Sponges, spats,plazis and speed skims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry pal wasn't you..just cudnt b arsed reading thru thread..im on about sponges I flatten with speedskim..apologies
No worries . Guess a sponge is used for getting out of tight spots, normally stick a third coat on if I'm having a mare (stilts breaking mid hit, that sort of pleasure)

Never used a sponge on skimming it leaves the finish too soft. I do use a speed skim and a spat but mainly to keep up with the young lads revved up on protein shakes and red bull I'm sad as f**k with my flask of coffee and fags

I like the sponge for patching but that's as far as goes for me

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Never used a sponge on skimming it leaves the finish too soft. I do use a speed skim and a spat but mainly to keep up with the young lads revved up on protein shakes and red bull I'm sad as f**k with my flask of coffee and fags
We don't put more on just because we've got speedskim cant be arsed tbh we wud do 70m2 hits without a speedskim and 70m2 with a speedskim just gives us more Time to have a coffee etc

I like the sponge for patching but that's as far as goes for me

How do u use it zolco on patching? Is it to wipe away water marks or sumat? With patching we feather into existing with the trowel..i can imagine a sponge being ok on patch repair in wiping the dirty water marks away but that's about it

I cnt get my head around sum1 using a sponge for skimming..u rough bastards who ever uses a sponge haha f**k me

I'm the same! I've never heard of it until I joined this forum! Same for 1 coating! If tge guy who taught me to plaster seen me at this madness, he'd hit me a boot in the ballix and tell me to catch myself on lol

How do u use it zolco on patching? Is it to wipe away water marks or sumat? With patching we feather into existing with the trowel..i can imagine a sponge being ok on patch repair in wiping the dirty water marks away but that's about it
Just takes the excess off and cleans the edges up ready for last trowel that's it really ain't no magic wand

Last time I used a sponge was when I skimmed over a small piece of bonding that sucked the life out of a corner of my wall. Threw a sponge float over it, rubbed the fcuk out of it and brought her back. That's only what I've ever used sponges for and its very rare occasions.

Curious to know thou, why is it someone would use one anyway on normal hits?

Just takes the excess off and cleans the edges up ready for last trowel that's it really ain't no magic wand

Ye thought as much to take excess off round edges where patch meets existing to give a wipe down I can c a place for that but troweling or flattening or however cowboy Joe uses It to skim with is laughable..

I'm the same! I've never heard of it until I joined this forum! Same for 1 coating! If tge guy who taught me to plaster seen me at this madness, he'd hit me a boot in the ballix and tell me to catch myself on lol
First time I only heard it was on here..wonder y that is! Hhhmmmmmmmm

Last time I used a sponge was when I skimmed over a small piece of bonding that sucked the life out of a corner of my wall. Threw a sponge float over it, rubbed the fcuk out of it and brought her back. That's only what I've ever used sponges for and its very rare occasions.

Curious to know thou, why is it someone would use one anyway on normal hits?
Ya rough f**k*r!! Haha

Ye thought as much to take excess off round edges where patch meets existing to give a wipe down I can c a place for that but troweling or flattening or however cowboy Joe uses It to skim with is laughable..
I think @MikeAtthis done it before but I might be completely wrong.
If it works for the individual I got no problem with it

First time I only heard it was on here..wonder y that is! Hhhmmmmmmmm

I've admitted here on many occasions that I'm not a full time plasterer because I do a wide range of things. All I know is I'm decent enough and have worked with others squads that have called me back. Have never had no complaints but I'm starting to think I'd be a great plasterer across the big pond after seeing what gets mentioned in here lol.

