checkatrade numpty

Members online

Can't really lose :) glad I don't need any of this shite but if I was quiet I would consider it but only if it was free ;)
Only reason we r doing it is because its free..guy has rung me every 3 months for a year told him nah on each occasion so this time he threw the free bit in and said go on then..

Lol sorry Stuart i stopped reading the thread once i seen GPS had posted. Is what true? Can't be bothered to dig through and find the question out mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you get passed for bg certified plaster without assessedseeing your finished work?

Only reason we r doing it is because its free..guy has rung me every 3 months for a year told him nah on each occasion so this time he threw the free bit in and said go on then..
I'll be interested to see how it pans out for you, as I see there's a fair few from Leeds on checkatrade, so this freebie must be a carrot dangling.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'll be interested to see how it pans out for you, as I see there's a fair few from Leeds on checkatrade, so this freebie must be a carrot dangling.

There's not many zolco compared to other areas..prob about 8 if that

There's not many zolco compared to other areas..prob about 8 if that

These sites work on the basis that the more reviews you have the more successful you are likely to be in getting enquiries and turning them into work. So for any new members it's always hard to start with hence why it will be free initially

What the dinosaurs on here don't see/ won't see is it's online word of mouth.
When most people book holidays they read reviews of others that have stayed there, our own websites can be as good as they like but they do not give what modern folk like and that's reviews, the days on someone taking a punt on a tradesman from the local rag are gone.

These sites work on the basis that the more reviews you have the more successful you are likely to be in getting enquiries and turning them into work. So for any new members it's always hard to start with hence why it will be free initially

What the dinosaurs on here don't see/ won't see is it's online word of mouth.
When most people book holidays they read reviews of others that have stayed there, our own websites can be as good as they like but they do not give what modern folk like and that's reviews, the days on someone taking a punt on a tradesman from the local rag are gone.
I agree with you, it's online word of mouth, reviews always appreciated be that good or bad

Did you get passed for bg certified plaster without assessedseeing your finished work?

Yes and no. We were on an extension and it was day 2 of the job. We'd put the ceilings on (rolled edges and pitched) and several walls so we were just doing some more walls the morning he came.

Did he see our finished work- yes
Did he sit around for 3 hours to watch us finish that set also - no.

As i've said before i think theres far to much being made of that detail. If i went and met another spread and chatted for 30 mins after seeing his van, clothes and work area etc you can tell if someones knows what there doing.

When someone starts laying on and gear isn't flying all over the floor you can see there not inexperienced at the job. In my opinion the process itself is flawed because you couldn't realistically watch someone do every aspect of the job before letting them on the scheme however the way the scheme is set up with customers being contacted after every job any wronguns that did slip through would be flagged up pretty quick & work corrected for the customer (under the T&C's of the scheme) with them being removed.

I've also said that not every good plasterer takes on all aspects if the job so judging someone like myself on screeding a floor for instance would be a waste of time for everyone because A) i'm pretty s**t and slow at it and B) i don't take screeding jobs on because of point A.

Unfortunately people like @gps will always find a negative in a positive so like yourself i've not been asked not to comment i just dont bother because he's one of them people that will focus on one thing and just bang on about it.

See comments below where he will bring up the T&C's as if its a new thing that a company cover their arse.

Yes and no. We were on an extension and it was day 2 of the job. We'd put the ceilings on (rolled edges and pitched) and several walls so we were just doing some more walls the morning he came.

As i've said before i think theres far to much being made of that detail. If i went and met another spread and chatted for 30 mins after seeing his van, clothes and work area etc you can tell if someones knows what there doing.

When someone starts laying on and gear isn't flying all over the floor you can see there not inexperienced at the job. In my opinion the process itself is flawed because you couldn't realistically watch someone do every aspect of the job before letting them on the scheme however the way the scheme is set up with customers being contacted after every job any wronguns that did slip through would be flagged up pretty quick & work corrected for the customer (under the T&C's of the scheme) with them being removed.

I've also said that not every good plasterer takes on all aspects if the job so judging someone like myself on screeding a floor for instance would be a waste of time for everyone because A) i'm pretty s**t and slow at it and B) i don't take screeding jobs on because of point A.

