Old member returning with a controversial question

Members online

Bare with me cos im thick trying to process So i lay on with my 13" ss mt. Then i would flatten with a speed skim am i right? Plastic or steel? Is the whole moisture thing a myth and you can 2nd coat straight over with plastic 1st flatten??

Or would be still have to wait 10 or so mins if so then i flatten with a nela am i right so far?

Then i 2nd coat with ss mt and flatten again with speedy or nela... ok so this is where im confused again wet trowel stage would i finish now with a s*p*r*lex or a plastic? My head is baffled im probably making this sound alot harder than it is! Im sorry haha need more whisky.

Im going to drop a few quid on these tools because i need to try and see how the results are against the plain ole ss.

Hows it going you lot, i was a newbie to this forums and plastering in 2012 when i last posted here! To even say that seems like the last 7 years has just vanished, anyway simce 2012 i went on my own house bashing and stopped working on sites and i just stopped posting, tired/kids drink or whatever excise there was at the time.

Anyway glad to be back and getting into it again, ive got a question to ask though and its a controversial one so dont hate me i know theres "loads of info blah blah" i need to know if its relevant now?

So ive only been plastering 10 years out my time (3 years apprenty) and only used ss trowel for everything skimming wise. I lay on with a 13 inch mt and wet trowel and polish, am i behind the times?

A mate of mine who is still on site says alot of lads are laying on with steel flatting with a speed skim plastic second coating with steal and flattening in again but then with a plastic speed skim? Troweling off with a plastic trowel polish with a s*p*r*lex? He even said some lads are using a sponge after the second coat flatten!?

So can i ask a question, i just house bash now and out the click to see the finish of other lads, but why would you use all of these different trowells to do what an ss can do? And also.....why woul you f**k**g sponge your work after a 2nd coat flattening? Wouldnt that just undo all of your hard work or am i missing something? AND good to be back lads.
mate less tools the better handboard and a very very very Sharp trowel end of

mate less tools the better handboard and a very very very Sharp trowel end of
My heads battered trying to get round what size and type trowel to do what and when....i have 2 trowels one for skim one for render and floating up im way behind times lol

My heads battered trying to get round what size and type trowel to do what and when....i have 2 trowels one for skim one for render and floating up im way behind times lol
no mush u are in front, stop worrying and get it slap on dont thiNK to much JUST DO IT

Going back to my apprenticeship days the tradesmen had c7’s for browning etc and two trowels for skimming. One for putting on and flattening whilst wet and the second for troweling up which was razor sharp.

But only Tyzack back then so yer can see where the trowel for applying and plazi for polishing comes in, in the 21st century.

I am out of Plastering but render only but that is completely different to the 20th century way of applying what with machines, serrated edges, spats and plastic trowels. Makes it physically easier on the body.

Bare with me cos im thick trying to process So i lay on with my 13" ss mt. Then i would flatten with a speed skim am i right? Plastic or steel? Is the whole moisture thing a myth and you can 2nd coat straight over with plastic 1st flatten??

Or would be still have to wait 10 or so mins if so then i flatten with a nela am i right so far?

Then i 2nd coat with ss mt and flatten again with speedy or nela... ok so this is where im confused again wet trowel stage would i finish now with a s*p*r*lex or a plastic? My head is baffled im probably making this sound alot harder than it is! Im sorry haha need more whisky.

Im going to drop a few quid on these tools because i need to try and see how the results are against the plain ole ss.
I think it's just a case of horses for course's, some people get on with them some don't, there no right or wrong with what you use an how you do it as long as your comfortable, have messed about recently changing tactics as had a few f**k ups (stripes ripples) with plazi and super flex scared us off a bit, but that was down to my error in using them (trowel to open, using to early) but once you get timings angle right there awesome bit of kit, have just moved up to 16"Mt for laying on don't realise how much more ground you cover!

Keep the max and chuck that floppy slipper in the bin

E0F7CD85-25C1-4932-9B75-EDCAC6DCDDED.jpeg

I think it's just a case of horses for course's, some people get on with them some don't, there no right or wrong with what you use an how you do it as long as your comfortable, have messed about recently changing tactics as had a few f**k ups (stripes ripples) with plazi and super flex scared us off a bit, but that was down to my error in using them (trowel to open, using to early) but once you get timings angle right there awesome bit of kit, have just moved up to 16"Mt for laying on don't realise how much more ground you cover!
what about
they your missus shoes

Sponge is OK on reskims if you feel the wall will benefit. waste of time on board.

Steel trowel all the way will give you a better finish than all these flexis. Flexi will give you a even matt finish but compare the two finishes under close scrutiny the steel finish will always win. It looks worse when drying but it's closer to a perfect finish work that one out

Sponge is OK on reskims if you feel the wall will benefit. waste of time on board.

Steel trowel all the way will give you a better finish than all these flexis. Flexi will give you a even matt finish but compare the two finishes under close scrutiny the steel finish will always win. It looks worse when drying but it's closer to a perfect finish work that one out

I find plastic finish is far better. It’s just a ballache to keep the trowels nick n scratch free.

Also much quicker. I can pretty much finish a gauge with plastic that I’d still be waiting on to use steel

I find plastic finish is far better. It’s just a ballache to keep the trowels nick n scratch free.

Also much quicker. I can pretty much finish a gauge with plastic that I’d still be waiting on to use steel

I like plastic but it's hard enough keeping flexis nick free. I don't look after my tools the best to be fair

I like plastic but it's hard enough keeping flexis nick free. I don't look after my tools the best to be fair

I try too but it’s hard. Did this artex lid other day that’s multi n bonding to cover pattern. Flatten with 600 speedskim. Then knocked up really thin multi. Put 2 thin coats on with that. Flatten with speedy600. Straight over with plazi and 0 pressure to fill any bits. Left it. Crossed with nelamax done.

Id bet theres not a single mark on that . Flat as witches tit. I’ll be back mid July to do other rooms so will see it painted too.

7CD2EAC3-F4AF-4618-AC7B-BE0711DF5D12.jpeg

I try too but it’s hard. Did this artex lid other day that’s multi n bonding to cover pattern. Flatten with 600 speedskim. Then knocked up really thin multi. Put 2 thin coats on with that. Flatten with speedy600. Straight over with plazi and 0 pressure to fill any bits. Left it. Crossed with nelamax done.

Id bet theres not a single mark on that . Flat as witches tit. I’ll be back mid July to do other rooms so will see it painted too.

View attachment 36333
What model speedskim you got? 600 steel or plastic? Is 600 enough for bigger lids? Or if i was to get one speedskim to try would 1.2 be better?

Also what plastic trowel you got lurpak can you send a link? And does it need worn in like my 2 ss mt's? same goes for a nelamax do they need worn in to crosstrowel or csn you just get them straight on?