limelite renovating plaster

oasis said:
ok ok sooo why would we use lime lite on this building rather than hardwall? does limelite have better quality's than hardwall.. i alllways fort "old house" sand and cement but hey I'm young I'm learning ;-)

Limelite has different qualities than hardwall which is a gypsum product and some other things mixed in not sure maybe perlite or vermiculite but I'm only going off browning or bonding they didn't have hardwall 20 years ago when i was at college. Limelight is made up of lime and cement and whatever else so is completely different bit like comparing cement to finish. A lot of people will see "old house" sand and cement as sacrilege.

oasis said:
ok ok sooo why would we use lime lite on this building rather than hardwall? does limelite have better quality's than hardwall.. i alllways fort "old house" sand and cement but hey I'm young I'm learning ;-)

the walls do have a certan amount of dampnes in them which my damp man says is penetreting damp
so i fort i would be ok with hardwall

Oasis, dont use gypsum plasters, FFS USE S + C ::)

i see well thanks for taht info you'v been very helpfull to night! but the "old house" sand and cement as sacrilege. well what else woudld they be useing! humm just trying to get my head around the backingcoats, maybe sand and cement on the window wall and limeliet on the rest would be an option

i wouldn't use hardwall mate i was just saying ... I KNOW THIS MUCH ! i have no problem in using sand and cement but the question is all about the walls breathing as custmer seems to think by useing lime as in lime lite this will archive a breatheable wall........................

and were the hell did this bit come from

"" the walls do have a certan amount of dampnes in them which my damp man says is penetreting damp so i fort i would be ok with hardwall"

i never said this??????????

oasis said:

"" the walls do have a certan amount of dampnes in them which my damp man says is penetreting damp so i fort i would be ok with hardwall"

yes u did, im pissed but not that p1ssed
use s+c with w/proofer to be on the safe side mate. It does let walls breathe

It does let walls breathe

[/quote]

ahhhhhhhhh the answer i was looking for this will do ill do a print off S&C it is!

oasis said:
It does let walls breathe

ahhhhhhhhh the answer i was looking for this will do ill do a print off S&C it is!
[/quote]

use soveirgen or equivalent w/proofer tho, not sika sh1t. Dont use in hardwall ;)

oasis said:

HAHA go on irish lol

Irish is livin up 2 his name ta night! Mind u they ent in the world cup so he gets to drink on skool nights :)

oasis said:
i see well thanks for taht info you'v been very helpfull to night! but the "old house" sand and cement as sacrilege. well what else woudld they be useing! humm just trying to get my head around the backingcoats, maybe sand and cement on the window wall and limeliet on the rest would be an option

What type of property is it? Did it have a limerender internally originaly? What is the external render made up of? Why has the internal render blown? Is there a spec and if yes why? Who mentioned limelite to the customer? why do i ask so many questions? Is it upstairs or down stairs? Is the floor solid or timber? Are the windows timber or UPVC? Doing the window walls different wont make any odds and you will have to speak to render bender about why sand and cement on old building is sacrilege. :-*

oasis said:
Irish is livin up 2 his name ta night! Mind u they ent in the world cup so he gets to drink on skool nights :)

We'll all be drinking on school nights after the 1st round :-*

I've always been taught the only option with solid stone Walls that 'need' to breath is to use limelite base with lime high impact finish.
I apprecaite that s&c is cheaper, but mixed with waterproofer...? Surely it can't do the same
job a a plaster that us manufactured to be breathable...?
Also... Using board finish over limelite base? Are you honestly saying the limelite rep advised you to use a gypsum plaster straight over a lime base coat????????????? The only reason I ask I because the tech people at tarmac say whatever you do 'do NOT put gypsum over lime or vise versa.

I'm confused... Starting to think that these plaster co's are taking the piss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Used limlite for years i was trained on the stuff we used to use carlite to skim if my memory is correct but hey it was a long time ago.

RMK said:
I've always been taught the only option with solid stone Walls that 'need' to breath is to use limelite base with lime high impact finish.
I apprecaite that s&c is cheaper, but mixed with waterproofer...? Surely it can't do the same
job a a plaster that us manufactured to be breathable...?
Also... Using board finish over limelite base? Are you honestly saying the limelite rep advised you to use a gypsum plaster straight over a lime base coat????????????? The only reason I ask I because the tech people at tarmac say whatever you do 'do NOT put gypsum over lime or vise versa.

I'm confused... Starting to think that these plaster co's are taking the (french word)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the people in sainsburys always say dont go to tescos

a solid stone wall breathing ???? thats like rocking horse s**t or England winning on penalties

or England winning ;D

haha tricky one now.. simple job 1000, of questions.. its timber floor timber sash window its upstairs the old backing coat would have been lime plaster.. dont no y they recomended limelite.. but far as i understand on a non cavity wall limelite will not be man enuf? were sand and cement woudl??

god nos.. ........... we need to find one of the plasters on here that does it ALL even makes his own tools that king lives in the woods... put the lime in lime.. skims a hour before lunch.. that sort he will help us all.

hey jambog,

welcome to PF.

In what way do you consider it a nightmare?
I reckon its ok, used it on loads of new build stone houses in the Peak Park.

Rock on !

When using the backing do u need to pva it before using the high impact lime or can u just go straight on top

Fucck me this post is 2 years old and you bumped it with the most pointless comment possible.

hardwall is gypsum based so no good for use on damp problems.
if they spec. limelite thats what they want and thats what the customer is paying for. do not go changing spec. or you will end up with all sorts of problems.

Beddy should I have not ask the question then ? or should I open a new post to ask the question lol ? Lol it might be pointless to u but not pointless to someone who doesn't know lol Malc I was on about using the renervating plaster. By Tarmac using the high impact finishing plaster for top . Anyone help would be great unless ur like beddy who does not agree with questions on old posts lol

so there is no damp, its a single skin wall, just use nhl 3.5 or putty lime plaster, it breaths and it will accomadate very slight movement, god i dont know why some people have to try and make things hard for us, just stick to the old ways they have been tried and tested for hundreds of years. o anything containing gypsum or cement does not breath.

I've read thru the thread I've got to tidy up a wall below a new window on a exterior wall as all lime backing coat plaster has fell off ,its a upstairs bedroom a old house with no cavity at all - sand and cement with waterproofer is still the cheapest option I take it ??

Worked with this when I was an apprentice. Its unforgiving this s**t. Two of the older spreads had to give up the game because they're hands were f**k*d after 12 months without gloves. It also has its own finishing plaster you can't use multi.