How many coats of plaster?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason555

Hi Gentlemen,

I’ve built a stud wall and fixed the plasterboards. I used 4â€￾ X 2â€￾ timbers and 12.5mm plasterboard. All vertical plasterboard joins on timbers, and I’m quite pleased with the outcome.

I’ve had two different plasterers give me a quote. But I’m a little confused. The quote prices are very different. The first plasterer said that the wall would require two coats of plaster, the second plasterer said it would only need one coat of what he called multifinish :RpS_unsure:.

Could anyone advise what I should really have in terms of coats of plaster?

2 coats jason and get recent references if your unsure ...

The plasterer who said 2 coats may be proposing to use bonding plaster before applying a coat of multi-finish (in two passes).
Just ask him :RpS_thumbup:

I am waiting for "jason" to return next week, Help please ,how do I paint this wall, he is a bit like the chicken with the harvest, I wonder which one actually exists?

The plasterer who said 2 coats may be proposing to use bonding plaster before applying a coat of multi-finish (in two passes).
Just ask him :RpS_thumbup:
I hope not on plasterboard or maybe the boarding and timbers are all over the place? Dont sound like it as jason is pround of his stud. Refearing to the can of worms topic, as u know i like and always recomend 2 coats but talking to a master plasterer the other day who taught me a few skills a long time ago he said and admited.... in this day in age to be fair lance, the prices are that crap at the moment and with big companies taking retention money off hard working lads they need to make it pay and get it back some way. your lucky your not onsite everyday cock otherwise youd be tempted lol.

I hope not on plasterboard or maybe the boarding and timbers are all over the place? Dont sound like it as jason is pround of his stud. Refearing to the can of worms topic, as u know i like and always recomend 2 coats but talking to a master plasterer the other day who taught me a few skills a long time ago he said and admited.... in this day in age to be fair lance, the prices are that crap at the moment and with big companies taking retention money off hard working lads they need to make it pay and get it back some way. your lucky your not onsite everyday cock otherwise youd be tempted lol.

talkin of retention is it just plasterers or is it all trades ive never asked chppies or decs or plumbers ????

I don't intend on opening a can of worms on the topic of one or two coats, but board is such an easy background to work with that you can easily get away with one coat. In traditional two coating, the first coat helps to control the suction, but normal board doesn't have suction issues so you can practically achieve the same finish as a two coated background.

I don't intend on opening a can of worms on the topic of one or two coats, but board is such an easy background to work with that you can easily get away with one coat. In traditional two coating, the first coat helps to control the suction, but normal board doesn't have suction issues so you can practically achieve the same finish as a two coated background.
I would worms and all say that is a bodge ,two coats or pick up you coat and go home on my jobs...

talkin of retention is it just plasterers or is it all trades ive never asked chppies or decs or plumbers ????

builders like to stop everyone retention. then they think it is their money so you have to fight to get it released.
they also try to stop citb payments, main contractor discounts, so you must read every contract or the barstewards will try to rip you off.

I've got one to do next week where the brand new stud wall is fkin terrible! One of the uprights is like a dogs' back leg.
If I think on I'll take some pics :RpS_thumbup:

Fcukin cowboy

back when i started plasterboards was darkside down and took all moisture from skim ,there was no way of putting a big hit on in one so to get round this two coated everything, bg stated we had to use light side down because the glue wasnt waterproof , when we did the next house,all the ceilings was still piss wet through so we layed on with next to nothing and been doing that ever since, one coat two coat who cares ?? it means nothing if your work is right and everyones happy you get paid alls good, people have different opinions/standards and plasterers are allways right!! this is one argument no one will win:confused:

I always was taught 2 coating... I like 2 coating... I lay my first coat on very neat but still I dont think anything beats putting a tight coat over the top....

That being said I have not seen anyone do a decent job of using a sponge or one coating...

Status
Not open for further replies.