Wage gap closing between skilled and unskilled

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeD

Private Member
Do you think we will be able to push our wages up over the next few years?...it makes me sick to think someone stacking shelves in Asda is going to be on £9.00 an hour in a few years time...when there will be some spreads running there own businesses on not much more...

Do you think we will be able to push our wages up over the next few years?...it makes me sick to think someone stacking shelves in Asda is going to be on £9.00 an hour in a few years time...when there will be some spreads running there own businesses on not much more...
It's down to them spreads isn't it? If they stupid enough to graft for that sort of money, what can you do? Can't fix stupid

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Agencies are screwing us, with this umbrella companies sorting wages. I'd never work for these arses. They are just a modern version of the middle man who finds the work. Plastering contractors need to stop using them, especially when the agencies know sh#t about our job.

it all depends what quality of service you offer. the price you give is for the service that you offer.

I reckon there is going to be a big increase in blackmarket and this will kill the companies with overheads that have to pay these higher wages.

There's already a shortage of labourers and some trades on a Thursday. Sign on time

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

example. tried pushing my rates up. only 50p a metre and builders are still having none of it. even though subbies we use demanding more as they dont need the work as there so much about.
its getting close to saying no point being a contractor.
let alone trying to get 60quid a day day rate for a labourer.

had a plumber on a job of mine. i rang over 8 plumbers all were saying 200 day rate. why do we get laughed at for anything 150.and above

You miserable b*****d, someone stacking the shelves earning £9 an hour working an 8hr shift will earn £72 for that day and you begrudge them that, I think that ranks amongst the most shocking things I've read on here.

f**k me you was earning 300 a day a few months back
What you on about?

I reckon there is going to be a big increase in blackmarket and this will kill the companies with overheads that have to pay these higher wages.

to make a profit at plastering you either have to be very small, a 2 man band or have a very large workforce of 100 or more. other set ups are a waste of time.

example. tried pushing my rates up. only 50p a metre and builders are still having none of it. even though subbies we use demanding more as they dont need the work as there so much about.
its getting close to saying no point being a contractor.
let alone trying to get 60quid a day day rate for a labourer.

had a plumber on a job of mine. i rang over 8 plumbers all were saying 200 day rate. why do we get laughed at for anything 150.and above
Plasterers are their own worst enemies,all the plumbers you rang wanted good money whereas there's always an element in our game who drag it down therefore creating a benchmark for the trade.I said it here before the biggest problem I have is lads on the dole working for beer money.I would'nt mind if they charged top dollar buts that the mentality.

to make a profit at plastering you either have to be very small, a 2 man band or have a very large workforce of 100 or more. other set ups are a waste of time.
There are 7 of us on most of the time
We do ok.
That free d has only been qualified 7 years so is still shitting yellow

After watching a good game of Rugby ,you lot are dome and gloom !lol ,charge what you like ,the better you are the higher it gets ,simple as that !.......wait for it ...

There are 7 of us on most of the time
We do ok.
That free d has only been qualified 7 years so is still shitting yellow

i was talking about my own experience. there are a dozen members of my family plastering, it is hard work when we all work together on a large contract to make a profit. i end up running the contract , with everyones problems from start to finish. then i have to cover everyones wages.
when we work in pairs we make a profit every week with less effort.
a large company can charge extra as the big time building contractor who needs a large number of tackers, plasterers, screeders on monday know there is only a few firms that they can turn to.

You miserable b*****d, someone stacking the shelves earning £9 an hour working an 8hr shift will earn £72 for that day and you begrudge them that, I think that ranks amongst the most shocking things I've read on here.

lol

Been a plasterer for 30 years nearly always earned good money,prices these days are pretty good. If somebody offers me a s**t rate I tell them to shove it up they're arse and there isn't a shortage of labour there's a shortage of cheap labour because if someone is offering decent rates they don't have a problem getting the men to do it

Half agree ! There Bobby but gold I doubt it but if your good enough you won't be moaning .

Not sure why everyone is getting so upset about it, I wasn't berudging people who are unskilled or complaining about my situation, more just discussing what every other business is talking about...the margins are getting tighter and tighter fact

If your used to £300 a week youl spend it a certain way.
If your on a grand a week youl do the same
And if your loaded its still the same.

There are well off shiit spreads
And skint great spreads.

Not sure why everyone is getting so upset about it, I wasn't berudging people who are unskilled or complaining about my situation, more just discussing what every other business is talking about...the margins are getting tighter and tighter fact
Wage gap closing between skilled and unskilled

Bull s**t

Your still learning the trade and not really sure what your doing

Your still learning the trade and not really sure what your doing

To be fair though Bobby you to ask some very simple technical questions, that even some coursers would know the answer to, and that Ashlar job you did, you had to get a local spread in to show you how to do it as you didn't have a f**king clue, you should credit him on the photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.