Scud the blockwork

Members online

The biggest problem when doing float and set is when door linings are on the piss. Otherwise I find it pretty easy to get walls flat and plumb despite block work being bad because you set all your beads around windows and externals perfect and can rule off from them. I always check the internal corners with a level and all is good. But margins need to be looked at too because if something is pissed, like a door or a window opening in a narrow space and you make things plumb then it’s going to look s**t so you have to compromise and just line things up aesthetically so it looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok on day work I suppose, but not on a price. I started off floating like that many moons ago but I soon learned to master the art of ruling off and adjusted my method accordingly.
Def not on n. Irish rates, especially subby rates. Mate of mine said to give him a shout, boys they sub off have a ball. Of work on, but the prices are awful. 1.60-1.70 a square foot before tax ffs, float and skim. Not enough to consider that f**k sake. Likely 3bed executove houses, usually 9/10 tubs mortar to float them, and bond and skim ceilings. f**k that. Lol

The biggest problem when doing float and set is when door linings are on the piss. Otherwise I find it pretty easy to get walls flat and plumb despite block work being bad because you set all your beads around windows and externals perfect and can rule off from them. I always check the internal corners with a level and all is good. But margins need to be looked at too because if something is pissed, like a door or a window opening in a narrow space and you make things plumb then it’s going to look s**t so you have to compromise and just line things up aesthetically so it looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree, usually margin round windows and view beads and make sure they are straight, for lots of window frames seem buckled now on jobs we on, the straps seem to pull the frames out of shape, unless window is so bad plum them so can always say our work is right. And doorframes seem to be heavier than I remember this last while, seem to have heavy coats on both sides now. It's F*****g annoying

Don’t understand what your on about mate? I don’t give a s**t how bad the blockwork is? If u have the skills then u can make it straight!! Just take pride in your work that’s all. There was a time when it was the spreads job to get everything straight and plumb. Apparently not anymore by what some say on here!

ive s&c a lot of mace construction sports centres new build ..aberdeen doncaster and london.
swimming pool areas....can you imagine the size of the walls above these swimming pools in their gyms.
2 opposite walls in london and aberdeen had fancy tiny little tiles designs on them of dolphins !!
it had to be perfect.
we floated them 2 labs 3 spreads.

LADS construction ...baker street 1 huge bakery.. walls over 10m high.

armstrong construction new police station in barrow in furness again huge rendered walls.

not once did we put a level on our walls
not once was we pulled.

i dont take pride in plastering because its a dirty s**t life.

It's all ok chaps the plasterers will put it all right.

That fucks me off, agents etc checking work, telling of 2-3mm tolerance etc and then uve got door frames not lining through, block work looking like a blind man fired it up, and windows in off the plum, but they will go around and check ours. Go check the bastards before us too. Had a door wall yesterday over an inch over the first half the wall towards the frame, then hitting block then heavy again at the angle across the way. Crazy crazy bad building, and it's a massive private build.

Def not on n. Irish rates, especially subby rates. Mate of mine said to give him a shout, boys they sub off have a ball. Of work on, but the prices are awful. 1.60-1.70 a square foot before tax ffs, float and skim. Not enough to consider that f**k sake. Likely 3bed executove houses, usually 9/10 tubs mortar to float them, and bond and skim ceilings. f**k that. Lol
That works out to over £13.60 per square metre. You reckon that's too tight a price to do screeds, get it to a high standard and still make good money? You must be as slow as feck!

ive s&c a lot of mace construction sports centres new build ..aberdeen doncaster and london.
swimming pool areas....can you imagine the size of the walls above these swimming pools in their gyms.
2 opposite walls in london and aberdeen had fancy tiny little tiles designs on them of dolphins !!
it had to be perfect.

armstrong construction new police station in barrow in furness again huge rendered walls.

not once was we pulled.

I was liking that post right up to the point where you said that you don't take pride in plastering; because if turning out walls like those stated, you really should be proud, not many can do it.

How's the knees ? And the fishing
My knees have behaved themselves perfectly since I stopped wearing stilts cheers John. Recently did three days floor screeding on the bounce without even a twinge.
The lake has been a HUGE amount of work over the last two and a half years but it's all starting to come together. We've even got a wedding reception down there next summer.
How are you? I haven't read any tales of woe since my return, has everything straightened itself out?

