Rates going back 20 years??

Members online

taylorhendersonplastering

i was having a debate today when someone told me that they were float and setting for £3 m2 twenty years ago??
As far as I can remember rates were never that bad ??
£3 a mete float and set???
Any takers??

Im coming up to nearly 30 years in the the trade.
And in that time 1.20 a mtr for skim and 3.45 a mtr for float and set have been the worst rates I've ever been offered.
Fortunately I was in a position I could laugh and hang the phone up but some mad fcukers must of been prepared to graft for it.

I'll do it for that money, but then I should have 4bed for £36k, monthly spendings £300 etc. I think I can live with that

Nice to come a
And in that time 1.20 a mtr for skim and 3.45 a mtr for float and set have been the worst rates I've ever been offered.
Fortunately I was in a position I could laugh and hang the phone up but some mad fcukers must of been prepared to graft for it.
Nice to come across a man who knows his game not many of us left out there..
I have no idea if even the rate offered was that s**t why the f**k some iddiot would want to kill there self purely for some one else’s greed??

i was having a debate today when someone told me that they were float and setting for £3 m2 twenty years ago??
Any takers??

that must be a mix up i was getting £9 in and around london 20 years ago .... £6.50 up north now where i live.
firms try it on @£5.
my old gaffa was paying £3 on tack back then down south.
no one can float at them rates.

It was no mix up m8 I have a good memory for a plasterer ;)
I told him the same no one can float for that but he said that’s the prices he worked for??
Would it of been worth going to work??:(

I seem to vaguely remember it was way more than that but I only started 18 years ago think float and set was around 8-9.50 and the blokes always got paid for over height work think anything over 3.2m don’t take that as gospel but think was around that then once recession kicked in many Plasterer’s refused the float and set Work as was about 5.50 a mc2 and skimming was 2.20 even heard stories of some firms like big boys bdl and Stanmore paying 1.80 for skimming

Always makes me laugh when you hear the sob stories from bosses no money on job lucky if I break even I priced this ages ago so have to do on them rates so can’t put rates up yet funny as a company they get bigger and more office staff appear supervisors the odd new van boss buys a brand new car but says oh it’s a company car

Any takers??

I had a call from a qs last year offering work , his words " I've got Plasterers all over this job, best I can pay is £4.50 a metre , hardwall and skim"
I politely declined

the rates were a lot better in 2008/09 for me... and to be honest they are coming back up again down our way... enough for me to consider getting my tools out till it all goes to shite again...

Bang on, he tried to sell it to me "there's loads of big walls , hundreds of metres ready" 3.60 a metre after tax.
I got offered a load of floating at a good rate a while back I turned up and he said these are walls I said where is plaster he went there a pallet of bonding I said nah your alright it was all thermalites and Just had oak doors fitted so I walked away from that

As I said that was the prices .why would it need to talk shite . Fuk me day work was£60 a day 20 years ago so in London firms were paying £9 a 5mtr. Doubt it mate I can do around 35 5mtr on me own float and skim .
So 20 year ago if I went to London I'd be o n nearly £300 day ha ha ha b*ll***s . It's only a fiver now ffs

I had a call from a qs last year offering work , his words " I've got Plasterers all over this job, best I can pay is £4.50 a metre , hardwall and skim"
I politely declined
So last year you was offered 4.50 . That's why it's was only 3 quid 20 years ago .fuk me you could het pissed 0n a tenner

As I said that was the prices .why would it need to talk shite . Fuk me day work was£60 a day 20 years ago so in London firms were paying £9 a 5mtr. Doubt it mate I can do around 35 5mtr on me own float and skim .
So 20 year ago if I went to London I'd be o n nearly £300 day ha ha ha b*ll***s . It's only a fiver now ffs
Lol day work £60 a day??
f**k knows who you have been working for but I’ve never worked for a s**t rate like that m8??
Like I said manchester must be cut throat at those rates??

the rates were a lot better in 2008/09 for me... and to be honest they are coming back up again down our way... enough for me to consider getting my tools out till it all goes to shite again...
If you do start up again I might be willing to lend you that Dewalt mixer you're going to give me.
I'm generous like that.

2018 labour rates should of gone up with house prices.
greed at the top as usuall.
Of course m8 we live in a world of greed..
It’s a pecking order my man and we are at the bottom of that pecking order..
Sad but true ..
The trade is under rated big time..
Sparks..chips..Plumbler’s would def not work for under what they are worth..
Plasterers have always been at the bottom of the pile you are right 2018 house prices going through the roof..everything rises every year all but prices for the job we all do to feed our families and pay the bills..nothing will ever change but the crazy bastards working for these piss poor rates are not helping things improve for the future generation..FACT

I.ve just gave me sen a pay rise. Told one of main builders I work for it was going up at xmas just gone. He said just put it up now. Did first bit of work for him last week . Not giving anymore pay rises he had me chucking tons on . I even got blisters first time since forever

that must be a mix up i was getting £9 in and around london 20 years ago .... £6.50 up north now where i live.
firms try it on @£5.
my old gaffa was paying £3 on tack back then down south.
no one can float at them rates.
It's still f**k**g 9 quid in London and people say it's good money. Unreal

Lucky you..I’ve been having a debate with a geezer who was working for £3 a m2 float and set that was twenty years ago he said..
I think he’s getting £3.25 a m2 these days;)
I'm not lucky, only people lucky these days who take the job on direct, subbing rates are dire.
I rather do it free that will teach them

I'm not lucky, only people lucky these days who take the job on direct, subbing rates are dire.
I rather do it free that will teach them
You are lucky m8 believe me..
When you are floating next for £9 a m2 stop and have a minutes silence for all the poor bastards working for a lot less..;)
I’m just not sure if these northern boys are getting my sense of humour..bad me...

You are lucky m8 believe me..
When you are floating next for £9 a m2 stop and have a minutes silence for all the poor bastards working for a lot less..;)
I’m just not sure if these northern boys are getting my sense of humour..bad me...
Only floating I wish to do is in a swimming pool, in a far away warm country