U got lab

The difference is a labourer or an apprentice. a labourer you pay the going rate, an apprentice you pay as such. I have trained loads over the years, labourers that have been bums labourers that have progressed on the tools, my right hand man at work started as a labourer, now he runs my operation whilst I’m on holiday etc. I’ve alwayes paid labourers a proper wage, if you have a need for a labourer then the monies there.

Ok so what does everyone call the ‘going rate’ for a labourer then?? And yes I did just say that!! Pffffttt!!!!

Labourers are ok if your floating or rendering all the time . Other than that 2 spreads can cope quite easily . If you need a shove on board I g on a domestic etching any old plant pot will do from the boozer

I’ve had countless labourers over the years and I’ve had to baby sit every bloody one. I much prefer working on my Tod now, it’s much easier to please yourself and the gear comes just how you want it too! Lol

I.d have a labourer all time . I.ll give em 50 a day . That's to fetch carry and clean basically. Then if they show potential you can go from there

No knocking up???
They get water ready I.ll just hold mixer then they clean buckets. It mainly me and lad . But if I can price it in to job i think 50 quid saves you a hour at end of day having someone to tidy and put tools away . Though I.ve become a lazy fat t**t last few years so rather someone else do it.
But to be fair i.m only giving lad 90 and he does it all anyway and can skim lol .
I do like company on job and think sometime I price to take certain mates just so we can have crack lol

The last labourer we had fell asleep half was through his breakfast in the cafe.how the fuk do you manage that 1 .lol

We took one kid who comes across thick as f**k . Calls s**t different names like Makita he.ll call mackata. Think he does it for laugh. Everything he gets asked to do he does it right though . So we tried him mixing. Did 7 or 8 bags and every one was cock on

We used to bring that lad just to laugh our b*ll***s of at the s**t he came out with all day .

Prima Donnas are rife in the plastering trade. We all had to start from somewhere.
I used to lab for people that didn't want to pass on knowledge, probably out of fear that I would be potential competition for them if I progressed.
At the same time they would moan how knowledge is lost with past generations and how the only way to learn is on the tools.

I think this mainly comes about from plastering being like an art and becomes very personalised.

They get water ready I.ll just hold mixer then they clean buckets. It mainly me and lad . But if I can price it in to job i think 50 quid saves you a hour at end of day having someone to tidy and put tools away . Though I.ve become a lazy fat t**t last few years so rather someone else do it.
But to be fair i.m only giving lad 90 and he does it all anyway and can skim lol .
I do like company on job and think sometime I price to take certain mates just so we can have crack lol
How messy are you? Lol.
I’ve paid and took people before just for the company really but I do find they only talk s**t all day and really don’t need them, they end up getting in the way.

Reactions: Djr
How messy are you? Lol.
I’ve paid and took people before just for the company really but I do find they only talk s**t all day and really don’t need them, they end up getting in the way.
I.m as messy as the job . If its a new build its like a quarry when were done . If it a ceiling in a furnished room it be spotless

Interesting..

To be honest, my mind was mate up on labourers being useless f**k**s. And I’m much more efficient alone as have developed a system to do all my own labouring between skimming. For the most part, a labourer would slow me down as I’d be babysitting. So I’d just use a joey as and when needed for donkey work.

However, after seeing this kid graft on day 1 I was very impressed. A few other things I noticed in this 2 weeks is that he actually wants to help. For example, I was troweling up and he’d cleaned buckets etc so i said go have a fag and chill for a little bit. He had a fag and 2 mins later was clearing the other rooms ready. I know that isn’t anything special but he’s the first one to not take the piss.

It’s also been a good laugh and he hasn’t minded some of the days been long. I’ve just finished 1 of 3 hmo builds but I’ve got other small jobs on so I’m dropping him off in mornings at the other 2 houses to prep, rip skirting off strip wallpaper etc. So he is saving me time.

Will see how it goes...

Paying a good wage. Apprentices are paid £50 a week and work for sparks and gas and they go on to earn £1000 a day. So it’s nothing to do with low payment.

Also it’s not like you suprise them on payday. They know what they’re getting paid before they start
A grand a day get to f**k

Think i would like a keen school leavers. Prob be oldest son. He says he doesn't want to do it and I don't want any of my kids on trowel but way he.s going I don't think he has a choice

You read about one guy for Pimlico plumbers who is on about 120 grand a year he is on callout all the time their callout charge is about 300 quid

You read about one guy for Pimlico plumbers who is on about 120 grand a year he is on callout all the time their callout charge is about 300 quid

On a job at xmas speaking to a gas who was on the same job doing a like for like boiler change. Took em 4 hours, 2 of em. I know the customer well and she paid £5500. They left there to do another one same day.

Why are people so upset that people earn big money