That works out to over £13.60 per square metre. You reckon that's too tight a price to do screeds, get it to a high standard and still make good money? You must be as slow as feck!
Its measured my floor/ceiling space when the price is given by square foot. You'd be lucky 2 get 5-6 a metre float and set subbing here. I haven't asked for meterate rates in a while, I know a few years ago was 3 something float and skim. It's went up since obviously, so it's an estimate as the ones I have been with since didnt price by m2.

Last edited:
I was liking that post right up to the point where you said that you don't take pride in plastering; because if turning out walls like those stated, you really should be proud, not many can do it.

i think since i moved to the north west....i started to loose interest in plastering.
last 2 float jobs were a lift shaft on an office block centre of manchester.
6 floors up float finished for tiling £800.
and a block of flats in ulverston.
(flats dabbed hallway staircase's floated) @6 a metre. beaded around all doorways he wouldnt pay through doors.

the money here is tight.

2 firms up here ive had £8.50 a metre but not a run of work.

2 jobs i was sent on for 2 different firms walls were set up for dabbing not foating and still expected me to carry on !!
1 of the firms ordered 2 pallets of bonding !!

tight gits up here think £5a metre is a reasonble price !!

it had to be perfect.

not once was we pulled.

L
Its measured my floor/ceiling space when the price by square foot. You'd be lucky 2 get 5-6 a metre float and set subbing here.
That's pretty piss poor alright.
Better if you can walk measures really cos as we all know floor area can mean way different amounts of wall area.

I get more for just skimming. That' f**k*d up. They are sick in the head to work for that
I'd say u do mate. I worked for a boy for years and he was miserable and give really s**t rates to subbys but it was steady work throuhh the recession, but once things picked up first chance to leave took it. Fella was with after priced by working out how long it would take squad etc and fella I'm with now works out a price according to the sq footage. Obviously it changes depending how awkward it is etc. So I'm not a hundred percent sure what the meterate rate is tbh, if I do my own jobs I price by a good day rate by how many days I expect it to take me and throw a bit on top incase of hold ups etc

L

That's pretty piss poor alright.
Better if you can walk measures really cos as we all know floor area can mean way different amounts of wall area.

its gone pretty poor in the north west.....business men run plastering firms not plasterers.

i think since i moved to the north west....i started to loose interest in plastering.
last 2 float jobs were a lift shaft on an office block centre of manchester.
6 floors up float finished for tiling £800.
and a block of flats in ulverston.
(flats dabbed hallway staircase's floated) @6 a metre. beaded around all doorways he wouldnt pay through doors.

the money here is tight.

2 firms up here ive had £8.50 a metre but not a run of work.

2 jobs i was sent on for 2 different firms walls were set up for dabbing not foating and still expected me to carry on !!
1 of the firms ordered 2 pallets of bonding !!

tight gits up here think £5a metre is a reasonble price !!
When We were on site if we didn’t get paid for window or door returns we didn’t do them, used to let the day workers pick them up. I know it’s all different now that’s why we just do self builds and domestic

When We were on site if we didn’t get paid for window or door returns we didn’t do them, used to let the day workers pick them up. I know it’s all different now that’s why we just do self builds and domestic

this is why i stick to skimming on new build now ive lost interest in it all.

its gone pretty poor in the north west.....business men run plastering firms not plasterers.
Now its a few years ago now but the miserable fella I know, was paying a couple of subbys, was a father and son on their own about 800,(if memory serves me right 790) after tax, might even have been 690, can't remember, to float and skim 3bed houses. There was 9tubs of float in then and as a 2 and 1 on time for the man, we didn't take work on price, it took us Into the 5th day to finish them,took them best part of 2weeks. Pure dung that

Yea it's getting more and more that way over here too.
Boys with business degrees and then have a few codgers on day work for the shitty bits and then give out crazy prices.
Had one ringing lately wanting skimming done (over others sand and cement :envidioso)
In stairwells for €4 a metre. Guess where he got told to shovels his €4

Its measured my floor/ceiling space when the price is given by square foot. You'd be lucky 2 get 5-6 a metre float and set subbing here. I haven't asked for meterate rates in a while, I know a few years ago was 3 something float and skim. It's went up since obviously, so it's an estimate as the ones I have been with since didnt price by m2.
Floor area should have absolutely no bearing on the price of plastering walls, I just don't get that at all.
It sounds just like someones way of taking the piss to me, I've certainly never heard of it before.

