how much would you charge a day(8hours)to do a plastering job for a mate?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,just got a phone call a couple of days ago to do a job for his bloke,said he'd give me £60(day rate)to plaster his ceiling and walls,i said ill do it but asked him how big of a job is it,he said not very big soo thought ok ill i popped round the following day.I got there and he wanted the ceiling and walls skimmed on that day as there were joiners on site the next day.I skimmed 30 m2 in total and laboured for meself and i was quite ****** to be honest afterwards.Im sticking to m2 rates again now.Thing is we all short of ££s these days as we all know and theres too much competition in the trade soo im always affraid to turn work down but i cant keep doing shitty day rates at £60 when im doing everything alone.Charging by the bag now,need to reap the rewards of the work rate im flogging now.

As long as someone is willing to work for that sort of money the 'good times' will never return. You - and anyone else working for ridiculous rates like that - need to realise that, and maybe try and get some savings built up and then you can refuse to work for such rates :RpS_thumbup:

There's some migrant workers I've come across that earn exactly that. Most of them round here are either Pashtun (Afghani) or what people call 'Freshies' straight from India.

feck your trowel and machines. For 60 quid a day id apply th plaster with a catapult :RpS_thumbup:

I've got a policy that real mates and family are free , and everyone else pays full rate. so I suppose the question is , how good a mate is he ....... ?

been plastering for a good few years,loads of competition these days as you'll already know,never been the one to turn down work and always treat the job as it was on me own house to get a good reputation but im going to have to be firm and start earning a decent wage.You pay what u get,and ive never had a complaint off any client ive worked for,always been pleased but now im going to have to charge my terms and if their like it or find it cheaper else where then so be it,cant please everyone can i,stick to my guns from now on,thanks for the genuine comments ;)

Right let's put this correct!Yes - i use a bike for work!Yes - i use a trailer!I get by on £60 a day as that's £300 a week!!I live with my mother & i don't have to pay board, i haven't got a car blah blah blah.So £300 a week is a lot for a 21 year old with no bills!Dave.

hahah its mr bean with a trowel lmfao hahahah bike and trailer :RpS_lol:

60 a day !!! thats 7 quid more than some sausage jockey had the balls to phone me up and ask me to work down cheltenham for i politley told him to kiss my rusty bullethole and ended the call

Im sorry rocky4 but your a ****** idiot. Its people like yourselves that are just ****** it up for everyone. Sure aposed to once charge 150+ you might drop round to 120 100 for cash these days etc but 60 is just plain stupid. If you think thats all a days graft plastering is work please do us all a favour and get a differnt job thats suited to that price range.

Every time i read a thread like this i just want to scream at all these muppets screwing it up!

Hi deplastering. 60 aday will never get you anywhere mate in the trade. ull always be chasing a pound note. and aslo dont devalue your self. u should at least want 100 aday. and stick to it. work will come stay very clean and tidy. and put your self out every day to bring more work in. if you stick to 60 when u start up properly ur old customers will be expecting the same kind of prices of u later on. so start ya customer portfolio now in a year ull be amazed how much u have. good luck. and it is all banter on here just bite back lol.

As long as someone is willing to work for that sort of money the 'good times' will never return. You - and anyone else working for ridiculous rates like that - need to realise that, and maybe try and get some savings built up and then you can refuse to work for such rates :RpS_thumbup:

I couldn't agree more.

There is a very fine line between "plasterer" and "mental illness."
it may have been crossed:RpS_laugh:

Fortunately I have no mates, to much of a let down. Prefer dogs as company to mates.

Left school in 72 and got £4.75 for a 40 hr week. Full wage was £27 back then for a spread. Got to 19-20 and 'mates' started to get hitched and settle down starting with the shot gun weddings lol. we was all in the trade and I worked for a bricky and got nothing back. he got 6 days work out of me. A roofer and I got a outside toilet reproofed without ridges. He got 3 days. I got 2 hours. A joiner 2 days and materials, I got zilch off him. So when it came to so called mates I was always to busy and probably was.

Working for mates, relatives and neighbours is an easy way to fall out with them so its a no go with me.

£60 a day? Well I see I see his point and for no overheads, only 4-5 hours and self taught? the customer is probably getting what they are paying for. But if he gets better those cheap skate customers will still want £60 a day and ask for more they will give him a wide berth. More fool him and them.

We will always have people who will only pay cheap rates like our colonial friends from the middle east but they get cheap work and thats the deal. We have our pride and professionalism and customers will pay for quality and quantity. As for the 30m2 a day skimmer for £60 then make life easy for yourself work like that for one of us. We find you the work and money and you have a regular income.

I struggle up here in Sheffield to better £120 a day for me and overheads. I get less for the other two lads. I am not the cheapest either, far from it. Most of my competition is Father & Son or Uncle & nephew outfits in clapped out trannies and discounts for cash. My success rate is 1 in 6 jobs quoted and I do a pretty good presentation. Sometimes it is down to availability as in summer it can be a 2-3 month wait.

fair play to you mate, i think some of the other guy's see you as a cheaper threat to help peeps bring down prices, if you only charge that much it makes us all look like robber's, how long a day do you do then ? out of interest, sound's like you have a great mum to look after you !!, why don't you increase you price a bit, then give it to you long suffering mother you tight little barstard ......lol
hahahaha rofl pmsl

I wish i still lived with me mum, No board, No bills and No wife and kids. Happy Days !. Now on a lot more than £60 a day and no bloody work !!. Stay where you are mate and have no worries.

i dont think its good when people go in at less than £120 a day, if you do a good job and work hard then deserve a full days wage, and if some one comes in a starts quoting peanuts then it ruins it for the rest of us, if i wanted to go work for nothing id go get a job in a shop!

Status
Not open for further replies.