how much would you charge a day(8hours)to do a plastering job for a mate?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im sorry rocky4 but your a ****** idiot. Its people like yourselves that are just ****** it up for everyone. Sure aposed to once charge 150+ you might drop round to 120 100 for cash these days etc but 60 is just plain stupid. If you think thats all a days graft plastering is work please do us all a favour and get a differnt job thats suited to that price range.

Every time i read a thread like this i just want to scream at all these muppets screwing it up!

I,m glad I,m Rocky1 not Rocky4

I recently done a week drylining/plastering for a builder/ mate. He paid me £100 a day but squeezed my balls for a bit more each day and had me there till 5.00pm :RpS_cursing: Oh well ,he's a mate after all. I helped him strip a roof last week for 3 days for £80a day. On the last day he fooked off to a meeting and i got bored waiting for him as i had nothing to do without his direction so i got a train home at 3.30pm. The asswipe stopped me £40 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not going to fall out with him but NEVER AGAIN. These "favours" rarely come back the other way ,so grab as much as you can when you can.

I,m glad I,m Rocky1 not Rocky4

I recently done a week drylining/plastering for a builder/ mate. He paid me £100 a day but squeezed my balls for a bit more each day and had me there till 5.00pm :RpS_cursing: Oh well ,he's a mate after all. I helped him strip a roof last week for 3 days for £80a day. On the last day he fooked off to a meeting and i got bored waiting for him as i had nothing to do without his direction so i got a train home at 3.30pm. The asswipe stopped me £40 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not going to fall out with him but NEVER AGAIN. These "favours" rarely come back the other way ,so grab as much as you can when you can.
Rocky three was my favourite

Before I started spreading for a living again this January I charged nothing to my immediate family. What I got in return was free food, booze and a lot of offers of help with different things. As soon as I started spreading in January they said they didn't want me working for them unless they could actually pay me. I'm charging £100 a day through the books. It is my living now after all. Charge less if you want but you are undermining the value of our trade and our skills. Think about that when a builder only wants to pay you crap wages and expects long hours.

hi,just got a phone call a couple of days ago to do a job for his bloke,said he'd give me £60(day rate)to plaster his ceiling and walls,i said ill do it but asked him how big of a job is it,he said not very big soo thought ok ill i popped round the following day.I got there and he wanted the ceiling and walls skimmed on that day as there were joiners on site the next day.I skimmed 30 m2 in total and laboured for meself and i was quite ****** to be honest afterwards.Im sticking to m2 rates again now.Thing is we all short of ££s these days as we all know and theres too much competition in the trade soo im always affraid to turn work down but i cant keep doing shitty day rates at £60 when im doing everything alone.Charging by the bag now,need to reap the rewards of the work rate im flogging now.

ha been there done that, never doing a job blindley again.

customer asked me to fit cornice x amount, told me the room was just sqaure, turn up, got pipe work boxed in, chimney breast etc etc. its the mitres that take the time, was fumig.
another customer told me the room was empty, turned up sideboard full of the family china and a dining table bigger than the room!!!

with regards to working for mates, ill only help them out for nothing, and expect nothing in return. Cant be let down and cant fall out over nothing. if i dont want to help them for nout then i dont do it.
aslong as im not out of pocket of course.

Right this is how i am>
Anyone making money off you = full price
A close member of family = free ( they normally give you something any way)
A fiend in a trade = full price and id expect to pay the same to them when i need them (keeps things even)
A freind = full price (just make them think your doing it cheap)
An old person depending on how bad they smell = full price
A sexy lady = for sexual favours

Right this is how i am>
Anyone making money off you = full price
A close member of family = free ( they normally give you something any way)
A fiend in a trade = full price and id expect to pay the same to them when i need them (keeps things even)
A freind = full price (just make them think your doing it cheap)
An old person depending on how bad they smell = full price
A sexy lady = for sexual favours

lol sounds about right to me, I'd change an old person depending on how bad they smell to = Double

He who does something for something will always have something.
The spread who spreads for bread will always have spread to spread on his bread! :RpS_unsure:

I'd charge your mate 8cups of tea 2 bacon butties with brown sauce and to climb on his missus for a bit of Yankee doodle when the jobs done. I'm cheap tho me :RpS_thumbup:

Betty butter bought some butter. But the butter betty bought was bitter. So betty bought some better butter. Better than the bitter butter betty bought before.

Betty butter bought some butter. But the butter betty bought was bitter. So betty bought some better butter. Better than the bitter butter betty bought before.

Beddy Butter.........;-).....FFS you can't go sharing new products before av put them in the catalogue...........:mad:

Well you have plenty of cash to buy the gear as I don't! If you have large job then you pay all the materials :-O

Rightley or wrongly ido...gulp!:RpS_crying:

have 60days terms on my supplies so in theory I don't pay upfront it just goes on account at merchants I thought everyone did that?

Depending on the material cost i ask for it upfront. especially on dampproofing/tanking jobs. Av normally got more than one damp job on at once and the gear is canny expensive, specially when renovating plaster is £25 a shot.

No botha marra...............Thats what uncle arti is here for...........................:RpS_wink:

Yes as am fairly newbie so merchants won't give me credits on accounts so at moment cash till my business taken off from ground , thanks for sharing your thoughts - marra

ryan...the bq trade accounts pretty good mate once your set up its just 1 payment a month and can pay it online etc...good plain English itemised bill etc which is great for if you do your own books/tax return etc

Id be lost without it as I get a lot of cheques for a couple of outfits I work for so it gives me time to collect payment and bank before ive actualy paid for any gear etc:RpS_thumbup:

Mostly B&Q

Ryan, i started on my own only last year an as zombie says b n screw gave me 30 days and its ideal.keyline also and a few other local merchants too, 30 days........it a pain in the arse dealing in cash all the time especialy if your trying to tie it into your books , invoices,reciepts etc.
Get some accounts open... marra:RpS_thumbup:

That why I liked about B&Q plus their costs are very reasonable compared to other merchants plus stay open for longer hours!

totally agree mate...I think for 1 man bads there brilliant and as you say open till late and wknds if you want to fetch gear for the following day etc...plus every citys got a couple or 3 always have stock and can get all your sundries items!

Plus a trade shitter!!! lol:RpS_thumbup:

So how much are we happy to lay out before taking any payment?

Suppose it depends on the size of your buisness??one man band to bigger boys employing a few lads big money contracts.:RpS_unsure:

Never got this charging up front for materials carry on,
there should be an element of trust between client and tradesman on those domestic scene, if your running a business you should be able to manage cashflow and build up cash reserves in your business, as said you get minimum of 30 days credit with suppliers in any case, plasters cheap anyhow,maybe could maybe justify on 10 grand render jobs, but for mrs jones down the road where your plaster may be a 100 quid or so, looks a bit amateurish IMO. If I asked developers that we carry out work for, for money up,front id get laughed out the site office.

totally agree mate...I think for 1 man bads there brilliant and as you say open till late and wknds if you want to fetch gear for the following day etc...plus every citys got a couple or 3 always have stock and can get all your sundries items!

Plus a trade shitter!!! lol:RpS_thumbup:
Only really use b n screw for plaster,gyproc......robbin bastards for beads,scrim,bonding agents,pva screws ..well everything else really.:RpS_lol:

But it is handy to me....5 mins away:RpS_mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.