Poor Plasterers

Yes you are right mrs Jones will probably not want a lounge skimmed because of the extra £1 on the cost of plaster lol. Let’s not be silly about this
So say you price a living room at £500, would you price it at £502 once the price change comes into affect? Course you wouldn't, you absorb it.

I flirt between 3 different merchants all year round , said it before they all try to rip me off each time I go in , but like Rossi says if you are on it like a car bonnet with them you can get good prices even as a pay as you go account , I’d bet Gordon a new mt supaflex that next year wickes and b and q will be at least 20-30 % more expensive than merchants on all plaster products maybe even 40%

I flirt between 3 different merchants all year round , said it before they all try to rip me off each time I go in , but like Rossi says if you are on it like a car bonnet with them you can get good prices even as a pay as you go account , I’d bet Gordon a new mt supaflex that next year wickes and b and q will be at least 20-30 % more expensive than merchants on all plaster products maybe even 40%

Why would they do that?

The only reason we use them and load our own trolleys up etc is because there cheaper than merchants!!!

So say you price a living room at £500, would you price it at £502 once the price change comes into affect? Course you wouldn't, you absorb it.

I’m not absorbing anything I am charging my labour plus costs plus materials lol. Not entirely sure what you boys are struggling with lol

Last edited:

Says the man who said uni is a game changer, says the man who championed the bg scheme all failures.

Why would they do that?

The only reason we use them and load our own trolleys up etc is because there cheaper than merchants!!!
Tbh I don’t know why , I’m only small fry in terms of buying materials but I’m always on it keeping note of cost of basics , it’s happened already and the penny has dropped for me , tbh my op I was saying to my cousin what’s the big deal but then when I checked all cost comparisons that’s when it became clear , multi is just an example £5.50 merchants £6.20 b and q
Beads 50p to £1 merchants, £2 b and q
Dry wall £7.50 merchants, £10 b and q
Scrimtape £3/4 merchants £7 b and q
Never mind mf, soundblock , fireline, acoustic roll and insulation, pir boards, even a bag of magnetic is near on £100 at b and q and £66 at merchants

Tbh I don’t know why , I’m only small fry in terms of buying materials but I’m always on it keeping note of cost of basics , it’s happened already and the penny has dropped for me , tbh my op I was saying to my cousin what’s the big deal but then when I checked all cost comparisons that’s when it became clear , multi is just an example £5.50 merchants £6.20 b and q
Beads 50p to £1 merchants, £2 b and q
Dry wall £7.50 merchants, £10 b and q

Never mind mf, soundblock , fireline, acoustic roll, pir boards, even a bag of magnetic is near on £100 at b and q and £66 at merchants

DON'T BUY FROM BQ!!!!!!!!!

They have been off the price for years buy from wickes with your trade card!!!

They piss on merchants and just buy your beads/scrim off Google!

Funny thing is the price he posted up is 40p a bag more than my nearest b&q
Poor Plasterers

All the more reason to throw snips, tapes and knifes between bags. They rob us, we rob back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a lot of people go wrong on that. Fair few years now I given up on credit accounts. You may think it's cheap, then try go in with a wad of cash in your pocket or pay on the spot with any other means, cash will beat any credit account facilities and special offers. Merchants ain't stupid to float you for 30-60 days for free. The amount of times they try you on with different rates it's unbelievable. Yes it's convenient and easy, but uneconomical, you'll pay interest on that built into your pricing structure.

I use EH Smith for most gear now because they treat me pretty well. That said, I built up a relationship with them over time that started during the down-turn. I was spending money when they weren't shifting much gear so the reps/managers recognise that.

Out of interest I'll get a price off of them tomorrow for a bag of multi delivered and see what the difference is between what I pay and the sheds. I know for a fact that the timber prices I get from them are way cheaper than the sheds and jewsons etc.

I use EH Smith for most gear now because they treat me pretty well. That said, I built up a relationship with them over time that started during the down-turn. I was spending money when they weren't shifting much gear so the reps/managers recognise that.

Out of interest I'll get a price off of them tomorrow for a bag of multi delivered and see what the difference is between what I pay and the sheds. I know for a fact that the timber prices I get from them are way cheaper than the sheds and jewsons etc.
They're my go to merchants too funny enough. On my last week's order they knocked near 300 off of their quote after being on par with ccf.
They really good on timber.
I bought some 7.2m rafters from them not long ago, their price was half of TP and 150 less than local independent, delivered.
They always say we can't do this or that, because of the margin, then I just walk and get the stuff elsewhere, but as you say, they have good customer service.

