How many coats of plaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so ,but its just the way I have always done it, too old to change now, I would not accept one coat work, sorry Minh, just not convinced...

Why don't you ask one of your guys to try it? You'll only be able to make an informed decision from experimenting.

I was also taught to two coat board, but I met this old spread and he showed me otherwise. I wasn't convinced until I saw it first hand. There is no difference in the overall quality :)

No, no no.. In a victor meldrew fashion, gutting a house at the minute in west Norwood so skimming is a long way off, skips and demolishing this week.

There's a huge stigma atatched to it most decent plasterers would tell you its the final finish that matters but people all to easy fall on the bandwagon, I bet 99% of the people who slate it haven't even tried it and there jealous because its quicker lol, doesn't make a difference you're all idiots get some **** lads in 2 coating against someone good one coating or vice versa its an arguement that is brought up from egos

I tried one coating and sponging on one wall last week just to see how it went and another at the same time 2 coated both walls looked the same when finished but, imo the wall that was sponged seemed to be weaker when dried ! By that i mean i tried with a scraper at the bottom of the wall to scratch the finish off and the sponged wall did not seem to be has hard. Now this could be that due to it being the first time i had used a sponge in this way? I would do it again but probably in places that wouldn't see heavy traffic say cupboards etc

i actually believe i could one coat and two coat in a room and asif wouldn't know any diff , i myself have high standards aswell, if you spray shite on wall do you two coat ? i actually dont know but i dont think they do , wats the difference ?

I tried one coating and sponging on one wall last week just to see how it went and another at the same time 2 coated both walls looked the same when finished but, imo the wall that was sponged seemed to be weaker when dried ! By that i mean i tried with a scraper at the bottom of the wall to scratch the finish off and the sponged wall did not seem to be has hard. Now this could be that due to it being the first time i had used a sponge in this way? I would do it again but probably in places that wouldn't see heavy traffic say cupboards etc
In places, where its dark and people don't look ?

i actually believe i could one coat and two coat in a room and asif wouldn't know any diff , i myself have high standards aswell, if you spray shite on wall do you two coat ? i actually dont know but i dont think they do , wats the difference ?
I have no idea what you said , I get that people do it, some like it too, but I don't think I would,I have been wrong before ,at least once in my life..

I have no idea what you said , I get that people do it, some like it too, but I don't think I would,I have been wrong before ,at least once in my life..
it means the stigma you put on one coating is bollox , as said you wouldnt know any different

Stigma is a bit strong, I don't really care what others do or what they like, perhaps old fashioned,but I would not at this present time hire one coaters or recommend them ,don't mean to offend those that do, obviously works for some and some will not know the difference, so faster,cheaper,easier on their bodies, good luck to them..

In places, where its dark and people don't look ?

Yes basically that said the finish was the same i just wasn't totally convinced that the amount of water used for the sponging had not weakend the finish. After 30 odd years of 2 coating i was always told while serving my time that the less water you use the better the finish you get so tbh if i'm aching too much one day or whatever i would use again in dark corners :RpS_lol:

Who cares the Germans have been doing it for years if it weakend it that bad why haven't we heard of it falling of the walls, it's another myth made up by the anti one coat crew

I suppose the other thing that has a bearing on your one/two coat debate is whats the standard of boardwork like that your trying to cover?, because some of the fly by night dabbers that we sometimes have to follow youd struggle to make it right with 3 coats!.

I suppose the other thing that has a bearing on your one/two coat debate is whats the standard of boardwork like that your trying to cover?, because some of the fly by night dabbers that we sometimes have to follow youd struggle to make it right with 3 coats!.

There's a huge stigma atatched to it most decent plasterers would tell you its the final finish that matters but people all to easy fall on the bandwagon, I bet 99% of the people who slate it haven't even tried it and there jealous because its quicker lol, doesn't make a difference you're all idiots get some **** lads in 2 coating against someone good one coating or vice versa its an arguement that is brought up from egos
and you have the biggest ego on this forum

There was a guy i once worked for who by all accounts was the master of the one coat when he was on the trowel, however once he was off the trowel with 30 odd subbies on for him he sent a letter out to every one of them telling them that one coating was unnaceptable on any of his jobs!, strange that isnt it if you cant tell the difference it shouldnt matter! Only any decent plasterer can tell the difference! Now its plenty good enough most of the time granted but not on every site, i dont have an ego im not the best but im far from the worst ill stick to 2coating it and leaving site an hour later safe in the knowledge that when it Does matter, im already doing it.

when and if i one coat i put more shite on wall than if i was two coating, the art is getting on it green rather than waiting to trowel up , i lay it down with itself as im going over it , not against one coating and not pro one coating ,ive made a living out of plastering and probably will do until my body says no!!!

each to there own

If you are a good enough trowel,you can get away with one all day long just stick it on a bit heavier,be able to clean tools and tubs etc have an even longer break or prep more walls whatever you decide,nothing wrong with two coat skim either,only difference in my opinion is a bit more work and still the same end result,only really need to apply second coat if end up under a bit of pressure and chasing your arse,I.e the mix is setting bit quicker or background is causing bit more suction than anticipated,so fire on wee second coat to keep it at bay,prices are so low just now so one coat wonders are what they are getting,if your good enough you can easily do both,just up to the pricing and how you feel at the time I suppose,oh and how good you are,simples!!!

when and if i one coat i put more shite on wall than if i was two coating, the art is getting on it green rather than waiting to trowel up , i lay it down with itself as im going over it , not against one coating and not pro one coating ,ive made a living out of plastering and probably will do until my body says no!!!

each to there own
Exactly mate dont get me wrong i wasnt trying to preach or anything, in this life you have to walk your own path, whatever works best for you bud,:RpS_thumbup:

Not being funny lads but most of us if not all of us are taught to give it two coats Bg tells us it needs to be done in two coats and everywhere tells you to, How can you have any argument that 1 coat is right when the manufacturers tell you its not and its there product!! Just my opinion but each to there own i guess.

The best job is a bonding coat, then two coats of multi, we used to do this for top class work, people here believe a 1 mm skim will give the quality that their clients wants, well I applaud them, wish I could get quality with so little effort

The best job is a bonding coat, then two coats of multi, we used to do this for top class work, people here believe a 1 mm skim will give the quality that their clients wants, well I applaud them, wish I could get quality with so little effort

Bonding & multi on boardwork ?

BG recommend skim is 2mm thick, so wether its done to that thickness in one or two coats who cares lol. :RpS_biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.