Browning on thermalite .

British Gypsum had a training corse for dot and dab in the 60s.
Two of my uncles did it in the seventies.
I remember the BG plodger one of my uncles had for mixing the adhesive. Imagine people nowadays mixing their addy by hand.

Am i right in thinking you used to set hard dots/guides level 1st then push boards back to them once set?

yes that is correct.
this was a left over practice from floating on higher class plastering.
we would also dot floor screeds, on large commercial areas i.e. shopping malls. these would be levelled in using water levels. once you are set up it was quite enjoyable just screeding off the dots.

I remember the BG plodger one of my uncles had for mixing the adhesive. Imagine people nowadays mixing their addy by hand.

i can not believe when i am told that todays methods of plastering are described as 'brutal'

What was the adhesive called when dot and dab was first introduced ? When i started in 86 it was grey powder and called bonding compound . And yes i may of had to mix the odd couple of buckets with a piece of lath in my early days , And we used to load a spot with it not just scoop out of a big tub . It was a t**t to get out of the bucket .

What was the adhesive called when dot and dab was first introduced ? When i started in 86 it was grey powder and called bonding compound . And yes i may of had to mix the odd couple of buckets with a piece of lath in my early days , And we used to load a spot with it not just scoop out of a big tub . It was a t**t to get out of the bucket .
I remember that some jobs were stuck using Carlite Bonding and that there were plenty of failures over the next few years.

I've been mixing addy by hand in the bucket this week for fireplace linings, fireplaces etc, small areas. I started off using the mixer but found it easier and quicker to get the right mix doing it old school. Didn't use my old plastic podger though!