They're my go to merchants too funny enough. On my last week's order they knocked near 300 off of their quote after being on par with ccf.
They really good on timber.
I bought some 7.2m rafters from them not long ago, their price was half of TP and 150 less than local independent, delivered.
They always say we can't do this or that, because of the margin, then I just walk and get the stuff elsewhere, but as you say, they have good customer service.

Depending on how you look at it, I'm getting lazier or using my time better because I just can't be 4rsed with ringing/running around for prices. I pretty much use Smiths for everything except the odd bits that they haven't got and consumables which I get from Screwfix.

Depending on how you look at it, I'm getting lazier or using my time better because I just can't be 4rsed with ringing/running around for prices. I pretty much use Smiths for everything except the odd bits that they haven't got and consumables which I get from Screwfix.
I'm pretty much the same.
Found a merchant that gives me good prices on the majority of items and looks after me.
I do price check regularly thought.

I still think plastering is the cheapest way to make money (trade wise)

Plaster is cheap and just adding water can earn..... plumbers need to buy copper or plastic or boilers

chippies need timber.... and a s**t tonne more tools than a plasterer does...

With a few tools and couple of bags of finish a plasterer can earn :D

Plaster is cheap and just adding water can earn..... plumbers need to buy copper or plastic or boilers

and joking apart, you can start out with a hatchback or estate car.

Ah but plumbers I know take chunks from scrap copper, lead, emertion tanks. You can easily get a couple a grand a year tax free from it plus the mark up on new boilers etc, same with sparks adding money to fixings etc.
Plasters can add bugger all really to bags of finish.we add a margin to render but not as much % as these boys.

So your quotes are £506 or £238.50 all depending what the materials are? Not £500 or £230

My quotes are spot on like that. I said earlier that I do day rate plus materiels plus 20%, then it is what it is.

In fact, I know people who just add a random amount to their price - 2 days @£150 plus £60 materiels (which is invariably a rounded up gestimate) plus a random drink, say £22. Price, £382.

The theory is that it looks more like a proper price and doesn't look like you've just rounded everything up to suit yourself. Whether it does or not is another matter. Mine would be £402 because I wouldn't round the materiels up to £60. The 20% covers that.

I'm pretty much the same.
Found a merchant that gives me good prices on the majority of items and looks after me.
I do price check regularly thought.
Agree,
It's building up a good relationship with your supplier over the years, and they'll look after you, I always go round the week before Christmas with a few bottles of whiskey for them(tax deductible of course, plus I claim the vat back) only problem with buying plaster is its a cartel and they own the market.

Ah but plumbers I know take chunks from scrap copper, lead, emertion tanks. You can easily get a couple a grand a year tax free from it plus the mark up on new boilers etc, same with sparks adding money to fixings etc.
Plasters can add bugger all really to bags of finish.we add a margin to render but not as much % as these boys.

The plumber I use left his swag on site earlier in the year so that he could add to it and take it all in his trailer at the end of the job. I asked him to shift it, he didn't and it was all where the shower room was going. Chucked the fcuking lot of it in the skip. When he was next there he asked where it was and I told him I'd skipped it. He huffed a bit and said it was his scrap, so I replied that I could have saved it and charged him £100 a day to store it and keep shifting it out of the way.

He wasn't happy, but learned his lesson about leaving sh1te on sites. (y) I hate working in mess.

The plumber I use left his swag on site earlier in the year so that he could add to it and take it all in his trailer at the end of the job. I asked him to shift it, he didn't and it was all where the shower room was going. Chucked the fcuking lot of it in the skip. When he was next there he asked where it was and I told him I'd skipped it. He huffed a bit and said it was his scrap, so I replied that I could have saved it and charged him £100 a day to store it and keep shifting it out of the way.

He wasn't happy, but learned his lesson about leaving sh1te on sites. (y) I hate working in mess.

Or you could have weighed it in yourself and told him you skipped it.

Up here for thinking, down there for dancing.

Lol every time I put a thin coat skim bead on inside my head I shout “Whoopie, that’s 50p I made “

There is profit in them tbf