Sponges, spats,plazis and speed skims

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a helmet who said he ran a new flexi through a normal knife sharpening block like this.
Sponges, spats,plazis and speed skims
reckoned that's how he'd always broke his trowels in :LOL:.
Im not sure of the outcome (well to be honest Im fairly sure he ruined it) but sadly he never posted a follow up.

beddy the waterstone guru ordered my self 3 double sided stones 240/800 2000/4000 6000/8000 didn't get a strop tho the well is dry at the moment
Got an old belt lying round? Just use the back of that

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

There was a helmet who said he ran a new flexi through a normal knife sharpening block like this.
View attachment 10662 reckoned that's how he'd always broke his trowels in :LOL:.
Im not sure of the outcome (well to be honest Im fairly sure he ruined it) but sadly he never posted a follow up.
They completely destroy knives so id hate to think what they did to something as thin as a SF

I thought you where over in UK too bigK. I hear ya about the ruff Knut's here too. Have seen some awful skimming but TBH, the clients where happy with it and dont notice it like we do.

Sure even last year, I was floating a 2 story garage and the fella needed it finished. With the rain we were getting I just didn't want to touch it until the walls were dry and didn't want no wash outs!

Anyhow, the client busted my balls to get it finished! I went at it when a part of the wall wouldn't dry. It was like an L shape garage, and the rain was penetrating the inside of the L shape for awhile. Rest of walls dried out apart from this corner. I finished it, the walls was perfect apart from this corner that just wouldn't dry. Ended up with a few small ripples about sqft, in this corner because of it. No one noticed it apart from me, but instead of walking away and saying FA, I mentioned it to the client. He ended up laughing at me and saying I was off my head because it was nothing and he didnt notice it and no one else would.

The moral of that situation, if the client is happy, that's all that matters. Still annoys me thou every time I look at it :(

In any housing estates in Ireland I've yet to see a skim stop bead used.
The bulk head as you come down a straight staircase?
Every one with a skim (mini mesh) bead twatted on and skimmed out to like a belcast on both sides.
Rough barstewards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In any housing estates in Ireland I've yet to see a skim stop bead used.
The bulk head as you come down a straight staircase?
Every one with a skim (mini mesh) bead twatted on and skimmed out to like a belcast on both sides.
Rough barstewards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure ya know what this country is like. Have seen some dodgy workmanship during that boom.

That boom and what happened after it.They were crazy times.

Yeah madness!
One thing while working during boom and before. I used to always ask my uncle(I mostly worked with him) what a recession was like because I'd never experienced one. I'm sorry I ever asked because when it came, by fcuk it came alright!

Received my order yesterday and TBH, there's 2 things I'm disappointed at. First one is myself, I have a pole that'll fit exactly into the clip, so no need to buy this new one! Once I seen it, I'd just remembered someone mentioning on here about same pole thst I have. Forgot all about it when ordering. Simple Simon wouldn't get a look in when I'm around I tell ya :loco:

Secondly, even thou the spat looks decent bit of kit. The blade cover is fcuking useless IMO and really let's it down. It won't stay on on its own like the speedskims. It'll only stay on and protect the blade if its tightend by a few elastic bands! Really disappointed at this!! There'll be plenty of messing about with this blade protection from now on and something that has left me scratching my head as to why they'd make such a draft thing and not use something like the speedskims protection.

@Plasterers1StopShop

Last edited:
Received my order yesterday and TBH, there's 2 things I'm disappointed at. First onevis myself, I have a pole that'll fit exactly into the clip so no need to buy this new one! Once I seen it, I'd just remembered someone mentioning on here about same pole I have fits it but forgot all about it when ordering.

Secondly, even thou the spat looks decent. The blade cover is fcuking useless IMO. It won't stay on on its own like the speedskims. It'll only stay on and protect the blade if its tightend by a few elastic bands! Really disappointed at this!! There'll be plenty of messing about with this blade protection from now on and something that has left me scratching my head as to why they'd make such a draft thing and not use something like the speedskims protection.
I guess your on about an eze spat?? I find thr blade protector pretty good even with the faff of the elastic bands. Im fairly confident once you use the spat all will be forgiven as they are bloody good pieces of kit. I have the 1m and the 600mm to be honest i only tend to use the 600 these days unless its a big ceiling.

I guess your on about an eze spat?? I find thr blade protector pretty good even with the faff of the elastic bands. Im fairly confident once you use the spat all will be forgiven as they are bloody good pieces of kit. I have the 1m and the 600mm to be honest i only tend to use the 600 these days unless its a big ceiling.