I've admitted here on many occasions that I'm not a full time plasterer because I do a wide range of things. All I know is I'm decent enough and have worked with others squads that have called me back. Have never had no complaints but I'm starting to think I'd be a great plasterer across the big pond after seeing what gets mentioned in here lol.
Or there's plenty of s**t over here hail hail..u just stay wawy from any damp proofing jobs hehe

There's plenty of ruff cants over here too hail, worse than uk I'd say, certainly by population.
I've used a sponge float for skim also.
It has no place on normal skimming but is a handy thing to have if the stuff is on very deep for whatever reason, ie. Patching, re skims where wall is allover the place or upto a heavy doorframe. It stops it moving or sliding under the trowel when flattening.
Speedskim I've found are also decent in this area and has reduced the amount of times I've picked up a spongefloat in the above circumstances.
Don't knock it till you've tried it.
Remember Universal One Coat anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After using Beddys technique of sharpening waterstones on my carbon steels I don't think there is anything better (for me anyway) I did get the s*p*r*lex out the other day and used it on final pass, it is a cracking trowel I just have more faith in my carbons
Do you just use carbon for the last couple of trowels or last pass whats the difference instead of the s/flex lighter use ?

Nah don't really use the s/f anyway speedskim n m/t steel flat job so carbon Trowel lighter n less elbow ware?? :whistle:

There's plenty of ruff cants over here too hail, worse than uk I'd say, certainly by population.
I've used a sponge float for skim also.
It has no place on normal skimming but is a handy thing to have if the stuff is on very deep for whatever reason, ie. Patching, re skims where wall is allover the place or upto a heavy doorframe. It stops it moving or sliding under the trowel when flattening.
Speedskim I've found are also decent in this area and has reduced the amount of times I've picked up a spongefloat in the above circumstances.
Don't knock it till you've tried it.
Remember Universal One Coat anyone?

I thought you where over in UK too bigK. I hear ya about the ruff Knut's here too. Have seen some awful skimming but TBH, the clients where happy with it and dont notice it like we do.

Sure even last year, I was floating a 2 story garage and the fella needed it finished. With the rain we were getting I just didn't want to touch it until the walls were dry and didn't want no wash outs!

Anyhow, the client busted my balls to get it finished! I went at it when a part of the wall wouldn't dry. It was like an L shape garage, and the rain was penetrating the inside of the L shape for awhile. Rest of walls dried out apart from this corner. I finished it, the walls was perfect apart from this corner that just wouldn't dry. Ended up with a few small ripples about sqft, in this corner because of it. No one noticed it apart from me, but instead of walking away and saying FA, I mentioned it to the client. He ended up laughing at me and saying I was off my head because it was nothing and he didnt notice it and no one else would.

The moral of that situation, if the client is happy, that's all that matters. Still annoys me thou every time I look at it :(

Reactions: Pug
Sorry but It's not the trowel.
This below was left by a Mt.
so was this.

This was left using a speedskim and s*p*r*lex.
and so was this.

this was superflexed.

And so was this.

And this was finished completely with just a speedskim.

Attachments

• Sponges, spats,plazis and speed skims
    20140909_134345.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 258
These were done with a s*p*r*lex not touched with a mt only for putting and laying down..looks ok to me..until sun hit it..last gage we did flattening with s*p*r*lex..

Attachments

WP_20151217_001.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 321
    WP_20151217_002.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 299
I have bought all of the above, used them for a bit and come to the decision that for skimming nothing is as good as a plain old marshalltown... I always go back to the same way I learnt as an apprentice, 2 coats, flatten in and polish!

Is it just me ? I see loads of boys work which is decent, but the 2 best I've ever seen only use a steel trowel.. I also thing sponge floats are great, IF you're not a great spread and take to long to get over it...

I'd only consider using a spat/speed skim these days if it was a really big hit and I was stretched.. They're all over rated If you ask me. Thoughts ?

At last somebody speaking sense.You must be over 25.Expect the usual you're too old to change etc b*ll***s

I'm 43 mash, only started with speedskim 6 months ago. Think it's fantastic on ceilings.

beddy the waterstone guru ordered my self 3 double sided stones 240/800 2000/4000 6000/8000 didn't get a strop tho the well is dry at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.