sponge floats on multifinnish

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i sponge i have the sponge in one hand and trowel in the other. For best results don't sponge whole walls, trowel as you go.

is this debate still going on, this was my post in 2008 on this site

ok I am new to this site but been a spread for 35 years, but you will not see many plasterers on new board work (in today's world) putting 2 coats on if they are on bonus work, I can get a wall perfect on new work with 1 coat so why use 2? mind u this is with knauf plasterer, on reskims u need 2 coats, and i don't recommend knauf for reskims

as for 1 coat sponge users, the idea of the sponge is to make life easier for u its used like this, 1st coat up, 1 trowel up, 1sponge up, 1 trowel, and usually just a hard trowel to finish, anyone that can use a sponge correctly will tell u it can save 1 trowel up but more to the point saves stress on the forearm on the up stroke, which leads to tennis elbow the ultimate disabler for plasterers, if u get tennis elbow bad, u are in real trouble. so as I said the sponge is to make life easier for u, and as for the finish job, if u know what u are doing its as good as any other,

now I can add to make life even more easier, get a speedskim, best invention since the bike cog

and this was my post in 2012'

still get a good laugh at reading some of these posts on the forum, the old trowel finish v sponge finish, I find it hard to believe there are still some plasterers out there that dont like the sponge or wont use it, but I know plenty of very good spreads that wont use it, but the sponge wins almost every time for me, the only time it does not win for me is when its used on knauf skimming, or in very small areas, pipes plugs where you cannot get the sponge in

For people that want to get into using a sponge dont forget there are generally 2 kinds of sponges, 1 rough and 1smooth I use them in different ways

when working alone I would knock one bag to one and half bag mix of multi on a re skim, this for me is usually comfortable,I would 2 coat and use the smooth sponge, the difference is the smooth or finishing sponge, tightens the skimming in better,but it takes longer to rub up,and this sets it faster, and in my case I can get away with 1 less trowel if I wanted to

now for the rough sponge, I use this when putting a bigger batch on, that is one and a half to a two bag mix of multi,this is my max, still like to 2 coat, get two thirds on on as quick as possible then rough sponge, then get the other third on, it can be sponged very quick using the rough sponge, and this seems to hold the skimming back giving me plenty of time to get over the bigger batch, it works fine for me

as for the better job, if your a good plasterer there should be no difference, trowel finish or sponge finish, 1 coat or 2 makes no difference the 1 or 2 coat in my case is only down to setting times its just I prefer to 2 coat, well really its just one coat and a lay in 80% of the time to make life a little easier nowadays, 10 years ago it would have been 1 coat 80% of the time

it comes down to, for me, the sponge can knock 1 hour off a 6 or 7 hour room, less stress on the elbow, and just makes skimming that little bit easier

real time comment, I need to find a way to 1 coat, with speedskim and float,can it be done to a high standard? any one doing it?

I think for that you need to jump to using a spat if you want to keep your batches big.

@North_East_spread

What sponges do you use and how long do you find they last?

Whilst really looking after them I've found I get 6 months from the rough one using on plaster only. The wickes type.

bobski,
I dont use a sponge all the time, and don't bother with the fine sponge's any more, I like the rough one now, a lot easier to rub up with, had a few over the years, had the last one @9 months or so, but its about had it, I get mine from Jewsons 300 x 120 great when they are cleaned properly, but as you will know, if you get greedy and put too much gear on they fck up very easy

brandon lol

Plastering on sites changed so much last 10 years lads have been forced into adapting to speed and time scales.
all manufactured tools out now to progress it on.
me personally ...i think the games gone shite mate.
Bang on bruvva - you squeeze our money , we'll squeeze the plaster

and this was my post in 2012'

still get a good laugh at reading some of these posts on the forum, the old trowel finish v sponge finish, I find it hard to believe there are still some plasterers out there that dont like the sponge or wont use it, but I know plenty of very good spreads that wont use it, but the sponge wins almost every time for me, the only time it does not win for me is when its used on knauf skimming, or in very small areas, pipes plugs where you cannot get the sponge in

For people that want to get into using a sponge dont forget there are generally 2 kinds of sponges, 1 rough and 1smooth I use them in different ways

when working alone I would knock one bag to one and half bag mix of multi on a re skim, this for me is usually comfortable,I would 2 coat and use the smooth sponge, the difference is the smooth or finishing sponge, tightens the skimming in better,but it takes longer to rub up,and this sets it faster, and in my case I can get away with 1 less trowel if I wanted to

now for the rough sponge, I use this when putting a bigger batch on, that is one and a half to a two bag mix of multi,this is my max, still like to 2 coat, get two thirds on on as quick as possible then rough sponge, then get the other third on, it can be sponged very quick using the rough sponge, and this seems to hold the skimming back giving me plenty of time to get over the bigger batch, it works fine for me

as for the better job, if your a good plasterer there should be no difference, trowel finish or sponge finish, 1 coat or 2 makes no difference the 1 or 2 coat in my case is only down to setting times its just I prefer to 2 coat, well really its just one coat and a lay in 80% of the time to make life a little easier nowadays, 10 years ago it would have been 1 coat 80% of the time

it comes down to, for me, the sponge can knock 1 hour off a 6 or 7 hour room, less stress on the elbow, and just makes skimming that little bit easier

real time comment, I need to find a way to 1 coat, with speedskim and float,can it be done to a high standard? any one doing it?
I'm gonna throw up

I've only ever saw 2 lads use a sponge on multi, and their work was s**t.

Make of that what you will, It's a cope out and always will be. Do it properly or don't at all IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.