Cream of Tartar in your mix to slow down the setting process. Does it work ?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony4173

Hi guys,

Done a few small skimming jobs with no problems but have been asked to do a large ceiling. Although i am not greatly fast, i am just wondering if cream of tartar works in the mix to slow the setting time down which will give me more time to get it on and trowel it off.

Has anyone used this and does it work and how much to put in a bucket mix.

Thanks

Get some one in to help you or do in 2 halfs get one side on and under control and flat then get other side on asap like a bizzy bee how many smaller ceilings have you done ?

Done a few mate and walls..been to plastering college for last 12 months but need to pick my speed up and dont wanna mess up a job.

I covered this one yesterday. Cream of Tartar, gluesize and Trysodium Cytrate are the usable retarders for plaster. The ne that is most exact is the last one as you make up a concentrate with water and add as little as you need to the guage to affect it to the required time you require.
trysodium is safe to use comes in a sugar form. cream of tarter dosent always disperse thoroughly,size needs water and lime added to stop it gelling.Go to tomps.com you can buy it there not expensive.

Interesting is that, so it does work ! but un-sure by those mixing guidelines on that site how much to put in to a 25kg bag of multi finish. Just want to try it til i pick my speed up so this will give me confidence.

How big os this ceiling? Me and a mate covered a 50m2 ceiling this week, first coat flat, second coat flatter then went over it with a spat twice. Shiny and flat with plenty of fag breaks in between. If its on board then you can always pva first to help you out a bit. College wont teach you how to make money. Quality rather than quantity is best, speed will come with time :RpS_thumbsup:

Its about 15m2 i know thats nowt to you guys but to me it is. had a bad experience in the heatwave weather cpl months ago the plaster just set instantly with the heat lol.

A wee baby. Pva it and get everything ready to go before you mix. Dont overmix and maybe mix in 2 halves, smaller buckets of fresh gear go off one after another which will save you chasing one mix going off all at once. The ceiling me and a mate done ate 6.5 bags of multi.

I need to get in with a time served plasterer from Leeds to get my speed up, no-ones botherd though..would labour and spread for a labourers wage to get that experience.. I'm good at it but need that confidence on bigger areas

I'm probably more confident with monocouche than skimming, did a couple of jobs in the summer with a plasterer...long days though !

Its not the end of topic...only a wee joke, laugh ffs. good luck with your lid marra with the creamy tartar . I've never used it so ill keep my nose out...:RpS_thumbup:

try snorting some of it. .......might give you a sense of humour.:rolleyes)...cheer up...its Friday.:RpS_thumbsup:

Great idea, mite cut it with some Peruvian marching gear tonite and watch everyone blowing bubbles from there shneckers lol

Fatarm...I can take a joke pal all good here :) Nisus.....thanks for that very usefull bit of info there probably will do that..Fresh batch in sections on larger areas..Cheers !

Mix a bucket ,have a board ready and everything you need to,do. It, bang it on flatten it, mix half bucket for second bang. it on for second flatten it, it will be faster than this post..

Edited it a bit....by a bucket full

Last edited:
@tony4173 Ignore johniosaif hes not even a spread, your ceiling shouldn't need any more than a bag and a half mate,just take your time with it you'll be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
@tony4173 Ignore johniosaif hes not even a spread, your ceiling shouldn't need any more than a bag and a half mate,just take your time with it you'll be fine.
This is true, I have never measured a ceiling, just know by looking at it how much to mix. I used to do £29 work of plastering per years upto 2005 ,only do £8 to £10now,so part time basically, a two bed flat will take 2 days to skim, three bed house 4 to s5 days, never had the creme of tartar..

Last edited:
"Get it on thick and get it on quick" is the new motto lol
Sorry tony, no its more that people at it all the time don't measure, they just get ready and get the labourer to mix, generally will know how much to mix by just looking at it, we done a ceiling with 12 bags once but had a nice scaffold to work on and done it as a rolling set, I was younger and fitter then though.

Beat me to it arty.
trumpet_zps15fbfe16.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.