Sponges, spats,plazis and speed skims

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was all for using sponges and spats but it goes back to old school every time.
Got to be Marshalltown every time unless:
1. Its a big hit... 50m + lid then speedskim is good for flattening followed by 600 spat.
2. The walls are really uneven... then a nice thick coat followed by speedskim. Lovely.

No good on smaller areas because by the time you've looked after your angles you could have just flattened off with marshy anyway.
Gave my s*p*r*lex away they're sh1t. Too heavy and handles seem too fat.

Sponges are for if you cant handle how much you've put on. In other words you should never need one!

I'll try and find the thread if not ill maybe do a thread ask dan to make it a sticky. Is your trowel carbon or ss?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Firstly leave your carbon in a tray of vinegar overnight and they'll go jet black. Its called a forced patina. Thats hickys top tip. They won't rust anymore unless left wet.

Yeah Just get a big cheap bottle. It helps speed up the oxidation process

Remind me later I'll try and get a pic of ll my stones. They go up from 240grit waterstones to a piece of 12000grit welsh slate finished off with a strop and chromium oxide paste which is approximately 60000 grit. Literally sharp enough to shave with

Probably About an hour. Seriously geeky lol. I can do a small kitchen knife in about 20 mins. My japaneae santoku knife takes about 40 mins

Probably About an hour. Seriously geeky lol. I can do a small kitchen knife in about 20 mins. My japaneae santoku knife takes about 40 mins

Where did u buy ur stones from I'm just on ebay now and there seriously expensive gonna have to tell a few white lies to the missus haha

All on ebay mate. Get the stones which are two sided. Ive got one thats 240 and 800 (i think) then 2000-5000 (again i think). Then the slate then the strop

Do these stones use water as lubricant? do u have to soak them or sumat ? I need a good demo video on YouTube haha where's RWF0067's video when u need one haha

All of the watestones need soaking for 15mins. Welsh slate comes with a slurry stone so just wet them and rub it with the slurry stone. No need to soak. Then charge the strop with the chromium oxide on the rough side of the leather and just go one way o the strop. If you go back and forth like the stones youll cut the leather. Ive glued mine to a bit of 3x2

Oh and dont wipe the slurry off until youre finished with that particular stone. it helps hone the edge. let them all dry out before storing

If i get time tonight ill do a kitchen knife. Trowel method is exactly the same itll just take a bit lover

I cnt get my head around sum1 using a sponge for skimming..u rough bastards who ever uses a sponge haha f**k me

We used to do it that way until we seen wat it looks like wen its had a miscoat of paint and a light shines againt it..we speedskim flatten twice,1 trowel with mt then finish with a nela wen its gone

Decorator rang me last week asking if I minded him giving my number out, said best finish he's painted...must be doing something right.

Decorator rang me last week asking if I minded him giving my number out, said best finish he's painted...must be doing something right.
That dsnt mean anything lol..sponges rnt for skimming..ive never heard owt as stupid in my life in a plasterer using a sponge to skim

B
Mad innit

I use sponges to clean windows, skirting boards and my van
Its laugable plasterman..imagine wat it looks like wen the sun shines on it or owt..been on site 17 years and I've never seen any lad use a sponge as there wudnt let u on site foreman wud laugh u out of the building

That dsnt mean anything lol..sponges rnt for skimming..ive never heard owt as stupid in my life in a plasterer using a sponge to skim
Sponge???? Never used a sponge. I do use outdoor security floodlights when I'm working and am obsessed with flatness. Guess it depends who's hands the speedskim's in.

Sponge???? Never used a sponge. I do use outdoor security floodlights when I'm working and am obsessed with flatness. Guess it depends who's hands the speedskim's in.
Sorry pal wasn't you..just cudnt b arsed reading thru thread..im on about sponges I flatten with speedskim..apologies

Status
Not open for further replies.