how much would you charge a day(8hours)to do a plastering job for a mate?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm one man band and i laid out nearly 1k on mats last year on a render job. I've never taken money up front, dont think i ever will. Dont know why, think its just the way i was taught lol

I said the same on here before and got shot down for it, so I guess where in the minority on this one.

I don't think customers see you in good light, if your asking for money for mats. I know its for materials, but in there mind they must be thinking you just want money upfront.

But i see your point in asking, i just couldn't do it, nor would want to really.

Never got this charging up front for materials carry on,
there should be an element of trust between client and tradesman on those domestic scene, if your running a business you should be able to manage cashflow and build up cash reserves in your business, as said you get minimum of 30 days credit with suppliers in any case, plasters cheap anyhow,maybe could maybe justify on 10 grand render jobs, but for mrs jones down the road where your plaster may be a 100 quid or so, looks a bit amateurish IMO. If I asked developers that we carry out work for, for money up,front id get laughed out the site office.
Didnt mean 100quid owls:RpS_lol: and i dont mean developers either, i understand cashflow and reserves..but i still wouldnt like layin out say 500-1000 quid to mrs jones,s internal - external extension.especially if ive never worked for her before. And getting ripped off regardless of how well cashflow is. understand askin upfront for payment as amateurish,and i dont ask for it up front, but there is a limit for me. Mabye im just new to it or just small time:RpS_unsure: but still dont like the feeling of getting ripped off

Last edited:
Never got this charging up front for materials carry on,
there should be an element of trust between client and tradesman on those domestic scene, if your running a business you should be able to manage cashflow and build up cash reserves in your business, as said you get minimum of 30 days credit with suppliers in any case, plasters cheap anyhow,maybe could maybe justify on 10 grand render jobs, but for mrs jones down the road where your plaster may be a 100 quid or so, looks a bit amateurish IMO. If I asked developers that we carry out work for, for money up,front id get laughed out the site office.

I agree 100% owls....I sometimes give a mate a pull and he asks for materials money up front it makes me curl my toes up not to mention they then know how much your charging for labour

I remember doing a thin coat render job 4 years ago on a detatched house , a builder gave him me number, it was mostly on rough brick work , some hacking off as well, I supply the scaff and skip. I gave him the price and he says can you do it cheaper for cash,i said that price is cash , the materials have to be paid up front and with the scaff its over £2500 .so he goes with the price I gave him.two days before I finish I said to him Im finished Friday then he says im struggling for the money but i'll do me best to get it, I'm thinking that night ffs I've laid out nearly £1800 for materials and this **** is gunna ave me off ,as im thinking this I put me hand in the oven to take the oven chips out and burnt me hand off worrying about this ****, come Friday finishes the job and he says ive got your money, goes in the house he gives me it, says its all there so I counted it , im £100 short I said, i'll give it you next week , his daughter standing there , pulls a £100 out of her purse and gives it to me and says we're all square now ,it can be stressful worrying if someone is gunna knock you

I remember doing a thin coat render job 4 years ago on a detatched house , a builder gave him me number, it was mostly on rough brick work , some hacking off as well, I supply the scaff and skip. I gave him the price and he says can you do it cheaper for cash,i said that price is cash , the materials have to be paid up front and with the scaff its over £2500 .so he goes with the price I gave him.two days before I finish I said to him Im finished Friday then he says im struggling for the money but i'll do me best to get it, I'm thinking that night ffs I've laid out nearly £1800 for materials and this **** is gunna ave me off ,as im thinking this I put me hand in the oven to take the oven chips out and burnt me hand off worrying about this ****, come Friday finishes the job and he says ive got your money, goes in the house he gives me it, says its all there so I counted it , im £100 short I said, i'll give it you next week , his daughter standing there , pulls a £100 out of her purse and gives it to me and says we're all square now ,it can be stressful worrying if someone is gunna knock you

I'm the same bud, always getting stressed out when it comes to payment for big jobs. I trust no one.

yeh i remember trying to help some one on here and had a strip torn off me by the flid man _ i think flid man charges about two or three thousand quid a day, he thought a thousand for a week was a joke, there again he had been on course , i dont know if it was a two day course or a three day course
but crist he new his ****, a proper expert.

300 A week less. tax and ni ???? Only ribbin. you young lad don't bite so easy???? you have still to learn about the banter, :RpS_thumbup: stick around you will learn....,, get some thick skin:rolleyes)

and a car

yeh i remember trying to help some one on here and had a strip torn off me by the flid man _ i think flid man charges about two or three thousand quid a day, he thought a thousand for a week was a joke, there again he had been on course , i dont know if it was a two day course or a three day course
but crist he new his ****, a proper expert.
:RpS_laugh:..................your going straight to hell for that one

i would charge him a hundred and somebodie i dont know twice that plumbers and electricians charge that for an hour so i wnt feel bad

What worries me is if he rings round long enough he will match that no problem.

Anyway @Danny can we delete this thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.