +20%.
Yea vat will only affect her as she will be paying extra 20%
you benifit if registered in the way of any vat you pay. I.e material fuel services you will get that 20%vat back every quater of tax year.

Vat reg is good if your commercial.
shite if your domestic

Just priced up a job rang the lady with quote she asked is that including V.A.T I said yes but not exactly sure about all this kind of thing doesn't the V.A.T only affect her...sorry if this a stupid question
but I'm rubbish at all that stuff. I can't really add on another 17.5 % now I still have to pay the 20% so I've done myself over?

Apologies accepted

Yeah Vodka And Tonic ! That's my vat and add at least a couple of bottles on each job !! Hic .....:RpS_thumbup:

I'm not V.A.T registered just started trading in August when I registered spoke to HMRC they told me until I was earning over the threshold which was about £70'000 there was no need I'm no way near that after expensives etc probably on a loss this year.

If you're not VAT registered then telling a customer that VAT is included is a very bad idea. If HMRC got to know about it you would be reamed, they don't mess about or listen to excuses. Guilt of fraud is automatically presumed and you have to prove to their satisfaction that you are innocent.

It sounds to me like you need to do some reading and/or go on a course covering how to set up and run a business. Carry on in the way you are and it will end in tears. Although that may be not be tears you cry, but tears as in rips in your 4arse from the shafting you'll get from HMRC!

I swear the threads on here get dafter.
Indeed and stupid questions deserve stupid answers!?? Can't believe half the stuff I've read on here latley mate. Especially the humdrum regard a certain make of trowel?? Its like plastering had just been invented!!?? I give up!:-(

Indeed and stupid questions deserve stupid answers!?? Can't believe half the stuff I've read on here latley mate. Especially the humdrum regard a certain make of trowel?? Its like plastering had just been invented!!?? I give up!:-(

:RpS_blushing:

don't give up marshy have another drink :RpS_scared::RpS_thumbsup:

Just priced up a job rang the lady with quote she asked is that including V.A.T I said yes but not exactly sure about all this kind of thing doesn't the V.A.T only affect her...sorry if this a stupid question but I'm rubbish at all that stuff. I can't really add on another 17.5 % now I still have to pay the 20% so I've done myself over?
It's people like you that are ******* are trade up why don't ya **** off back to McDonald's were you belong

The invoice you give to the customer will tell everything . If you don't have a template, get one from your accounting. I am sure she/he will be happy to help . Actually this is where you should of start with , at the end of the year you will need one anyway. Work close with them to avoid any catastrophic moments at the end of the year.

If you're not VAT registered then telling a customer that VAT is included is a very bad idea. If HMRC got to know about it you would be reamed, they don't mess about or listen to excuses. Guilt of fraud is automatically presumed and you have to prove to their satisfaction that you are innocent.

It sounds to me like you need to do some reading and/or go on a course covering how to set up and run a business. Carry on in the way you are and it will end in tears. Although that may be not be tears you cry, but tears as in rips in your 4arse from the shafting you'll get from HMRC!

I never mentioned V.AT she asked me if price included it, it didn't becauseI didn't think v.a.t was anything I needed to consider from what I've looked up I'm no way near thresehold only started as self employed few months ago.

Just priced up a job rang the lady with quote she asked is that including V.A.T I said yes but not exactly sure about all this kind of thing

So you told her it included VAT, but it doesn't. As I said, if HMRC get wind of you telling customers that VAT is included when you're not registered they will take your financial life apart. Ignorance is not a defence and at the very least you will be expected to cough up the 20% plus a fine. They will likely make the assumption that you've done that with all jobs.

What you need to do is get up to speed with running a business. I'm not being harsh, just calling it as it is. You clearly don't have a clue, and if you don't get one sharpish you'll end up in trouble.

Had this all the time as a landlord.. Every time you ask a sole trader for a receipt he says I'll have to add the vat on the price now.. When you can clearly see there small time some traders and never gonna be vat reg.. I just tell em to **** off now lol

I'm deffo small time just caught off guard with it most customers never mention vat, I wish I was raking it in to be vat registered.

Had this all the time as a landlord.. Every time you ask a sole trader for a receipt he says I'll have to add the vat on the price now.. When you can clearly see there small time some traders and never gonna be vat reg.. I just tell em to **** off now lol

Same response people get when they ask if I can do it for cash without the VAT or an invoice. A lot of tradesmen moan about having to charge VAT and how it costs them business. Personally I've found it to be a good thing as it instantly weeds out people who can't afford the work they want doing.

Too dear? Can't afford it? Cry me a river. Ican't afford a super yacht and a private jet, and I don't get discount on my shopping because I think it's too dear.

Omg ffs

U need to value your skills. Anyone can put on skirting and architrave, build a block wall, paint, wiring isn't that hard either it's just knowledge.

But plastering - years of experience will only get u there and should be a short career. So phone him and tell him you made a mistake. It was £400 not £200

I had a lovely one a few yrs back. Monoed the front of a guys house. Was whatever it was + vat. He agrees price. Iv started and he goes do u want cash. I can go to the bank. I said oh no no i only do it legit (not). So off he goes and paid me the while lot plus vat cash. I was like erm. Ooookkkkk. ........ Never had that before or since.

U need to value your skills. Anyone can put on skirting and architrave, build a block wall, paint, wiring isn't that hard either it's just knowledge.

But plastering - years of experience will only get u there and should be a short career. So phone him and tell him you made a mistake. It was £400 not £200

What a load of b0ll0cks! Plastering is a skilled trade no different to the others, with the possible exception that when it goes wrong in plastering the wall or ceiling may look sh1t, but no one's going to die.

They all take years to gain a depth of knowledge and skill where you can claim to be a skilled tradesman. Equally they all (including plastering) can be picked up at a basic level in a matter of weeks.

Maybe one day people in the trades will realise that divide and conquer works well for keeping the rates and appreciation of all the trades down. Until tradesmen start valuing and appreciating the time and skill levels required in doing anything to a high standard it's pointless expecting a customer to put any value on them.

Calm down. just saying... How many people do you know that aren't plasterers that plastered their own house. Prob none.

Status
Not open for further replies.