How can you find it good if it falls off. In fact, it doesn't even stay on at all unless you use elastic bands. Compare that to the speedskims and its night and day.

How can you find it good if it falls off. In fact, it doesn't even stay on at all unless you use elastic bands. Compare that to the speedskims and its night and day.
Mine doesnt fall offmate thats why. Speedskim are shite but i only used the early version of them

Mine doesnt fall offmate thats why. Speedskim are shite but i only used the early version of them

I'm talking about the blade protection. Speedskims blade protection are excellent. Nice tight fit. Eze spats, crap! If I turn my spat upside down, it comes off. I Dont know if I just received a faulty fuse but IMO, the 2 that I have here, they are night and day in comparison!

I'm talking about the blade protection. Speedskims blade protection are excellent. Nice tight fit. Eze spats, crap! If I turn my spat upside down, it comes off. I Dont know if I just received a faulty fuse but IMO, the 2 that I have here, they are night and day in comparison!
I know mate mine it a tight fit and no need for the elastic bands. Just one of those things? What size did you get?

Nope it's not just u my blade protect falls off aswell

The blade protector I got with the Eze a few years ago is just a piece of plastic that slides on the end of the blade nice and tight. Still got it, works well.

I'm guessing they changed it? dunno why.

All of the watestones need soaking for 15mins. Welsh slate comes with a slurry stone so just wet them and rub it with the slurry stone. No need to soak. Then charge the strop with the chromium oxide on the rough side of the leather and just go one way o the strop. If you go back and forth like the stones youll cut the leather. Ive glued mine to a bit of 3x2

Is the trowel good to go after this steve, or does it still tear a little bit at first?

It should be fine mate. The only bit may be if its a new trowel the shape won't have altered like it does with wear

When you make an knife sharp or hone it all you're effectively doing is polishing the blade edge. By working your way up through the grit you are removing the marks and scratches left by the last stone. The Welsh slate is no different and the leather strop and paste just give it a mirror finish and removed the lightest of the lightest scratches. Meaning you get the edge to its sharpest

Possibly mate. These stones fit in a box under the sink though lol

When you make an knife sharp or hone it all you're effectively doing is polishing the blade edge. By working your way up through the grit you are removing the marks and scratches left by the last stone. The Welsh slate is no different and the leather strop and paste just give it a mirror finish and removed the lightest of the lightest scratches. Meaning you get the edge to its sharpest

Makes sense. I knew about waterstones but never about the slate and leather.

Barbers always keep a strop close by. Used regularly you'd never need to hone again unless you got a dink in the edge

run a drop of boiling water over the protector to soften it then push it back on the spat and it should mould on

Agree with bigk, it's the fact that you can get straight on it with a speedskim. I flatten 2nd coat straight away with speedskim, then use s*p*r*lex with the water spray, then maybe another wet one with super and final dry trowel with speedskim. This final dry one with a speedskim is the best bit imo, quick and effortless, easy on the body. MT still in the van but haven't used it in about 18 months.

So are you saying youre set goes off quicker by flattning with speedskim sooner?. The basic setting time hasnt changed.

I've tried 2 things that I thought were worth trying to see if they give me a advantage

Sponge float, messy, rough, didn't really help in any situation in my opinion if you cant keep up with it dont lay it on.

And R plaziflex.

I swore by this for about 12 months, thought it was amazing.

I would lay on with my steel and flatten and finish with then plastic and thought it finished lovley, seemed to be effortless.

Then I done 3 renovations In a row each one needing more and more work on the skim to achieve a decent finish, with my relaxed (lazyer) approach from using the plastic trowel the final finish was getting worse and worse, it looked good but bumpy when painted.

I went through 6 plastic blades, always snagging them and sanding them blah blah blah.

On the 3rd house I used my trusty old Marshalltown start to finish and everything was perfect all the sets felt more manageable and the edges were square as hell.(the plastics had a tendency to mould to whatever shape it wanted to).

My conclusion you cant beat a steel trowel all these new things seem amazing at first but in the long run your steel will look after you.

I couldn't comment on speedskim as I've never used it.

That's my 2 pence anyway.

I had to read most of the posts to find out what these tools were, never heard of them other than the speed skim which I don't own, don't do as much plastering as I used to.

About time some new trowels came out..

When the hell is @Rossi46 tools ltd flex range being released

It's like waiting for new iPhone to come out

Status
Not open for further replies.