Floor area should have absolutely no bearing on the price of plastering walls, I just don't get that at all.
It sounds just like someones way of taking the piss to me, I've certainly never heard of it before.
It probably shouldn't, but it's a handy way to work out a price rather than measuring every individual walls. 1000 sq foot house x your sq footage rate and you get your price. Done. Obviously u adjust sq footage price accordingly to the job,dwpending on awkwardness wall /ceiling height etc.

It probably shouldn't, but it's a handy way to work out a price rather than measuring every individual walls. 1000 sq foot house x your sq footage rate and you get your price. Done. Obviously u adjust sq footage price accordingly to the job,dwpending on awkwardness wall /ceiling height etc.
Plasterers that can't be bothered to measure every wall they're going to plaster, or maybe have plastered, is utter madness IMHO.

My knees have behaved themselves perfectly since I stopped wearing stilts cheers John. Recently did three days floor screeding on the bounce without even a twinge.
The lake has been a HUGE amount of work over the last two and a half years but it's all starting to come together. We've even got a wedding reception down there next summer.
How are you? I haven't read any tales of woe since my return, has everything straightened itself out?
Knees are seriously fukked , one needs replacing when I have the time ,the second one is quickly catching up, 8 co codamol a day keeps me oiled except on Sundays , some days I'm ok others I'm like an 95 year ol, best of luck with the lake , must be very therapeutic as well

Plasterers that can't be bothered to measure every wall they're going to plaster, or maybe have plastered, is utter madness IMHO.
Whatever works for u, couldn't really give a toss your opinion on it tbh, just explaining how it works. Adjust ur sq footage rate to suit and There shouldn't be any difference in end up if u set a m2 or sq footage rate

Whatever works for u, couldn't really give a toss your opinion on it tbh, just explaining how it works. Adjust ur sq footage rate to suit and There shouldn't be any difference in end up if u set a m2 or sq footage rate
I don't expect you to "give a toss" of my opinion but you moaned about your rate per square foot when, by your own admission, you don't even know what rate you're on.
My old man priced up by the yard or foot, but it was the area of the walls not the floor.
No offence meant.

I don't expect you to "give a toss" of my opinion but you moaned about your rate per square foot when, by your own admission, you don't even know what rate you're on.
My old man priced up by the yard or foot, but it was the area of the walls not the floor.
No offence meant.
I was sayin in general that rates here are pretty s**t. Mentioned the ones at 1.60 per square foot before tax that I am not interested in as it would be an absolute hogging match to make a wage at that, you thought that was including the walls. I know the rough sq footage rates I don't know the metrage rates. There's work going for 2 per sq foot, which would be easier to make a wage, but still not too hot. Most are 2.25 - 2.50 but u will only get that direct not subbing. Last metrage rates u heard was a few years ago and was less than 4 float and skim and mono was 7 labour only. But the c**t giving those rates was a miserable f**k*r. As I haven't worked with someone who prices my m in 2 and a half years, I don't know the current ones. Had heard said miserable f**k*r is offering 6 float and skim, which, for here isn't bad. Don't know if that's true or not.

Knees are seriously fukked , one needs replacing when I have the time ,the second one is quickly catching up, 8 co codamol a day keeps me oiled except on Sundays , some days I'm ok others I'm like an 95 year ol, best of luck with the lake , must be very therapeutic as well
Oh Jesus that's not good at all John.
I hope that you're going to get those knees sorted before it's too late mate. Easier said than done I know.
The lake is very therapeutic, in fact it's the only place I ever see my wife totally relaxed and she has no interest in fishing. She says that it'll extend our lives, I hope that she's right!

I hope that you're going to get those knees sorted before it's too late mate. Easier said than done I know.
The lake is very therapeutic, in fact it's the only place I ever see my wife totally relaxed and she has no interest in fishing. She says that it'll extend our lives, I hope that she's right!

I'm a mad match angler...i can honestly say that getting to the bank every Saturday keeps me sane...

Don't know what I'd do without my fishing...keeps my work & home life in check

I'm a mad match angler...i can honestly say that getting to the bank every Saturday keeps me sane...

Don't know what I'd do without my fishing...keeps my work & home life in check
I like sea fishing, great for the soul, very relaxing to just watch my float and breathe in the fresh sea air (y)

I think what you are doing is brilliant , keep it up. Top class,
I have other worries so I can’t stop working till I have to, dealing with neighbours from hell of the vexatious litigious kind ,very expensive