Selfbuilder in Dorest Tech Question on Plasterboard

I think that 15mm Duplex is such an unusual spec that they only make the tapered edge as it can be used for both.
We don't do site work nowadays, just one offs as a rule.
Thanks for that, did stop site work because of health and safety or prices or just thought f**k it? I stopped because of health and safety still do houses but not where they are strict

I'm old enough to remember nailing ceilings up. The top of my head is still flat from that. Absolute bstard of a job.

Out of interest, gentlemen, how many of you use an ordinary screwgun and how many use the belty thing?
Collated pays for itself. Much quicker

Thanks for that, did stop site work because of health and safety or prices or just thought f**k it? I stopped because of health and safety still do houses but not where they are strict

Same here. Can’t be doing with all the H&S b*ll***s. Most of my work is one offs and small developers/builders. Get the rates I want, wear shorts, music blasting out, hi-vis occasionally, and paid promptly. If a few noggins need putting in, I just do it. No running to the site agent crying about stuff, worrying that it’ll cost me a quid or two by doing it. I’ll help load out boards or do it myself if there’s no one about to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all.
I think you have all exhausted that topic.
I conclude 12.5mm square edge is acceptable, with no gaps, screwed into noggins or joists every 6" with 38mm screws that penetrate the paper but not the board.
I can now start to put some up with confidence.

PS As a serious self builder you must have the right tools all part of my budget.
For this job I have a lifter and collated drill.
All to be sold on when I move in!!!!!.

Thanks all.
I conclude 12.5mm square edge is acceptable, with no gaps, screwed into noggins or joists every 6" with 38mm screws that penetrate the paper but not the board.

PS As a serious self builder you must have the right tools all part of my budget.

Wotchoo know of dabbing?

Thanks all.

One word of warning; if you have bought one of the cheap Chinese made board lifters be very careful.
They have a habit of not lasting too long sometimes and when they 'go' it's quite frightening.
If you've bought a quality one then they're worth their weight in gold.

One word of warning; if you have bought one of the cheap Chinese made board lifters be very careful.
They have a habit of not lasting too long sometimes and when they 'go' it's quite frightening.
If you've bought a quality one then they're worth their weight in gold.
I just use my son and a couple of roof batten dead men

Thanks all.

Don’t forget to stagger the joints and board across the joists

We bought a really good quality board lifter, it's the only thing that keeps me being able to tack. Unbeatable on high ceilings.
I have been looking and seen them for about eight hundred but that’s a all singing all dancing one, refina just take the piss but to be honest when the boy throws them around like he should do at his age I don’t want to deprive him of the fun and experience

I have been looking and seen them for about eight hundred but that’s a all singing all dancing one, refina just take the piss but to be honest when the boy throws them around like he should do at his age I don’t want to deprive him of the fun and experience
Yeah we bought one that Refina used to sell, I don't think they do now, we didn't buy it through them though. It's worth the £800 to us.

Yeah we bought one that Refina used to sell, I don't think they do now, we didn't buy it through them though. It's worth the £800 to us.
To be serious it would be to us too, I may have to splash some shekels out on one, I think refina want 1200 quid now and I know you can get similar for eight hundred and just as good if not better quality

Into timber joists its 6 screws per joist. Screws 20mm longer than plasterboard being used.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171227-232351.png
    Screenshot_20171227-232351.png
    478.6 KB · Views: 179
we use collated screw guns, with course thread screws for timber, fine thread screws for metal stud.