Unfortunately people like @gps will always find a negative in a positive so like yourself i've not been asked not to comment i just dont bother because he's one of them people that will focus on one thing and just bang on about it.

See comments below where he will bring up the T&C's as if its a new thing that a company cover their arse.

There is covering your arse and taking absolute liberties, but just to clarify my main issue is the claims and lies made by some or 1 just like the absolute tosh with uni.
@stuart23 I can't be arsed but the other threads on this confirm what I said.

There is covering your arse and taking absolute liberties, but just to clarify my main issue is the claims and lies made by some or 1 just like the absolute tosh with uni.
@stuart23 I can't be arsed but the other threads on this confirm what I said.

Go on i'll bite....what claims?

Did you had much work out of them?

I'm a scruffy c**t so I must be s**t :)

Dan is it you who's vat registered and on checkatrade? Do u win any internal jobs at all wen u tell customers ur vat registered etc? Just cant see sumbody wanting to pay 20% vat wen there don't need to..or is any1else on checkatrade who's vat registered?

Dan is it you who's vat registered and on checkatrade? Do u win any internal jobs at all wen u tell customers ur vat registered etc? Just cant see sumbody wanting to pay 20% vat wen there don't need to..or is any1else on checkatrade who's vat registered?
Not VAT registered myself. But get asked a lot, if my price includes vat or not, so I guess there must be quite a few on there...
Really helpful post this one isn't it....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We win at least as many private jobs since being vat registered i thought we'd struggle but some people seem to take comfort from a tradesman being a legit business in my opinion. On the smaller jobs its marginal the difference vs a non vat firm and on the bigger jobs the advantage of being a business outweighs the extra cost.

I know f**k all though tbf.

Interested to see how checkatrade works our for u as i'd like to start doing more private work in the new year and mybuilder looked like a scam when i joined up to take a look at it- again thats just my opinion

It makes no odds for f**k sake if your Var registered if you include the bat the answer to the question is"yes" or lose a job. Why hide the vat rather than scare people?

It makes no odds for f**k sake if your Var registered if you include the bat the answer to the question is"yes" or lose a job. Why hide the vat rather than scare people?
Course it matters if ur pricing a living room the chances of getting that are surely slimmer if ur adding 20% vat on! That's obvious that flynny suprised u of all people wudnt get that..vince mayb but you!

Not sure it does. I'm not vat registered but I'm expensive. I know I've won jobs against much cheaper quotes. A good reference works wonders.
Ye but pug I'm expensive aswell so adding 20% make me extortionate lol..just wondered if any1 else makes it pay on there with vat and all added in..

Reactions: Pug
Ye but pug I'm expensive aswell so adding 20% make me extortionate lol..just wondered if any1 else makes it pay on there with vat and all added in..
Some of the older folk are ok with it as said they like a decent job done
Most run a mile on the re skim jobs!!!

Some of the older folk are ok with it as said they like a decent job done
Most run a mile on the re skim jobs!!!

Ye cant imagine Mrs jones (gets about does are Mrs jones) going for it prob get laughed out of the door! Time will tell anyway..

Never assume Kitchy you're a site plasterer so how much you deal with customers I don't no .. but the price is in your own head I've won jobs with a big prices in areas you'd think wouldn't pay it's all about your approach one thing I've learned is don't youse plasterers jargon like you're speaking to another plasterer keep it so simple like your speaking to a child let the customer in your quote be able to no exactly what you're going to do in such a basic way. I found this approach is a win win .
For example don't youse dot and Dab instead use to supply and fit 12.5 mm plasterboard to bedroom wall I guarantee success by keeping it simple for miss Jones never assume they understand words and never assume that your price is too high. Best of luck

I'm on the certified scheme. Assessor wanted to see work from the previous day and watched me put 2 hits on and finish. Also watched me float a wall. Was surprised to see him pick up my straight edge and level to check my walls. Asked him would he have failed me if it was not spot on or would he have passed me anyways. Told me he fails more guys than he passes.

I'm sure gps will come up with another load of boll0x when he reads this